corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Gym Peeps: Work out question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gym Peeps: Work out question
AdZ9

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 08 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you won't get more musclar if you dont train/eat like a BB'er but you still need to weight train mate trust me, otherwise you'll just look "skinny fat" which just means you'll be a smaller size of what you are now
RyanSxi

3rd Jan 08 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back to the original question tho, would I be able to achive my goal by using JUST dumbells and cardio. Or am I pissing in the wind?
AdZ9

3rd Jan 08 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pissing in the wind if i'm honest. You'd be alright joining your local gym/fitness suite for your goals to be honest, with people around you it motivates you to. Need strong will power to workout at home.

Although you could think about getting a set of weights and bench etc, would be around £200ish though.

For you and your goals an all over body workout 3x a week along with cardio will see you meet your goals imo. You cant just do arms and chest because you want them bigger, your body works in unison and grows in proportion. Its like buying a a 500bhp super car and then fitting 1.0ltr Corsa brakes to it, it just isn't going to work!
Carl

3rd Jan 08 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
its not toning, its maintaining is what they do.

As Seth has said theres no such thing as toning in my eyes, when people saying toning i immdeiately think they just like to lift a few light weights, make it look like they are doing something and call it toning so it makes it sound like the trip to the gym is worth it

Not too sure, they are still training and progressing, just different fibres with different attributes, increasing lactic threashhold etc of the actual muscle.

But yeah talking in an everyday person's situation, toning is defo a shit word.
Carl

3rd Jan 08 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IF you insist on doing it at home i'd opt for a barbell and some weights so you can perform some squating and deadlifting. A chin up bar preferably one you can get a wide grip on for when you get more into it. and some level surfaces you can do dips on.
It won't hinder you (unless you end up injured!) but it would be far from optimising your time.
RyanSxi

3rd Jan 08 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main reason I ask is, I dont want to go to th gym as is and not have a clue what i'm doing

Although I spose I could get a personal trainer to tell me what the crack is
AdZ9

3rd Jan 08 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone has to start somewhere mate, otherwise gyms would be empty. Most gyms will be having a no sign up fee right now so you could sign up without paying a shit fee. Don't be intimidated at the gym, 90% of the time people aren't looking at you anyway as they are to busy worrying if people are looking at them.

go sign up, have your induction, get a set of maybe 10 PT sessions (do 2 a week) and after a month you'll know what to do and will be on the right path.
As Seth said though get someone who looks like they know what they are talkin about, dont get some 10 stone wet through runt telling you how to bench press etc.
Carl

3rd Jan 08 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
The main reason I ask is, I dont want to go to th gym as is and not have a clue what i'm doing

Just phone up the place and say you want an experienced one to run you through it all, or go visit and have a scout and see if any of the instructors run a side business as a personal trainer (they will usually advertise it somewhere in the gym), then get them as your fitness instructor, at least that way you know their knowledge will be more indepth than if you got someone new to it. You can then ask them as many questions as you like as you are paying them as your fitness instructor.
Jamescorsa97

3rd Jan 08 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i was in college and I had no £££££ at all i did this home workout ever day I never played football(which was 3 times a week)followed by a 30 min jog.

1. Warm up for 3 mins
2. Press ups 20 reps - 1 min rest
3.Crunches 20 resp - 30 secs rest
4. press ups 2 reps 30 secs rest
5. leg raises 25 reps - 30 secs rest
6.press ups 20 reps - 30 secs rest
7.V - Crunches 20 resp - 30 secs rest
8. press ups - 20 reps - 30 secs rest
9. Tricep dips 20 reps - 30 secs rest
10. Crossover crunches 20 reps - 30 secs rest
11. Hyp[er extensions 20 reps - 30 secs rest
12. tricep Dips 20 reps - 30 secs rest
13. Leg Raises 25 reps then warm down.

I know this seems really basic but i did this with no money and it worked a treat getting ready for holiday with cardio every other day. I did also cut then jog out on the same day as this ever now and then.

You could also fit some dumbell work in there for a bit of variety.

As i say it's only what i did with not much money, it's no great shakes.

It got me fit and tones.

[Edited on 03-01-2008 by Jamescorsa97]
RyanSxi

3rd Jan 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the sort of thing im after for just starting out + im skint

although half those things mean nothing to me will have to look em up when I get home later
Jamescorsa97

4th Jan 08 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry bud U2U me and i will explain what ever you don't understand about it.
radicalry00

4th Jan 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
The main reason I ask is, I dont want to go to the gym as is and not have a clue what i'm doing

Honestly mate, 90% of people feel the same way. I was paranoid that everyone would be looking at me/thinking I'm a little newb, but in the end they all started somewhere.

My little brother has just started and says the same thing but I let him come with me and I know quite a few lads down at gym now too. I reckon it makes him feel a lot more comfortable. He's also useful as a spotter .

Save your money, get a membership at your local gym and find someone knowledgable to show you the ropes (or ask on here)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Gym Peeps: Work out question 23 database queries in 0.0077510 seconds