corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » EPS

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EPS
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
24th Jan 08 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forget to brake ABS isnt going to apply the brakes for you
ed

24th Jan 08 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about that new Volvo with autobrake on it. I haven't heard of a more retarded idea before in my life
Sammy07

24th Jan 08 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i know but when i finally remmeber last minute it might stop me from crashing lol
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

24th Jan 08 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sammy07
i sometimes forget to brake lol i am female...

Maybe you should 'forget' to get in your car on a morning then and walk instead
Sammy07

24th Jan 08 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol he he im only joking.. im not that bad honest, was just wondering why it doesnt have abs thats all
T21SVJ

24th Jan 08 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive gone from a car with ABS to 1 without, didnt even think to look if it had ABS in the first place before i bought it like

skided the first night i had the car and thought o yea i dont have ABS nomore
Eck
Premium Member

25th Jan 08 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
no it does go off but i just wondered what it was lol...
i breaked on a little bit of frost the other day to test it and my wheels screeched and skidded... good old vauxhall safety
i found it hard to believe abs didnt come as standard on them to be honest...
ABS is a load of shite. I would much rather be in full control of my brakes.
DarkBahamut

25th Jan 08 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eckmcmann
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
no it does go off but i just wondered what it was lol...
i breaked on a little bit of frost the other day to test it and my wheels screeched and skidded... good old vauxhall safety
i found it hard to believe abs didnt come as standard on them to be honest...
ABS is a load of shite. I would much rather be in full control of my brakes.

This is all good and well till something pulls out infont of you on the motorway and you have to slam your brakes on.

I had a corsa without ABS and if you ever needed to brake hard because of something/someone it was a death trap. My new corsa does have ABS and i certainly intend to never ever own a car without ABS ever again.
Jay

25th Jan 08 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like the feel of ABS if you have to brake hard, I reckon ive reacted better when I haven't had ABS if im honest.

Edit: to the comment on braking on ice/frost, I found the pedal vibrated loads and the car still slid on ice/frost with ABS. Much prefer normal brakes

[Edited on 25-01-2008 by JayM]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
25th Jan 08 at 02:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To answer a few questions - retrofitting ABS to a car that doesn't have it is a big job as you not only need the ABS components themselves which moderate braking but also all associated sensors and electronics, which normally means different hub and braking assembly for assessing wheel speed.

Secondly regarding pedal feel when ABS is activated, this may not feel nice but all other things being equal, the car is stopping better than it ABS were not fitted. If ABS comes in then by definition, you have a wheel locked, therefore you have not made proper use of pedal feedback anyway.

Furthermore I'm frankly quite surprised if you blame a skid on not having ABS fitted. ABS is not a reason to drive badly because it will rescue you, merely a system to assist in retaining steering in the event of a skid.

If you're skidding because your car doesn't have it, my advice would be to take things a bit easier. Its all very well saying that you would prefer unassisted brakes and deal with skids yourself but my bet would be that unless you are experienced in handling the situation, the ABS system probably would have done better, plus you get to steer the car as well.

I would rather have the help in all honesty.

[Edited on 25-01-2008 by Ian]
AndyKent

25th Jan 08 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are really worried, go up to somewhere like Silverstone and to the skid pan driving - they teach you loads of things, including how to control a skid, how to brake with and without ABS (there are two techniques if you didn't know).

As Ian says, the idea of the system is to continue braking effectively when most people would have their foot planted on the floor. I'd rather have it in my car, but wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't, certainly wouldn't mean I would or wouldn't buy a certain car.
Joe

25th Jan 08 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think in this thread most of these problems are down to the people behind the wheel. Cars don't NEED ABS, you just need to learn to drive. Also I have never been in a C with a bad clutch, no wonder it took you about 50 times to pass your test Phi
Phi

25th Jan 08 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf! ile show you numerous threads on corsa c forum if you would like....
how is a clutch got to do with how i passed my test..i drove a 307! not a Vauxhall!!!

[Edited on 25-01-2008 by Corsa_phi]
John

25th Jan 08 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a fault then as I said on the previous page, all the c's i've driven have clutches working properly and they were fine.
Phi

25th Jan 08 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly thats what i said it was 1.2's and 1.4's are known for it!..but apparently thats why i couldnt pass my test 4 times john! lol
Fonz
Premium Member

25th Jan 08 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aPk
If you are really worried, go up to somewhere like Silverstone and to the skid pan driving - they teach you loads of things, including how to control a skid, how to brake with and without ABS (there are two techniques if you didn't know).

i went on one of these, great fun driving the A4 and burning rubber and fuel that isnt mine!

well worth it, the instructors as you'd expect are brilliant and really patient. i learn alot about car control, not just skidding but they teach you how to read the road and indicators which indicate what the road will be doing ahead
AndyKent

25th Jan 08 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definately

Was great fun and I learnt something too

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » EPS 22 database queries in 0.0152140 seconds