corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clio 172's/Cups!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clio 172's/Cups!
Baskey

User status: Offline
14th Aug 08 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

172 stand for ps not bhp. most make about 160 bhp.

I love mine, had it 3 years done 60k in it (its just shy of 80k now) and its been very reliable.

There quick of the line but not that fast once going, however the handlings and breaks are in a different league to most hatch's imo

John

14th Aug 08 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you think the brakes are good

I think they are shit, There was randomly a 182 jacked up with the wheel off in asda yesterday and it reminded me just how small the brakes are, could be much bigger.
davey_jack

14th Aug 08 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, I would say one that is pushing 160bhp is seriously down on power 172ps equates to about 170bhp, its only metric unit for horsepower.
Clio sport brakes are brilliant, I can outbrake so many other cars with mine, the discs are 280mm as standard, XE brakes are only 256mm! They are more than capable of stopping the car in good time!
Dean_W

14th Aug 08 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I been looking at these........good motor for the money me tinks
steve101

14th Aug 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The renault 280mm brakes are impressive, I've got them on the megane, with 259s on the rears, and they do a good job.
rikkgti

14th Aug 08 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clio 172 and a 2.0 corsa the fuck all in em
Baskey

14th Aug 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

no its a fact they are good
Fad

14th Aug 08 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Best brakes i've ever experienced in any hatch and everyone who's driven m 182 agrees. I even had four pots on my Corsa Valver and these beat it for feel and response hands down.

Also I had an XE Corsa which I will agree was a tad more torquey in gear so you have to work the Clio harder but fuck mine its better in every department and far more rewarding.

People who wish to throw money at an XE Corsa ( I used to be one of them) then claim they had 172/182 at the traffic lights can laugh but untill they experience other real drivers cars I feel they cannot really comment on what makes a great hot hatch. Adam B will agree with me here.

Also I had a mk4 GSi worst car I ever owned so much so I did 3.5k in the one year I owned it. Got my Clio last November and have just clocked 20k in it.

Can honestly say that it is the best car I have ever owned for sheer fun and how it makes you feel. Also being an Evo rated 5 star car really says it all.

John everyones entitled to their own opinion but I had a Gabia VRS on a 3 day test drive and as much as it was impressive in a stright line it doesnt even come close to being as good as the Clio..two very different kettles of fish.

One thing to be weary about it servicing on Clios is a tad expensive as are the parts but Cups are geneally cheaper to keep as they dont have aircon and the fancy aux belt arrangement.

Also it does have some quirks like a slightly high driving position and poor turning circle but its quite easy to live with when it exells in everything else.

Drive one and make your own mind up.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 08 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll say what I said in the last thread the same as this....

I've driven one (Cup) a fair few times, the driving itself is great, it handles brilliantly (on 15s and Eibachs (I think)) but there's two things which I really couldn't live with long term;

1) I think the driving position is awful, the seat doesn't go low enough and I couldn't get the backrest how I wanted it, the pedals aren't in quite the right place either, they're slightly offset to one side and you know it after a long journey.

2) The gear lever feels crap, the actual knob just doesn't feel right and the action feels a bit shit too.

That said though, I probably COULD live with one, I'm picking fault on an otherwise great car.

I'd have a Trophy, regardless of the gearknob/seat situation

Oh, they're a bit dull low down too but when you get them wound up they're pretty damn good.

On the motorway on a long journey it'd probably be the shittest car you could pick, but on the right roads (or a kart track ) you're not going to find anything better with the wrong driven wheels.

One thing I would say about the Cup though, is be careful with the front splitter
Gez G

14th Aug 08 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I beat a clio 182 in my Astra GSi so can belive it losing to an XE Corsa
Fad

14th Aug 08 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I'll say what I said in the last thread the same as this....

1) I think the driving position is awful, the seat doesn't go low enough and I couldn't get the backrest how I wanted it, the pedals aren't in quite the right place either, they're slightly offset to one side and you know it after a long journey.

Not really it is like any hot hatch it has it quirks which is easy to live with, Evo commented on how easy it was to toe heel and drive hard, i'm sure if I had any driving talent I would love to exploit this

2) The gear lever feels crap, the actual knob just doesn't feel right and the action feels a bit shit too.
again nothing you cant adjust to....ever felt the position of the gear sitck in an E30 m3? Very un natural unless you are some kind of racing god

That said though, I probably COULD live with one, I'm picking fault on an otherwise great car.

On the motorway on a long journey it'd probably be the shittest car you could pick, but on the right roads (or a kart track ) you're not going to find anything better with the wrong driven wheels.
Mine sits on the motorway every day as I travel for my job...ever sat on the motorway in a Vtec Honda? Much harsher

One thing I would say about the Cup though, is be careful with the front splitter

Agreed

Basically if it was RWD rusty and rwd you wouldnt be picking faults in it
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 08 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, that's just what I think of it, it's a fantastic car but it is flawed IMO, nothing which couldn't be sorted, but in standard form, those are the only things which I didn't like.

I could write a list as long as my arm for things I don't like in a lot of cars, this list is short and therefore good

I would have one, but I'd have to change the driver's seat, everything else I'd just deal with.
Fad

14th Aug 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robin why are e30 m3's soooo expensive
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 08 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because they're fully awesome?
Fad

14th Aug 08 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but doesnt help me when its the only car I want right now

Dunno whether the 12k ones are dreamers money or not?
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 08 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Holy fuck they've gone up in price quickly

Looking at those (pistonheads), I'd say £12k would get you a very good one.
Fad

14th Aug 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd hope an Evo 2 at least but I should of plunged for one 6 months ago when I had money
John

14th Aug 08 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gez G
I beat a clio 182 in my Astra GSi so can belive it losing to an XE Corsa

Mk4?

If so my 172 was even with one off a roundabout up to near 100.

Seating position, clutch and gearbox are all balls no matter how well it handles.

[Edited on 14-08-2008 by John]
Ben D

14th Aug 08 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick Q: what do you think would be the better/Quicker car out of a Clio cup & a 206 GTi (180)?
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 08 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot about the clutch
John

14th Aug 08 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd pick a clio over the 206 anyday, why do people buy them at all?
Jordan C

14th Aug 08 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arghhh u lot are puting me off them now:L think il go test drive one and see for my self!
Fad

14th Aug 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I forgot about the clutch

Don't be a pansy I drive mine round London in stop start traffic and granted its not the most fluid its easy to live with day to day. I dont get some people they are quite happy to upgrade clutches in their XE's\LETS drive them daily and but up with it being stiff?
Robin
Premium Member

14th Aug 08 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF, I've driven a lot of different cars, some with standard clutches, some with paddle clutches, my Fiesta has a paddle clutch...

They've pretty much all been better for clutch weight and action than Broster's Clio, I'm sure he'll agree there too.

All of the paddle clutches we put in cars are lighter and easier to use than the Clio one.

You'd get used to it driving it every day though, although Mark still uses it as an example saying "paddle clutches aren't as bad as the internet would make you believe, I've got a Clio Cup and a Corsa with a paddle clutch and the Corsa has a nicer clutch feel" to a customer if they're unsure about if they can live with a paddle clutch.
John

14th Aug 08 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip its not just the fact its heavy, you get used to that quick enough, it's just not very good.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clio 172's/Cups! 22 database queries in 0.0164990 seconds