corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » pic reguest (v6 brake setup)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author pic reguest (v6 brake setup)
Ste L

User status: Offline
25th Aug 08 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well they are slightly bigger than turbo brakes, with are used on heavier car's with 200bhp,

so they'll be more than up to the job on a 200bhp corsa, which is lighter
GregGsi
Premium Member

26th Aug 08 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my v6 brakes

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by GregGsi]

BHP vaux
Daimo B

26th Aug 08 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
well they are slightly bigger than turbo brakes, with are used on heavier car's with 200bhp,

so they'll be more than up to the job on a 200bhp corsa, which is lighter

It'll peform the same if you swap the master cylinder over yeah.

But that one doesn't fit in a corsa bay...

So no, V6 brakes are a cheap alternative, yes they brake, but don't expect face in window braking. Expect a long pedal too.

Part of the reason i wont let Donna take D5 out till those 4 pots are on. I don't think V6's are up to the job really. OK as a cheap fix though.
Corsa_Sport21

26th Aug 08 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I totally dis-agree with some of the above.
I have turbo calipers and fiat coupe discs and the pedal travels maybe 10mm and then it bites hard.Infact id say it bites harder than the 4pots i had on my old Pulsar with 300mm grooved discs.Maybe its down to the smaller piston in the turbo calipers but surely it cant make that much a difference compared to v6 calipers.Wee had a close call when some idiot pulled out in front and when the GF hit the brakes,i came right out my seat.

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by Corsa_Sport21]
Kurt

26th Aug 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V6 calipers are bad but a double tap on the brake pedal firms it right up if needed
Robin
Premium Member

26th Aug 08 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree with Daimo too, again.
Mobby

26th Aug 08 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would i notice pedal travel on 256mm brake set up without braided hoses?
Daimo B

26th Aug 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
V6 calipers are bad but a double tap on the brake pedal firms it right up if needed

Exactly

This means bad brakes.... When your coming into a 90 degree bend form 100+mph, thats the last thing u'll want to be doing... Brakes should be responsive, with good pressure, and good feel without fade, even after a few laps hard abuse.

Robin is right, ignore me, i only had a set for 7 years.. Donnas only had hers 6 years. She ran the fiat coupe discs/drilled setup. In fact, they were a brand new re-conditioned set of calipers.

I never ran 256mm at all I never wished id kept the 2.0 16v setup as it was far superior in every way. Pedal, braking, response etc....

Way i see it.

256 - Budget best setup, instant bite and good feel, get a little spongy when used hard for a bit.
288 - More expensive, MUCH worse pedal feel, same braking force as 256, can be run harder for longer than 256, take longer to cook
4 pots - Most expensive, instant bite, good feel, solid pedal, hardly any brake fade.

Seeing as brakes are kind of important, you choose which is best. As i've had a few sets, id say 256 are best (£30 from scrappy, new seals, sorted), but if you can afford them, 4 pots are the best on a CORSA.

I've not really spoken to anyone who actually knows about cars who enjoyed the pedal distance on V6's, and when really pushed, brake fade+bad pedal = NO brakes at all!!!!

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by VXR]
Ste L

26th Aug 08 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heard the same about the travel thing...

thats why turbo brakes are better than v6's... same size piston's as 256's, but bigger disk's so no pedal difference
Daimo B

26th Aug 08 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donna runs the V6 284mm, I ran Turbo 288mm (or whichever way round ) and found no huge difference, but her pedal is a little better than mine, but then she runs ABS where-as mine had no assist. She also has the full M-Tec rear disc conversion though, so always had the full setup.

I just don't like them, its not what I personnally define as good brakes. Anyone who does think their good, really needs to get out in a properly setup car with some real anchors on board.

The astras brakes are spongey, which i don't like, but the major difference is that, they still work well when you really stamp, where-as the V6/Turbo calipers never really had that massive bite you would expect from such large brakes.

And tbh, if your stripping a Nova/Corsa for track, they should be down in the 800kg region, and a set of 256's with good discs and pads should do the job.

Also remember, bigger the brakes, the more weight you've got up front.

Talking of which, anyone want to buy my 288mm setup off me. They don't really fit my bike
cheekyalex

26th Aug 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

Exactly

This means bad brakes.... When your coming into a 90 degree bend form 100+mph, thats the last thing u'll want to be doing... Brakes should be responsive, with good pressure, and good feel without fade, even after a few laps hard abuse.

Robin is right, ignore me, i only had a set for 7 years.. Donnas only had hers 6 years. She ran the fiat coupe discs/drilled setup. In fact, they were a brand new re-conditioned set of calipers.

I never ran 256mm at all I never wished id kept the 2.0 16v setup as it was far superior in every way. Pedal, braking, response etc....

Way i see it.

256 - Budget best setup, instant bite and good feel, get a little spongy when used hard for a bit.
288 - More expensive, MUCH worse pedal feel, same braking force as 256, can be run harder for longer than 256, take longer to cook
4 pots - Most expensive, instant bite, good feel, solid pedal, hardly any brake fade.

Seeing as brakes are kind of important, you choose which is best. As i've had a few sets, id say 256 are best (£30 from scrappy, new seals, sorted), but if you can afford them, 4 pots are the best on a CORSA.

I've not really spoken to anyone who actually knows about cars who enjoyed the pedal distance on V6's, and when really pushed, brake fade+bad pedal = NO brakes at all!!!!

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by VXR]

at the moment ive got a set of v6 calipers and find them ok on the road, not tried them on a track but for road use the pedal feel isnt too bad, even though the feel is a bit spongey when you first hit the pedal they are definantly doing the job pretty much as soon as you hit the pedal,and if you hit them hard you definantly do end up kissing the windscreen, especially from high speeds.

however i havent tried a 256mm set up on a corsa yet so there isnt much i can compare to. If the set ive got for sale doesnt sell this week i might give them a try,could even do a brake test if any one actually cares.

I could actually do a pretty fair test between all the brake 3 options actually, as ive got a set of new ap racing 4pots with brackets to fit the 288mm vauxhall discs in my garage too,hmmmmmm what a way to waste a sunday.
Daimo B

26th Aug 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never travelled in any corsas with any V6/Turbo setup that inspired any real confidence. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Enough to brake, but never throught he window stuff, ever..... In fact, the best i've actually fealt, was the Wilwood 285mm setup. Big enoguh to disperse heat, light enough, the only downer at the time (few years back now) was that the pistons USED to be exposed so got gritty easily. I don't know if Wilwood changed this design though (2002 onwards).

Everyones gonna have their own opinion, mine is that they just aint that great at being brakes, but do excel in looking spunktastic behined some 16"s

Ahhh 2002..

2005/6 sometime around then

DaveB

26th Aug 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Enough to brake, but never throught he window stuff, ever..... In fact, the best i've actually fealt, was the Wilwood 285mm setup. Big enoguh to disperse heat, light enough, the only downer at the time (few years back now) was that the pistons USED to be exposed so got gritty easily. I don't know if Wilwood changed this design though (2002 onwards).

Dynalite - no dust covers
Midilite - dust covers (extra £150 a pair or something, LOL)
Robin
Premium Member

26th Aug 08 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo, you really are a nobby cunt sometimes.

I disagree with you as mine were bang on, the pedal was hard, the travel wasn't stupidly long, I never had to double tap the pedal...

My experience of them is different to yours, mine were fine, yours obviously weren't.

I NEVER made them fade, neither did Broster, even on track, they never lost any of their ability, they're FAR better than the 256s I had ON THE SAME CAR.

Just because yours were shit doesn't mean they're always shit.

They look better behind 15s than 16s too BTW.
Kurt

26th Aug 08 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats where i disagree robin

look alright to me
Adam_B

26th Aug 08 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had 256s on my corsa (originally a 1.2 8v non-abs) to begin with when the XE first went in, there was loads of travel in the pedal but they were acceptable on the road. On track they were completely gash, braided lines helped with the feel but they still overheated far too quickly.

Swapped to the Reyland 4 pot setup, AP callipers and 300mm 2 piece discs and the pedal was marginally better and they didnt really overheat. They stopped well but never felt brilliant, drove a 94 GSi with V6 setup and abs, on the road and the pedal on that felt lovely. I didnt push it though as the owner was following me in a rental van.

There must be some differences, possibly to do with abs? i remember going into vauxhall one day asking about master cylinders on corsas and they said they only have 2 different part numbers, with and without abs. Also i beleive there is some differences to do with the bias valve?

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by Adam_B]
Daimo B

27th Aug 08 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

And your a long haired hippy tree hugger, your point is?

Oh, also, as you clearly cant read the full sentance behined that shaggy hair.....

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Everyones gonna have their own opinion, mine is that they just aint that great at being brakes,

Also, if they have never faded on you (brake later and harder then.....), you haven't been trying all that hard, and if there SO good, I presume Broster still has them on his corsa, as he doesn't need 4 pots, as your saying they are just as good, if not better....

[Edited on 27-08-2008 by VXR]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Aug 08 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jeez Daimo theres no need to get personal is there? Yes he called you a nobby cunt but there was no need for them type of comments.
willay
Premium Member

27th Aug 08 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh then it gets edited.
Mobby

27th Aug 08 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
jeez Daimo theres no need to get personal is there? Yes he called you a nobby cunt but there was no need for them type of comments.

there was no need for him to call him a nobby badger tbh, he was giving his opinion. i though that if people cant handle the fact that thats his opinion then they shouldnt be on here
willay
Premium Member

27th Aug 08 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mobby
quote:

there was no need for him to call him a nobby badger tbh, he was giving his opinion. i though that if people cant handle the fact that thats his opinion then they shouldnt be on here

yes but Daimo went that step further by insulting the way robin looks (before the edit). Being called a cunt on this forum is quite common.
Mobby

27th Aug 08 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wasnt actually badger though was it, it was C / U / N / T

[Edited on 27-08-2008 by mobby]

[Edited on 27-08-2008 by mobby]
Whittie

27th Aug 08 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mobby
quote:

yes but Daimo went that step further by insulting the way robin looks (before the edit). Being called a cunt on this forum is quite common.

Agree with that, but mobby is right, if you give an opinion and someone doesn't agree, why reply in the first place? Just making something out of nothing.
willay
Premium Member

27th Aug 08 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at my posts, I have recongised the fact that Robin called him nobby

mobby - yes it was the C word I was talking about (quote my posts ) - Again it isnt uncommon to be called a cunt here.

Theres a difference between being called a gimp, prick, arsehole, cunt, bitch and personal insults against someones looks.

Yes they were both giving their opinions, Robin wasnt right to come out with the nobby cunt remark in the first place but coming back with a personal insult isnt the way.

Anyway, back to why v6's are shit.
Robin
Premium Member

27th Aug 08 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Robin

And your a long haired hippy tree hugger, your point is?

Oh, also, as you clearly cant read the full sentance behined that shaggy hair.....

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Everyones gonna have their own opinion, mine is that they just aint that great at being brakes,

Also, if they have never faded on you (brake later and harder then.....), you haven't been trying all that hard, and if there SO good, I presume Broster still has them on his corsa, as he doesn't need 4 pots, as your saying they are just as good, if not better....

[Edited on 27-08-2008 by VXR]

indeed.

1) I no longer have long hair
2) Broster DOES still have V6 brakes and they're amazing.

As for braking later and harder, anyone who ever went out in that car with me will tell you how late and how hard I used to brake, that's the reason I have total confidence in them.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » pic reguest (v6 brake setup) 23 database queries in 0.0182791 seconds