corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Pet Day] Dog owners - advice plix! NOW WITH ADDED PICS

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author [Pet Day] Dog owners - advice plix! NOW WITH ADDED PICS
Jules

User status: Offline
2nd Sep 08 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As people seemed to of missed it:

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
<snip>My parents have said that they can pop in on him from time to time when I'm working to make sure he's ok<snip>

[Edited on 02-09-2008 by Jules]
Ren

2nd Sep 08 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pop in from time to time is completely different to house sitting. It's like adopting a kid and just leaving it in an unfamiliar enviroment alone. Checks every hour aint even enough.
Charlotte

2nd Sep 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh shhh... a dog is a dog. its not a human. he just said its not like its getting left on its own all day is it. as long as they can see people at time to time it will be fine. i might even look out the window at people...

or jules do what we do and leave a tele on and they still think your home haha
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Sep 08 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jules, seeing as you're so god damn rich, you should name it 'dollar', just like Richie Rich (me)
Jules

2nd Sep 08 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Jules, seeing as you're so god damn rich, you should name it 'dollar', just like Richie Rich (me)

Yeah I'll ask my dad for some of his 330k/year he DOESN'T earn and hire a full time live in doggy butler!

[Edited on 02-09-2008 by Jules]
Russ

2nd Sep 08 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dogs are pack animals and don't like being alone. 4 hours is a maximum really. Plus, little dogs are shit lol
Jules

5th Sep 08 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of an update, I pick up this little fella next Wednesday, he belong to a couple I went to school with, they saw on Facebook that I was looking for a dog and got in touch - they are having to get rid of him as him and their 1year old son aren't really mixing too well and they don't wanna put the kid up for adoption
Been to see him and spend a bit of time with him and he's awesome!
He's Jack (0 points for originality) and he's a 2 year old Jack Russell cross Patterdale.
I've asked if they can take him to the vets before I take over ownership of him and have his nuts chopped as he's very very active currently (bordering on hyperactive) and they have agreed - it's being done next Tuesday the day before I pick him up, I've paid the bill for that (maybe it'll make the move easier for him as he'll hate his current owners I expect so might take a shine to me a bit easier )

I've been out today and got a few things in preperation, I've got a big sack of Bakers dry dog food here from my ex's old dogs and I've just been and bought a couple of toys/balls for him and a box of gravy bone treats as I want to get him out of a couple of bad habits he currently has (see below).
The current owners are giving me all his baskets/blankets/bowls etc which should hopefully make him feel a bit more "at home" in a new home with a few familar items around him.

Now, onto the habits he has, as I mentioned he is really active and I'm not sure how much he gets walked at the moment so that is one of the first things I'll do, but he's a quick rundown of things he does and how I'd like to change them - any ideas on how to achieve them would be great:

Walking off a lead - The current owners say they are too scared to take him off his lead, to me that is unacceptable - what is the point of walking a dog is they are restrained by a lead? So for now I've got one of the long retractable leads so he can go far but I don't have the worry of him running off and probably going back to his current house, eventually I'd like to be able to take him off the lead completely for walks and expect him to stay fairly close to me as I walk round with him and for him to come back to me when called. Ideas?

Licking ears/face - It seems he has been taught to "kiss" you if you bend down and ask for a kiss, he will stand up and give your ear a little lick - I don't have too much of a problem with that, what was happening when I was there though was I was sitting on the sofa, he would jump up and rest his front legs on my shoulders and lick my ear/side of face non-stop until I picked him up and put him on the floor - that I have a big problem with as I don't want him trying to do it to guests that might come round to visit, doing it as a one-off on command is bareable, having to fend him off whilst trying to have a conversation with someone isn't! Ideas?

Talking/Barking - Currently if you say to him "talk" he barks (I personally think he hears "walk" and thinks he's going out") for this he gets told off by the current owners because occasionaly if you say "talk" to him he will give a little whimper/whine noise - for which he get's congratulated and a treat.
Now, I don't mind him having little tricks like that but how can I teach him to be a bit more consistant at doing them?
I think having the keyword as "talk" is a bit silly because it is so close to "walk" - which I know from my ex's dogs - they would go nuts upon hearing!
Is there anyway I could change the keyword to something like "speak"?
I know it seems daft but if he is capable of doing it inconsistently I'd like to further that ability and have him do it "properly" if you understand what I mean? Ideas?

That's about it really, no doubt as I learn more of his traits I'll have more questions!

Oh yeah - pics, these are a few I managed to get - about the only ones that weren't a black/brown blur!
He stood still for a few seconds so did the best I could!

[Edited on 05-09-2008 by Jules]
Jamie-C

5th Sep 08 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a nice dog, Once he gets used to you and your location you shold be able to let him of the lead, my jack cross springer is hardly on the lead and come straight back to me on command.

The licking mine also does but only when shes giddy, she only does it to family members who live in my house, she has never done it to a stranger.

Hope you treat him well

[Edited on 05-09-2008 by Jamie-C]
Jules

5th Sep 08 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Jamie - I have every intention to!

Any pics of your Jack x Spriger? Sounds like a unusual combination!
Jamie-C

5th Sep 08 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, Young kids when im walking her always say, Look at the sausage dog

[Edited on 05-09-2008 by Jamie-C]
Jules

5th Sep 08 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never seen one like that!

It's like a XL Jacks body with a small Springers head photoshopped on!
Does she (?) have a springers coat? It looks like it but the smooth hair of the Jack?
I'm proper confused!

Looks awesome though!
Might have to take mine to the beach once he's fully settled in
Jambo

5th Sep 08 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he looks cool jules. I suggest training him to rock.
Jules

5th Sep 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
he looks cool jules. I suggest training him to rock.

So he can smell what he's cooking and can raise one eyebrow?

Oh wait - I see what you mean - he will have no choice!
Jambo

5th Sep 08 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you can get him to throw doggy horns, you will live in infamy

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Pet Day] Dog owners - advice plix! NOW WITH ADDED PICS 22 database queries in 0.0369089 seconds