corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Accountant

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Accountant
BigSte

User status: Offline
5th Jan 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left school at 16 and started AAT, moved straight onto ACCA but been taking it very easy....also had a year out when my son was born.

Just turned 24 years old and got 2 exams left to sit on ACCA.

Started on about £10k when I first started out, and currently earning around £28k. Once I pass my ACCA I would hope to be on around £35k which is quite a good wage outside London.

My mates went into 'cool' jobs like plastering or bricklaying and I can confidently say I earn more than any of them.

People look at Accountancy as a boring profession and have stereotypes of what Accountants should be like..... got to say it's nowt like that. I love the work I do but probably wouldn't suite everyone.

Tell your Mrs it's a good steady career, but will take at least 7/8 years to train to a decent level and earn big money
Daimo B

5th Jan 09 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
It aint no quick fix

Hoping to start it in september.

Exams are the easy part.
Its the project thats the hardest part.

Missy done her exams about 5-6 years ago, but didn't do the project, so had to re-sit the last exams and re-do the project.

If your getting into accountancy, getting an ACCA will do you far better than getting a degree first.

Once you've got the ACCA, the world opens a lot more as to where to go in accountancy

(PS, just speaking from what my other halfs said over the years).
Fad

5th Jan 09 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done the ACCA route and got to 2 exams before qualifying and then took a huge decision to leave the profession. Took a massive pay cut but i'm happier and in a proffession I can see myself doing in years to come.

Also moving out of working in London is a nice feeling.

No point saying that its mind numbingly boring as some people (i.e Robbo) love their jobs and do well. For me I just was not feeling the industry and wanted someone more fulfilling.

If you are starting from scratch start with the AAT as this gives you a good grounding in the basics.
MJFF88

5th Jan 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any accountants fancy doing a small'ish job free of charge for me?
Tommy L

5th Jan 09 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the job, and i'll do it for a small fee
Robbo

5th Jan 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don;'t mind my new jnob (when I actually have sumamt to do that is) but in fairness Ive worked very hard to gte to be ina position wher eI was able to choose what UI wanted to do etc
Daimo B

5th Jan 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fad what you do now then?
Daimo B

5th Jan 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
I don;'t mind my new jnob (when I actually have sumamt to do that is) but in fairness Ive worked very hard to gte to be ina position wher eI was able to choose what UI wanted to do etc

Opposite to Donna then She simply doesn't have enough time in the day to get her work done. But then shes like a FC, payroll manager, and something else too.

I keep whinging that she needs a trainee or secretary. Although her little brothers now doing ACCA At the same place of work
MJFF88

5th Jan 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
Whats the job, and i'll do it for a small fee

U2U'd
Fad

5th Jan 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Quantity surveyor. Office is in Maidstone (ish)
Robbo

5th Jan 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:

Opposite to Donna then She simply doesn't have enough time in the day to get her work done. But then shes like a FC, payroll manager, and something else too.

I keep whinging that she needs a trainee or secretary. Although her little brothers now doing ACCA At the same place of work
Its n ot usually too bad but like today I have literally nothign to do
Daimo B

5th Jan 09 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Quantity surveyor. Office is in Maidstone (ish)

Blimey thats a change, no wonder i've noticed the attitude change Nahh thats what Grigglett does.

I'd like to get into construction or something, but would need an engineering degree for that, then ave to start off as the brick boy, so that isn't gonna happen

Robbo, see thats the opposite. 1st day back, shed loads of stuff to be done. I don't expect to see her home before 7pm tonight.
Fad

5th Jan 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really mate loads of routes into the construction industry mate although now isnt possibly the best time ti try it

Matt L

5th Jan 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fad your the second person i have known whos gone from accounting to quantity surveying, is it a relitively easy move? or is it completely different (realise this may be a stupid question.)
Daimo B

5th Jan 09 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fad, i'd want to be a project manager or architec of buildings.

Call it watching to much "extreme engineering" and similar programs on Documentry channels

Looks SO much fun, but those early starts, meh

Im still waiting for McLaren to sign me up with lewis for the 2010 season
Fad

5th Jan 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm is a completely different role but then again there are different kinds of QS's.

At the momeent my role is quite varied and i go to uni one day a week too. I'm exposed to a lot of building surveying and property management and I am slowly doing more and more project management.

I'm lucky my role is varied as I have mates in the industry that just do estimating and sums of quants all week

Took a big pay cut but i'm enjoying what I am doing. Its quite funny been there a year now and my review is tomorrow

The move it self Matt is only as easy as the effort you put into researching the job and being proactive in job hunting. Having the accounts background helped as I had a good understading of costing etc just need to work on my building technology knowledge.
Fad

5th Jan 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Fad, i'd want to be a project manager or architec of buildings.

Call it watching to much "extreme engineering" and similar programs on Documentry channels

Do a part time degree (RICs acredited one) and then start looking for jobs best way to do it. I think becomming an architect is a bit abitious unless you have lots of time on your hands. IIRC full time it takes 5 or more years
Fro

5th Jan 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:

Its n ot usually too bad but like today I have literally nothign to do

Want to help me with the monthly write offs?
Mad Moe

5th Jan 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fancy doing my personal tax return, they're in a right mess this year
Robbo

5th Jan 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nish and nish

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Accountant 22 database queries in 0.0136700 seconds