corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bone Marrow donating

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bone Marrow donating
Whittie

User status: Offline
5th Feb 09 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
i would donate bone marrow but i always thought you only did it when someone related to you needed it. didn't realise they kept a stock of it like they do with blood. think i'll have a read of that link now as i'm obviously ignorant about it all.

Relatives weren't a match with me. Quite weird tbh
C2RL R

5th Feb 09 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i mean. i know fuck all about it at all! do you mind if i ask why you needed a donor whittie?
Whittie

5th Feb 09 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a rare genetic condition mate.

Quote from their website;

quote:
What is CGD (Chronic Granulomatous Disorder)?

CGD is a rare and life-threatening genetic condition which could affect 8-10 people in a million of us. You are born with a faulty gene in your bone marrow, meaning your white blood cells cannot fight infections as they should. People with CGD have to take powerful antiobiotics and antifungals every day. But thanks to gifts from people like you, our understanding of CGD has hugely improved in recent years. Treatments including bone marrow transplants are increasingly successful. Although still in its infancy gene therapy offers real hope for the future with promising results from recent clinical trials.

We strive to create a better life for those living with CGD through support services for our families and through funding vital research to find improved treatments and a cure for those affected. Over the last 10 years more than £3.6 million has been invested into 39 research projects.

Chronic granulomatous disorder used to be known as chronic granulomatous disease; medical professionals and researchers still sometimes refer to it by this former title.

What is CGD

Chronic Granulomatous Disorder, is a rare, genetic condition which affects four in a million people. This was formerly known as chronic granulomatous disease and doctors still sometimes use this title. People with CGD have a faulty bone marrow gene, which means that certain white blood cells do not function correctly.

These are known as neutrophils, which are responsible for killing fungi and bacteria. Someone with CGD is more susceptible to fungal and bacterial infections. Medication is required continuously to keep infection at bay, but serious problems can arise that lead to life-threatening illnesses and prolonged periods in hospital. There has been increasing success with bone marrow Transplant. Although this is not without risk it is becoming possible for a greater number of affected children using related and more recently, unrelated matched donors.

But no single treatment is suitable for everyone. There are some people for whom transplant will not be possible. For these patients, the hope for a cure lies with gene replacement therapy.

Thanks to your help, and others like you, clinical trials of gene replacement therapy are underway. It’s a start but more work is needed before it can become a regular treatment option. To see how you can help make this possible, please donate or get involved. By helping the minority of people with CGD, you can potentially help millions more

C2RL R

5th Feb 09 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit mate i didn't realise. sorry pal.
Whittie

5th Feb 09 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Life goes on mate, not a lot I can do
pow
Premium Member

5th Feb 09 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alex
Whittie

5th Feb 09 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What? I don't tell a lot of people tbh

Four tablets a day for the last 15 years, ace.
richc

5th Feb 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie

I know it sounds dafft, but after reading it botu the blood cells, its just like being boring with Aids???
Whittie

5th Feb 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wanker
BluKoo

5th Feb 09 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the more reason for me to be a registered donor. I might be able to help the much loved alex!
Whittie

5th Feb 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Woop woop
C2RL R

5th Feb 09 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by Whittie

I know it sounds dafft, but after reading it botu the blood cells, its just like being boring with Aids???

what you on about?
Rob_Lee
Banned

6th Feb 09 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I give blood alot.

Funny story from the last time i went and donated.

I gave blood as normal... she took the needle out and i laid there for few mins like normal. Got up and started to walk the 50 yards to the drink and biscuit table and all of a sudden i was lying on the floor... apparently a just passed out while walking and landing flat on my face.

Was well embarrasing... loads of people looking and laughing.

The worst bit was the next time i went the nurse you talk to before you give blood obvoiusly had in her notes i'd passed out before, She was having a little piss take and a chuckle saying do i need someone to help me back to the drink table after.

Twiggy

6th Feb 09 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Lee
I give blood alot.

Funny story from the last time i went and donated.

I gave blood as normal... she took the needle out and i laid there for few mins like normal. Got up and started to walk the 50 yards to the drink and biscuit table and all of a sudden i was lying on the floor... apparently a just passed out while walking and landing flat on my face.

Was well embarrasing... loads of people looking and laughing.

The worst bit was the next time i went the nurse you talk to before you give blood obvoiusly had in her notes i'd passed out before, She was having a little piss take and a chuckle saying do i need someone to help me back to the drink table after.

At least you did not piss your pants mate
Rob_Lee
Banned

6th Feb 09 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i suppose there is that!

Haha dont know what i would have done in your situation
Twiggy

6th Feb 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Lee
Yeah i suppose there is that!

Haha dont know what i would have done in your situation

Reap the benifits!

Free Taxi home and a paid day off work

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bone Marrow donating 22 database queries in 0.1058261 seconds