corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Shares / Stocks Day etc... Reason why it can't be done answered by James pg2.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shares / Stocks Day etc... Reason why it can't be done answered by James pg2.
Cosmo

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
of course theres also the possibility that RBS gets nationalised and you loose all your money. that would be proper shit

exactly why its not the time to do it yet.

Let them sell off what they intend to do, cut all the jobs and get back to a solid company, then invest when you know nationalisation isnt going to happen.

Would be a good few year investment though.
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
well if your not in a rush and have a few k going spare..

10x what they are worth now in a few years easy.. considering they were around 60x what they are worth now about 18-24 months ao

That's completely not what my strategy is about... You're risking a lot there in the long term...

This is about skimming a small amount every so often... So with my strategy, I'd of sold them at 22 or whatever, and if they ended up at 600 pence, I'd be none the richer as I had sold them at 22 pence.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed cosmo, theres more grim finds for the auditors IMO.
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

which would be a benefit for my strategy...

You'd move the goal posts and repeat.

I'm not talking about long term hopes of them returning to big success...
Russ

23rd Feb 09 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
more than likely but doubt it will be bad enough to push them onto theverge of collapse..
willay
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:

which would be a benefit for my strategy...

You'd move the goal posts and repeat.

I'm not talking about long term hopes of them returning to big success...

i understand what you're going on about paul but with trading like this its about big sizes, if you want to take advantage of them pennies you need to have a massive clip to really cash in
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

For example a lot of people wouldn't even realised that a simple press release could make the share prices rally, or plummit.

That's what I love about google finance stock viewer... it plots what news has happened on the graph

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chdet=1235406988338&chddm=10911&q=LON:BARC&ntsp=0

Then you get to see how it can effect it (all in hindsight mind )
Russ

23rd Feb 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your not talking a) long term growth or b) lots of big spends in shirt term, then you need ladbrokes not the stock exchange surely
willay
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
more than likely but doubt it will be bad enough to push them onto theverge of collapse..

could be, but what I was referring to is the chance of the RBS price being back up where it was.
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i understand what you're going on about paul but with trading like this its about big sizes, if you want to take advantage of them pennies you need to have a massive clip to really cash in

Yeah definately mate... I wasn't thinking about making my millions, more like making £30-£50 profit here and there.

[Edited on 23-02-2009 by Paul_J]
willay
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if your not talking a) long term growth or b) lots of big spends in shirt term, then you need ladbrokes not the stock exchange surely

nah thats the stock exchange alright, I dont believe the FTSE is a long term investment, it always crashes like its programmed to IMO
Russ

23rd Feb 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but gambling a few hundred quid on the stock market is pretty pointless unless your only after aking pennies?
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but gambling a few hundred quid on the stock market is pretty pointless unless your only after aking pennies?

Gambling £1000 with a stop loss that'll only lose you £100, with stocks like RBS can gain you £100-£200

This is what I've just explained Russ. Normally this wouldn't be possible, but since Banking shares are so cheap at the moment, small rises and falls in their prices are actually fairly large percentage shifts... You would not be able to do this when they were 600-1000 pence a share as the percentage shifts would be minimal.
AndyKent

23rd Feb 09 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah definately mate... I wasn't thinking about making my millions, more like making £30-£50 profit here and there.

Seriously, look at Betfair - you can do exactly what you're talking about but far less risk (still slightly risky, but much less than dumping it all on a bank that might get taken over )
Russ

23rd Feb 09 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Gambling £1000 with a stop loss that'll only lose you £100, with stocks like RBS can gain you £100-£200

This is what I've just explained Russ. Normally this wouldn't be possible, but since Banking shares are so cheap at the moment, small rises and falls in their prices are actually fairly large percentage shifts... You would not be able to do this when they were 600-1000 pence a share as the percentage shifts would be minimal.
if it were that easy though chap..
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

if it were that easy though chap..

Read James' previous post...

It actually is that easy, but the average joe A ) wouldn't dare try it and B ) wouldn't be able to be strict to themselves and sell / buy when they had planned to. and C ) this won't last forever so it may already be near the end of the time you can cash in. E ) Most poeple can't sit watching stocks all day E ) People are doing this, but with more money on the line and watching it all day long - I believe J Da Silvia off here is doing this or said about doing it.

It can only be done now due to prices being so low and fluctuating so much...

Set yourself a limit of 10% profit and you'd get good results... the smaller the percentage gain you want, the more often the payout and less risk you have.

So setting a sell point of 22, a buy point of 20 and a stop loss SELL at 17, would mean that you get a 10% profit, every time the share price fluctuates 2 pence... which is happening up and down a lot.*

* however, after fees you may not make a lot, as you have to pay per trade.

It's about skimming a small amount each time this happens, rather than going for a huge money maker.
James

23rd Feb 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you actually found a company that lets you trade in this way?

Most are just to buy/sell shocks which takes a few days to settle etc. Not aware of any that let you trade equities in real-time?
Russ

23rd Feb 09 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your forgot D) and have two E)'s but good luck
willay
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

capital spreads may do it in real time, I use to look after some of their kit.
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Have you actually found a company that lets you trade in this way?

Most are just to buy/sell shocks which takes a few days to settle etc. Not aware of any that let you trade equities in real-time?

No I hadn't James. That could be the flaw in this then

I had looked at the site you posted a while ago iii.co.uk - but hadn't actually bought any yet! I had assumed it was fairly instant purchases / selling...

If you're right and it's days to settle - than that explains why you can't just do this and answers my questions.

haha, yeh I wrote two E's as I added one to the end and then moved it around and forgot to change the letter.

James

23rd Feb 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you can do spread betting quite easily.

Take a look at http://www.cityindex.co.uk
James

23rd Feb 09 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FYI finding a company that offer real-time trading will be impossible because it will always by delivered via the web and therefore never genuinely real-time.

I know City Index have some sort of web-based trading platform as I almost got a job working on it but you will never get 100% real-time.
Paul_J

23rd Feb 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
FYI finding a company that offer real-time trading will be impossible because it will always by delivered via the web and therefore never genuinely real-time.

I know City Index have some sort of web-based trading platform as I almost got a job working on it but you will never get 100% real-time.

I wouldn't mind minutes (20-30 mins max) of delay... but days like you suggested would be a complete spanner in the works.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just find someone to execute your trades
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Feb 09 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what algo systems do all day long on the FX markets.

As James said bear in mind the fees. A lot of brokers batch their customers' trades, but that introduces time delays for you. You can generally pay a premium for quick execution...

Also you'll need a decent market data feed -- most the free online ones are delayed 15-30 mins.

[Edited on 23-02-2009 by Tim]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Shares / Stocks Day etc... Reason why it can't be done answered by James pg2. 22 database queries in 0.0213120 seconds