corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Starting your own business...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Starting your own business...
M2RTY

User status: Offline
19th May 09 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Ah sorry, thought you were speaking in general rather than about Tiger directly.

Agreed about being a sole trader/partnership and taking your costs out of that. We have part of ours set up as a partnership so us as partners can take out costs such as petrol, etc. as well as taking our drawings from it. Then charge a management fee over to the limited company for our services.

Yep...I am working with a photographer going self employed as a sole trader and a few guys forming limited companies to go working as consultants....each have there +/-
M2RTY

19th May 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 2 i mentioned are essential....others (advertising, accountant etc) are not essential by law as a sole trader and anyone with half a brain can do them

jrsteeve

19th May 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a sole trader at present as my business is in its early stages still, but will look to becoming LTD at some point in the future. I've not had to do a self assessment yet, but the forms came in the post yesterday. Any tips? I work from home, use own car etc and have been up officially since Sept 08 but unofficially since May 08.
jrsteeve

19th May 09 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and its a residential lettings agency BTW. I'm a member of RICS so am protected under their insurances at present.
Tiger

19th May 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens if you close the company? Do you just send a letter somewhere saying that you are ceasing trading?
M2RTY

19th May 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
What happens if you close the company? Do you just send a letter somewhere saying that you are ceasing trading?

for a sole trader (easiest for you), you would stop the Class 2 NI, complete a return at the end of the tax year (or within 6 months) and job done

You never have to register a company as such when you are self employed. This is becuase YOU are the business. You dont even need to have a unique name.

For a public company there is more paperwork, more fees per year to register the company, audits, legal work, must have a unique name etc etc

theres allowances on how much you can earn before you pay tax/class 4 NI etc too. Try http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/home?domain=www.businesslink.gov.uk&target=http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/&tc=000KW021413519 for EVERYTHING you need to know

[Edited on 19-05-2009 by M2RTY]
M2RTY

19th May 09 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
I'm a sole trader at present as my business is in its early stages still, but will look to becoming LTD at some point in the future. I've not had to do a self assessment yet, but the forms came in the post yesterday. Any tips? I work from home, use own car etc and have been up officially since Sept 08 but unofficially since May 08.

If you work from home and have a dedicated office, make sure it can still be used as a bedroom to prevent you from having to pay Business Rates on the property. You can also put a % of gas/electric/water through the business to reduce profits (money you have already spent on the home)

Just put things through like petrol, travel, insurance, fees, telphone, marketing etc too
M2RTY

19th May 09 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rough idea of how much you need to put aside for tax...

Estimated net weekly profit (£ per week) Approximate amount to set aside for tax and class4 NI (£ per week)

75 ___________________________0
100 ___________________________0
125 ___________________________4
150 ___________________________10
175 ___________________________17
200 ___________________________25
225 ___________________________32
250 ___________________________40
275 ___________________________47
300 ___________________________55
350 ___________________________70
635 ___________________________155

plus £2.40 per week class 2 NI on top

[Edited on 19-05-2009 by M2RTY]
jrsteeve

19th May 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve

If you work from home and have a dedicated office, make sure it can still be used as a bedroom to prevent you from having to pay Business Rates on the property. You can also put a % of gas/electric/water through the business to reduce profits (money you have already spent on the home)

Just put things through like petrol, travel, insurance, fees, telphone, marketing etc too

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Starting your own business... 22 database queries in 0.0923500 seconds