corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » S3 Idea's...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author S3 Idea's...
Ian W

User status: Offline
27th May 09 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had mine for over 18 months, got no plans to change it. I do a good few miles a week and its a nice car to be in.

Get a decent suspension set with a remap and your sorted, I had Bilstein B8's, H&R springs and KW Tie Bars. Regarded as pretty much the ultimate setup for an S3. Sadly had to sell it all to fund a repair though

Good cars, I considered a GSi but glad I went for the S3.
ash_corsa

27th May 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adjustable tie bars are a must have, my S3's both ate rear tyres without them.

Id agree with the previous comments, S3s arnt fantastic cars out of the box but with a few choice mods you can really have some fun in one.

I'd have another any day but id maybe consider buying an already 'prepped' one as the mods arnt cheap.
Think my KW tie bars were £279 + the 4 wheel alignment
Then you've got the suspension, brakes, remap, exhaust, filter, intercooler etc.. etc..
Adam_B

27th May 09 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I liked the one i had a go of, much better car than an Astra GSi, Id really consider one if i needed a sensible car. Colour was a bit iffy though
jr

27th May 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by jr
exactley that, its not a personal thing against joe but they dont deserve the repuatation they get IMO, no better than a nice atra gsi in driving terms apart from the badge

I don't take it personally, I didn't design or make the car so it doesn't bother me but do they really have a reputation? The only reputation they have is as a pretty un-inspiring car, I've never heard anyone rave about them or the handling, most of Audi-sport slate them although I haven't been on there for ages.

I've been really happy with mine, but I'm not arsed about doing track days, going to the nurburgring and all that jazz, I just like a car that gets me from A to B with no fuss but if you do buy one that has had the suspension sorted etc I reckon you will be buying what could be a very well sorted car.

down here mate they seem to have a reputation of "oh my god its an audi s car, it must be wank worthy"

i drove one years ago with loads of people telling me how good they were, and found it a bit crap, put it down to it beeing a poor one

since drove 5 or 6 others, and all been the same, IMO they have nothing over a mk4 golf apart from tiny bit quicker

also people seem to love the fact is "quattro", were as we know its a system that makes it understeer like a wanker, and in relaity IMO doesnt handel better than a fw golf/a3, and is exactley the same as a slow motion golf

not a bad car, but the repuation doesnt help them

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by jr]
Joe

27th May 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
I liked the one i had a go of, much better car than an Astra GSi, Id really consider one if i needed a sensible car. Colour was a bit iffy though

To be fair this is when I realised that it can be a very quick car. On a road that someone knows well, with someone who is a handy driver it really did shift! I was very surprised, but also very scared!

You have to be a real man to pull off the colour though!
Adam_B

27th May 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and to think when we swapped seats you were concerned about me kerbing a wheel
Jay

27th May 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr

and is exactley the same as a slow motion golf

My brother had a 4 Motion and I loved it, I dont see what people expect it to be like when they say Slow Motion? It wasnt lightening fast but it was a big heavy Golf at the end of the day, It was fast on the road and handled well on the road, which I would say is where 90%+ of them are used. If it wasnt for the MPG, or lack of, I would buy one in a flash.
jr

27th May 09 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

again, working in a vw dealer maybe gave me a diffrent impression, but dealing with customers who "talk" these cars upm they really arent very special

at the time the slow-mo was the golf range topper, and IMO and many others, not a very good one

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by jr]
Butler

27th May 09 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James what the hell is a 172 ragnotti?
Ian W

28th May 09 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
Adjustable tie bars are a must have, my S3's both ate rear tyres without them.

Id agree with the previous comments, S3s arnt fantastic cars out of the box but with a few choice mods you can really have some fun in one.

I'd have another any day but id maybe consider buying an already 'prepped' one as the mods arnt cheap.
Think my KW tie bars were £279 + the 4 wheel alignment
Then you've got the suspension, brakes, remap, exhaust, filter, intercooler etc.. etc..

Ye, modding isn't cheap. Think it was about £1000 when I lowered mine and that was just for the parts
jr

28th May 09 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler

its what i own
mwg

28th May 09 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'd have one over a GSi too. Probably similar to drive but everything else I'd take the S3.
whitter45

28th May 09 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

S3 is over hyped due tot he 4 wheel drive crap - the haldex system is crap and sometimes dangerous

Nice cars but so overated and sont look much different to a standard A3 which for some isnt a bad thing
Ian W

28th May 09 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
S3 is over hyped due tot he 4 wheel drive crap - the haldex system is crap and sometimes dangerous

Nice cars but so overated and sont look much different to a standard A3 which for some isnt a bad thing

Hows it dangerous
Butler

28th May 09 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by Butler

its what i own

Isnt that what they called the cup in france? As in the country where we arent.
Ojc

28th May 09 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new one is quoted with a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds, now I think that is VERY optimistic, everyone I've come across on the road has been slower than the VXR.

But then hes in an Audi so that makes him a god amongst men so I doubt he cares if he gets beaten by a shoddy Vauxhall that torque steers into a hedge at every opportunity

[Edited on 28-05-2009 by Ojc]
RichR
Premium Member

28th May 09 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was really suprised at how little difference there was on our trip back from North Wales on Monday. I was in my A3 1.8T Sport; my mate was in his S3 (225). A few traffic light/dual carriageway grandprix's showed that although the S3 was quicker, it was only marginal. Especiallys from approximatly 50mph rolling to 80ish; there was barely a difference. We weren't exactly racing just comparing the difference. Also handling (which granted is difficult to judge with 2 different drivers) but I'd say mine handled as well as the S3.

Further to that teh S3 has a much smaller boot because of the Haldex system.One of the only things I like about my car is the significant size of the boot and how much crap will fit in there. The S3 was 1/2 the size.
RichR
Premium Member

28th May 09 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They hold their prices well though. Very few below the £7500 mark which are in good/reasonable condition and thats for an 7/8/9year old car
StueyBoy1989

28th May 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the difference from a vauxhall to an audi build quality. and the options you can get, i know any day of the week i'd have an s3 over a vxr.
Joe

28th May 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
The new one is quoted with a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds, now I think that is VERY optimistic, everyone I've come across on the road has been slower than the VXR.

Is this from rolling or standing though? As 'shit' as haldex is it gives you a shit load of grip from standing.
richc

28th May 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
S3 the same as a GSI?? As in Astra GSI??

Are you taking the piss jr??

He's meaning both fairly boring and dull to drive. Not a real feel for the cars as a driving experience.
mwg

28th May 09 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Is this from rolling or standing though? As 'shit' as haldex is it gives you a shit load of grip from standing.

You only have to read the test they did in Evo to see the advantage Haldex gave
Joe

28th May 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't read it but I'd defo bet on a 8P S3 over the VXR from standing.
Brett
Premium Member

28th May 09 at 11:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you listened to everyones opinions on this site then you literally couldn't own any car.
Ian W

28th May 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
If you listened to everyones opinions on this site then you literally couldn't own any car.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » S3 Idea's... 22 database queries in 0.0145380 seconds