corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone done motorsport engineering at uni?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone done motorsport engineering at uni?
RCS

User status: Offline
18th Jun 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon it is the best course with the best oppurtunities within, but we dont get the quality of students.

You only get around 10 students (if that) in a given year that excell. These are the ones that get the jobs (Red Bull F1, Williams F1, Brawn GP, Ricardo, Cummins etc)
Daimo B

18th Jun 09 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surfing Degrees got to be the lamest....
antnee

18th Jun 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't there a david beckham degree these days?
l15ter

18th Jun 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
... oh hang on I like cars / motorsport on tv... I'll do a motorsport degree it'll be a laugh.
quote:

this is very true, there was about 12 of us at the start of the course, theres only 4 people left after the first year, an those 4 people are the ones who cannot even do a service on a car, its just the fact that they like motorsport. the ones that are interested in motorsport and cars, like myself, left.
antnee

28th Aug 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to bring this up again, looking at Uni's again now I have my results.

For anyone that's done Motorsport Engineering, can you tell me what uni you went to and how you found the course.
sand-eel

28th Aug 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
whats his name with the bm reversing into the wall

sure he did similar or the same

indeed I did.
I did a degree in Product Design with Motorsports Beng.
I applied for it before I left high school and got accepted the same day as my results came in the post.
It was a 3 year course, it consisted of data aquisition and interpretation using a program called PI, used CAD programs, I used Pro/engineer (design program), Pro-mechanica (analysis of the part), Ansys (another design program) and Win-geo (suspension geometry design program).
I made shit in lathes and CNC mills.
We went to a sprint circuit a few times to get driver training (lecturer does rallies) and to set up a mallock racing car..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqELfcwjtL8&NR=1
Did it through UCAS.
The work in 3rd year was unbelievable, a shit load TBH, loads of people didn't made it to the end.
The best day was when an old Lotus F1 designer came in and taught me a hell of a lot of things and saying what was even crap on the mallock and a formula ford car that you wouldn't even notice
We did quite a bit of hands on stuff too, like taking apart the formula ford car, setting that up. Also we had a nice 205 GTI rally car to work on.
My final year "industrial based design project" was designing an independant rear suspension system for a 205 GTI, was a relief that was finished took bloody months .
It is hard to get into motorsports, a guy at M-sport even said they don't take on graduates but only one guy because he knew people "inside". I'm mainly trying to get into some sort of design job but still keeping an eye on motorsport jobs and motorsport design related jobs, for instance Lola.

[Edited on 28-08-2009 by sand-eel]
Ojc

28th Aug 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brad Fincham did this I believe.
Matt L

28th Aug 09 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I knew someone that did it once, he was apparently quite good at it yet his car was making a whirring noise and i asked him what it was and he claimed his 1l corsa had an intercooler on it (under the engine) which made a whirring noise.

know its nothing to do with the course really but just thought id share that
sand-eel

28th Aug 09 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

luckely there wasn't many spazzes in my year.
Pip308

28th Aug 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oxford Brookes does a good course and their facilities are awesome. was planning to go but thought i'll get a job instead of racking up huge student debt and have no job at the end of it.
ed

28th Aug 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Isn't there a david beckham degree these days?
There is. You can do a degree in anything what so ever. You need to find an academic who will provide the material and you're sorted. I think the DB degree was done for a joke/to prove a point.
Ben-B

28th Aug 09 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im hoping to do a motorsport degree in the next few years, already have a level 1 IMI in motorvehicle maintanence and am going into a level 2 IMI in motorsport and motorvehicle maintanence

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone done motorsport engineering at uni? 22 database queries in 0.0150840 seconds