corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining The Army...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Joining The Army...
MarkM

User status: Offline
30th Jun 09 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cousin is in the Paras the mad bastard.

I think I would like life in the Army and RAF but could'nt be arsed with all the shite you have to go through at the beginning.

Daimo B

30th Jun 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo

I think this is a given by joining the army.

If your worrying about money, danger or working hard then i wouldnt even bother applying to be honest, its all part and parcel of the job.

As saod, both parents were in the army, and neither were sent to a war zone.

In CURRENT times, yes, but not always.
Cosmo

30th Jun 09 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate joined the Navy back in Feb/March, passed out about 5 or 6 weeks ago now and is down in Portsmouth doing his final training before being sent to the Gulf in September.
andy1868

30th Jun 09 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i joined the army about 5 years ago when i left school, then pulled out because i didn't think it was right for me. i'd spent years in the cadets and loved every minute, but when it came down to it, i didn't want to go in. i joined as an avaition technician in the REME (working on helicopters) and as a 16 year old i think it was much easier than it is if you're 18+, the standards seemed to be set lower, i don't know if they still are now.

sometimes i wonder what life would be like now if i had gone in, afew of the lads i was in the cadets with joined up and have done tours in the middle east despite being even younger than me. i'd still like to join up at some point, i just don't know if i could go through with it

theres also a lad that used to live over the road from me that passed out recently and is now in the Paras iirc, i think hes barely 18 and yet hes going to serve in northern ireland, crazy.
Conway563

30th Jun 09 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
Army is for people who dont get on in society well and have too much of a criminal record to get in the raf/navy.

What a load of shite, yes you get fuckwits like that who think they're nails but what I've seen they're the ones that don't make it through basic training

The only thing I would say to is if you join be prepared to see proper service, we're going to be in Afghanistan for a long time yet
Have a look on here if you want to find out what to expecthttp://www.arrse.co.uk/
Ojc

30th Jun 09 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Then after a tour of Iraq and 4 years service go work for one of the security firms in Iraq. Earn 100k a year, pay next to no tax, get kidnapped and your head cut off.

edited for accuracy.

Yes it's risky work, my mate done it for 2 years, bought his house and saved a massive wedge.

He left after his convoy hit an IED and destroyed the lead truck which had all their passports and personal stuff in and they had to run out and get all the stuff from the rear of the truck on a motorway just outside Baghdad.

Horrendous.
Nath

30th Jun 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
Army is for people who dont get on in society well and have too much of a criminal record to get in the raf/navy.

What a load of shite, yes you get fuckwits like that who think they're nails but what I've seen they're the ones that don't make it through basic training

The only thing I would say to is if you join be prepared to see proper service, we're going to be in Afghanistan for a long time yet
Have a look on here if you want to find out what to expecthttp://www.arrse.co.uk/

Don't bite to Dizzy. He's boring.
James

30th Jun 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Neo

I think this is a given by joining the army.

If your worrying about money, danger or working hard then i wouldnt even bother applying to be honest, its all part and parcel of the job.

As saod, both parents were in the army, and neither were sent to a war zone.

In CURRENT times, yes, but not always.

Surely if you are considering joining the army, then CURRENT times is all you would care about?
Nath

30th Jun 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR has spoken James. Pipe down.
kiddy_sean

30th Jun 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J4M13
tis true no matter which afco you visit. I was pre warned by all my close mates already in the army before i went down but didnt think it would be like they were making it out to be. But sure as eggs are eggs the Sergeant i spoke to tried his best to persuade me to join the Duke of Lancaster's Reg, his own Reg
he eventually gave up when he realised how adament on going for my own choice i was and now hes cool about it lol.

Just out of interest, have you served in the armed forces Sean?

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by J4M13]

yeah i got out last year i was in for nearly 6 years..most of that was the best time of my life..if i was to go back i would do it all again i went to iraq and afghan its just part and parcel of the army..good money aswell with the bonus anyway.... now im at college doing mechanics..... and loving it

and the para thing..ive worked with them a few times i and most of the army just think there a bunch of twats,because they think there better than the rest of the army just bcause they have done p coy..but yet the still have to do breacon like any other infantry man to get promoted
Ste
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in the RAF for 7 years as an Avonics technician. You get far far less shit than the Army, and after basic training there is none of that marching around bollocks and firtness tests every week!

I left 3 years ago and walking into a job at BAe Systems building Eurofighters on £40K. I knew lads in the Army and they get a beasting every day. RAF is soo laid back compared. If you are an officer then the RAF will treat you like a God. They look after their own. If you have an engineering degree, go in as an engineering officer, you will oversee the airworthiness of a Squadron and be on mega bucks. You get to go away alot and travel the world. In my 7 years I went to Cyprus, Oman, Iraq, Las vegas, Canada, France, Sierra Leone, Australia, Scotland , Azores, Acension Island and many more I forget and passed through and spent a night or two.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
James

30th Jun 09 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Scotland

Where do I sign up?
Ste
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ was worse than Basra tbh, you will know if you have been to Elgin

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
CorsaSport14

1st Jul 09 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys for your input. I think this weekend ill get round to filling out application and hope to get more info on being a weapon systems operator crewman for the RAF

[Edited on 01-07-2009 by CorsaSport14]
Ste
Premium Member

1st Jul 09 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aircrew is an OK job. Good money too. WSO may not be the most fun job so have a shop around with what else they are offering.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining The Army... 23 database queries in 0.5192430 seconds