corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Mac Users

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mac Users
Cosmo

User status: Offline
4th Sep 09 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, Ive been wanting to get a newer Mac for ages (got the 21" iMac but wouldnt mind something with a much bigger screen) but have held off simply because everyone says the Power PC ones are so much better.

I'll end up going for a Mac pro with a 30" Apple screen one day though as its too tempting not to
Nismo

4th Sep 09 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres specific software i work with which only runs on Windows so i need both enviroments really.

How do you go about getting a Mac book to dual boot?
Dom

4th Sep 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mac Pro though Would seriously like a 8 core, 16GB ram but they can fuck off if i'm paying £3k for it! Can build a similar spec'd PC with 32GB for about a third of the cost.

30" Apple Displays are good, but stupidly huge especially when working at a desk, you're constantly moving your head side to side Had them for a while in the studio, but moved to the Dual 24" & 27" Dells, i think the picture is slightly sharper with better colours, plus you have loads of inputs (HDMI, Display Port, Composite, Component, S-Video etc) useful for plugging in your HD/BR player or PS3/Xbox (they do 1:1 Pixel mapping which is worth having) when you can't be arsed with work

Nismo - just download bootcamp (DVD/CD with drivers etc) and then install Windows. Doesn't take long, just means you have to reboot the mac to switch between OS's.
You can virtual-machine windows, so you have a window open with windows running, but you get a serious performance hit (i do using VMWare Fusion) - useful for running Office Apps or web browser etc but that's about it.

[Edited on 04-09-2009 by Dom]
Cosmo

4th Sep 09 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom just build the PC you want and, ehem, load a real copy of OSX on it
Dom

4th Sep 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Dom just build the PC you want and, ehem, load a real copy of OSX on it

After you commented about the looks and the case of macs, i've been starring at the case of the mac pro at work all week, it just isn't the same
Cosmo

4th Sep 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then buy a Mac Pro case off ebay (not cheap, Ive looked!) and build a PC in it.

Do a search on the likes of bit-tech and you'll find some amazing PC Pro builds!
AlunJ

5th Sep 09 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol I thought about doing that cosmo... then saw the price for the case! Be a bit of a ballache to do as well I expect.
Cosmo

5th Sep 09 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you rip all the stupid internals out that Apple put in, its not a massive job really (although isnt a simple build as in a normal PC case).

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll