corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New Top Gear

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Top Gear
LukeS

User status: Offline
20th Oct 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or even their magazine.
chloe16v

20th Oct 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 pages
Tomnova16
Premium Member

20th Oct 09 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
yeah can stop watching dave for an hour
So it was you in the bushes the other night then

ive given it away who to spy on now

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeS
Aslong as they make money from how it is, it will carry on this way.

I agree...but that doesnt make it right. The BBC is not a commercial station.....It shouldnt just be interested in making money..we have already given them that money in the license fee. I give them money to make programmes. They are under obligation to make programmes that the British public want to watch.....Top Gear fulfilled their responsibility to license payers who were motoring enthusiasts. Now it doesnt do this imo...it is just another entertainment show. Im happy for them to carry on like it is....but I would like them to start a proper motoring show under their remit to make public service broadcasting.

The BBC is the only Tv station that is actually supposed to make programmes that not everyone will like...its suppose to make shows that cater to a certain percentage of their fee payers. Programmes that are specifically aimed at people who would enjoy the show...not so their girlfriend might want to watch it as well. It doesnt have to make programmes that everyone will like......ITV does have to do that becasue the companies who pay for their adverts demand that programmes are as bland, and unoffensive as possible and that they appeal to as wide an audiance as possible.
I expect ITV to appeal to the lowest IQ in the audiance to get as many people as possible watching and therefore make money....the BBC shouldnt be doing this

[Edited on 20-10-2009 by Dr Pepper]

Sunz

20th Oct 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Dr Pepper

Too commercial, predictable and the staged races where the results are like 10 seconds apart
An entertainment show that has some cars rather then a car show with entertainment

But you all seem pretty desperate to say it wonderful
LukeS

20th Oct 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:

The BBC is the only Tv station that is actually supposed to make programmes that not everyone will like...its suppose to make shows that cater to a certain percentage of their fee payers. Programmes that are specifically aimed at people who would enjoy the show...not so their girlfriend might want to watch it as well. It doesnt have to make programmes that everyone will like......ITV does have to do that becasue the companies who pay for their adverts demand that programmes are as bland, and unoffensive as possible and that they appeal to as wide an audiance as possible.
I expect ITV to appeal to the lowest IQ in the audiance to get as many people as possible watching and therefore make money....the BBC shouldnt be doing this

But by making top gear aren't they making a programme not everyone will like, as you said yourself that you won't be watching.
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:

But by making top gear aren't they making a programme not everyone will like, as you said yourself that you won't be watching.

LOL - Yes ....but its supposed to be aimed at me...I love cars, and motor racing...so they shouldnt be making me turn off. Its not just me...most people I know who are into cars now dont rate the programme as high as they used to. Its just a 1 hour vehicle for clarkson and co to do some comedy sketches and meet a celebrity who is trying to sell something...if thats what you like then thats fine...but it doesnt make it a quality motoring magazine show....which is what its supposed to be
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres just an example of a feature they should have done...but havnt. They should have done a review comparing the Clio 197 cup, Corsa Gsi, Cupra, Golf gti, Cooper S ..... Road tests, track test, quarter mile, stopping distance, price to own ect.....It wouldnt have been boring, could still have had the witty banter and it would have been relevant to people like us. These are the cars most of us are likely to buy at some stage.

They just seem to have completely given up on doing any reviews, comparisons unless they can make it into a gay ass challange.
bubble

20th Oct 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in some respects i agree with mr pepper.

BUT

top gear does have its moments where the real feel of how a car makes you feel comes out. sometimes they do a review where you actually feel like you have been in the car as well, for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdXIMbEB4q0

this was utter brilliance in my opinion. it made the hairs on my arms stand on end and it gave me a lump in my throat. ok, the cars they feature may not be affordable to all, however by watching the series it can give people the inspiration or motivation to do summat to get off their arses and get the car they want.

top gear used to be a magazine show telling people what car does what and how safe it is. since the internet explosion, people can find this out for themselves without having too watch an hour long programme.

the way top gear is now done, is obviously working, its the bbc's biggest globally watched programme, it is now in over 120 countries, (with the 3 uk guys but subtitled)

top gear rules tbh
Muzzy@VauxhallScotland

20th Oct 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the challenges most of the time but i hate the celebrity bit. It's nice seeing cars like Ferrari's etc being driven hard but ont he other hand i would like to see cars i could actually afford to buy being tested too.
LukeS

20th Oct 09 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like i say on the website and magazine they do normal car road tests. In the magazine they have prices, safety features etc. Normal car review also here
Adam_B

20th Oct 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More like this will make me happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EIdAb16Pdg&feature=related
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not saying its all bad....I loved it when they first started this new format and it had its moments in the last series....I just think its gone downhill and needs seriously looking at.

For example...The Atom test was superb I thought. It was funny, entertaining but the car was still the star of the show.....thats how it should be done. They got the experiance of driving the car accross to the viewer in an entertaining way.

They dont need to go so over the top with everything for people to still enjoy it.

Just dont think the last three series have been up to scratch. I just can not stand the fake, scripted bits with all three of them on screen.....so painfull to watch them acting I have to turn over.

Scotty_B

20th Oct 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Muzzy@VauxhallScotland
I like the challenges most of the time but i hate the celebrity bit. It's nice seeing cars like Ferrari's etc being driven hard but ont he other hand i would like to see cars i could actually afford to buy being tested too.

Watch 5th Gear.
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
More like this will make me happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EIdAb16Pdg&feature=related

Agreed...thats exactly what im looking for from Top Gear. High quality car review. More of this- less of the Benny Hill shiit for me please.

Quite interesting at the end of that clip, Clarkson says - "This is what this show is all about, the absolute joy of driving a great car, on a great road".....I agree Jeremy....what the fukc happened last series then?

Ben G

20th Oct 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love top gear, even if most of it is just entertainment now rather than about the cars.
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i love top gear, even if most of it is just entertainment now rather than about the cars.

Fair enough...cant argue with that. Do you not think it could be much better though..without changing the format too much?
LukeS

20th Oct 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
quote:
Originally posted by Muzzy@VauxhallScotland

Watch 5th Gear.

Isn't it being cancelled?
Dr Pepper

20th Oct 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep....its rubbish though so never mind
LukeS

20th Oct 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't they cut down on the challenges now on top gear,because of that BBC price a while back?
alan-g-w

20th Oct 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dr Pepper, you've hit the nail on the head with almost everything you've said, although I do like the cool wall.

Everything about it now makes me doubt whether they've actually done what they're claiming - for example, when they claimed that James May 'tuned' the engine from that Renault spaceship looking thing. Obviously it was never him that did it, but you thought they might actually have done something legit and actually worked on it, when in actual fact they apparently just fitted the engine from a clio V6 - why the need to lie? There are so many instances like this that it's actually now too hard to tell when they're bullshitting or when they're doing something properly. Another example would be the Hilux - who's to say that wasn't all staged? Because that was about the time it started to go downhill. Don't get me wrong, I still watch it sometimes but it used to be a religious thing where I'd make sure I saw it every week. Now just for the sheer fact that they piss about a bit too much it's gone from a phenomenal programme to something middle of the road, almost annoying - I actually preferred the layout (not the actual show) of the last couple of series of fifth gear to Top Gear.

I know I might be looking into it too much and over reading everything they do. But it's them that's caused it, or Clarkson in particular, he became a producer in the last couple of series didn't he? I'm just glad I'm not the only person thinking it.
Ash_EP3

20th Oct 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want average car reviews there's Fifth gear

For everything else there's Top Gear
FruitBooTeR

20th Oct 09 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I watch it for Clarkson hes just too funny!

I agree with what some people are saying though it has 'changed' but I still like it and always will...it entertains me and thats the main thing! If I wanted to find out car facts / reviews id buy a magazine like Evo, or even the Top Gear mag itself.
deano87

20th Oct 09 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the words of Clarkson when he saw the baby elephants on the Africa special. . .sweeeeeettt.
Ian_GTI

21st Oct 09 at 04:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chloe16v

if you dont like top gear.............

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New Top Gear 23 database queries in 0.1806509 seconds