corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Reclaiming Bank Charges Supreme Court Result

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reclaiming Bank Charges Supreme Court Result
Tom

User status: Offline
25th Nov 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo you sound like some middle class snob tbh. Some people struggle in life alot more than others and charges like these can have a big impact on them. There's alot of scenarios where it's easy for you to go overdrawn or be unable to make a payment by a few quid. This happened to my missus because he o2 bill came out the day before she'd been paid and she had £26 in her bank and they tried to take out £30. She got charged £35 for the pleasure which I think is an absolute joke, yes she sshould have made sure she had the money there but £35 for something didn't even pay (e.g. a returned payment) is just robbery, tell me that's ok? We are lucky that we could pay it without really noticing (even though I went into the bank and kicked off ) but for a single mother or the likes that might mean half of the money she has for shopping a week is gone for example and it's not 'fair' in any way.

Wind your neck in and realise that not everything is black and white.
strick206

25th Nov 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly as you said on the fourth paragraph

The charges are badly structured, which is what people have the most trouble with justifying, and tbh, they are right

I'm not saying they shouldn't charge at all, but they should be fair imo and much less when the actual cost to the bank is very little

Also, many people that get these charges are self employed people who rely on the payments from their customers to finance their business and therefore the banks, but if a customer doesn't pay on time, the business can incur 100's in costs which again is unfair, they should be much less
strick206

25th Nov 09 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And i agree with tom tbh, you do seem like some stuck up cunt

Figure dropping your first mortgage amount etc when it was completely irrelevant, and before you play the jealousy card, i am not short of money at all but i don't go dropping it on here at again given opportunity
mwg

25th Nov 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Summary of thread so far?
John

25th Nov 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Things like companies taking money out to early is a different matter, there should be no charges for that/should be able to claim back from the company.
Nath

25th Nov 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was always going to happen wasn't it? With the state the banks are in. They need this money.
Nath

25th Nov 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
And i agree with tom tbh, you do seem like some stuck up cunt

Figure dropping your first mortgage amount etc when it was completely irrelevant, and before you play the jealousy card, i am not short of money at all but i don't go dropping it on here at again given opportunity

Naaaa, not Daimo.
Daimo B

25th Nov 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not a snob at all I come from a council estate FFS

Everything isn't black n white nope. But justified arguements can still be argued and with valid reason the bank will sort something out.

Strick, figure dropping, wtf, its a statement on how much we were offered. I could not afford anything like that so the example is just showing how totally extreme amounts of money can be offered when realistically you cannot afford to pay anything like that. Where on earth am i going on at every given opportunity. Get your facts right before you whinge like a little b1tch

The decision has been made to stop people who do take the piss, encoure appropriate charges.

Snob indeed Why do you think I gave up weed?? I was fedup of having only £200 a month to spend on fuel, and going out, period!!!!!!!

Snob What goons
A2H GO

25th Nov 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR, i think you've got the wrong end of the stick, firstly your assuming that everyone is as financially aware as you. However this is not the case, you can open a current account at 16, this does not mean that all 16 year olds know exacty how to operate/keep a track of their account.

Also, the charge does not have to be because you have gone over your overdraft, it could be that you havent got an overdraft and due to a genuine mistake/oversight funds are debited resulting in said person going into minus. They are then charged £35, even if the bank has only had to 'lend' you £1, but has it really cost them £34 because of your mistake. Understandably banks are a business and have to make money but they could have doubled their profit by charging £2 and so people found the charges excessive.

RichR
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably the only time I've done this but I agree with Daimo.

I've never gone over drawn, I'm fortunate to be in a good job now so don't have as much chance anyway but have been down to £50 or less in my bank when I was a student and pre-student time (and unemployed for 3 months when I took a break before starting this job).

If I couldn't afford it, I didn't buy it - If I needed more money, I worked harder/longer hours.

As for figure dropping, My missus and I were offered £260k on a combined income (at the time) of £40k. We didn't take it, we'd already agreed we would only take a mortgage which could be covered by 1 person's wage should the other be made redundant. I could have taken more if I wanted to but I didin't want financial worries weighing down on me. The point Daimo raised is valid with regards to this, those who are too greedy to recognise when they're making life difficult for themselves have no one else to blame but themselves.

Going over an agreed OD should quite rightly incur charges and tbh the bank is a business, so long as its in the T&C's they can charge what they like
Daimo B

25th Nov 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And i've agreed that the charging structure IS excessive.

But I totally agree with forcing charges.

My parents made me aware of finances at a young age. I don't pull it off as well as they do by far, but i learnt the basics and its importance.

No money, no toys. I want toys, so manage my money as I don't have anything like enough to splash out on everything I want.

I give up a lot of things to own the FEW nice things I do have. Like no car!!
Daimo B

25th Nov 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live Lee, your such a snob........

I mean, managing money, and working more to cover it if you don't have any....

We're snobs

I wasn't putting in numbers to sound snobbish, i was putting it in to put my point accross about HOW much money they were offering to us even though it was well out of our affordable range.

Sure, I could have had £250k. I wouldn't have had any food to eat, or bed to sleep in, or TV to watch.... But this makes me a snob.

Tom

25th Nov 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo, is goon the snobby word for idiot

I think you'll find the decision was made in order to try and help the banks out a little rather than to discourage people from 'taking the piss'. If anything the banks are the ones taking the piss with there massively out of proportion charges.

Most banks in my experience aren't willing to discuss valid reasons for not having money available in your account, and with this ruling I think you'll find they will be even less inclined to. Another case of the rich man (who's only rich because we bailed him out) winning and the poor man losing out. It shows what a bunch of morons we have in power and in control of court rooms.
Daimo B

25th Nov 09 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom

No, goon is a semi respectable word I use to insult those that have massivly offended me by branding me with such a cuntish word.... Because i've worked with many snobs and simply despise every single thing about them, so to brand me as one is a huge offence to me!!!!

Its not about rich or poor, its about simple maintenance of your finances. No money, no spending.

I'd also like to know how I go on at every given opportunity strick, as i keep my finances very personnal, so where you getting that Bullshit from?

[Edited on 25-11-2009 by VXR]
A2H GO

25th Nov 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Exactly, therefore the courts should have decided how excessive the charges have been and allowed the people affected to reclaim that amount. ie. Banks charged £35, we feel that £10 would have been more appropriate, therefore you can reclaim the £25.

Obviously this would be a slightly more complicated soloution but the best of both worlds.
Tom

25th Nov 09 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and for the record I wasn't calling you a snob for telling me how much mortgage you were offered, it was the fact that until I posted my comments you seemed fairly black and white with your standing on the matter and tbh you sound out of touch with the numerous people struggling to get by (hence a little snobby).
I don't have any issues trying to manage your money properly, of course people should try and in the main shouldn't be giving the baks the opportunity to charge them, but there's alot of people out there who struggle to get by and those are the ones who will be impacted the worst because of this, period.
Tom

25th Nov 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Exactly, therefore the courts should have decided how excessive the charges have been and allowed the people affected to reclaim that amount. ie. Banks charged £35, we feel that £10 would have been more appropriate, therefore you can reclaim the £25.

Obviously this would be a slightly more complicated soloution but the best of both worlds.

Amen.

Instead they have said that they won't rule on the fairness. Therefore people have little come back on the aforemetioned excessive charges which is the issue.
Tom

25th Nov 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

No, goon is a semi respectable word I use to insult those that have massivly offended me by branding me with such a cuntish word.... Because i've worked with many snobs and simply despise every single thing about them, so to brand me as one is a huge offence to me!!!!

Its not about rich or poor, its about simple maintenance of your finances. No money, no spending.

[Edited on 25-11-2009 by VXR]

My interpretation of snobby is not necessarily about money, it's more about being ignorant towards people who are worse off than you.
Ojc

25th Nov 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was always going to happen though, Government probably had a massive say in this.

Would have set the banks back years with people claiming back every penny they owe.

Zionists again.
AndyKent

25th Nov 09 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The important thing about all of this is that people getting charged £35 are because they have gone into an unarranged overdraft.

If you arrange one with your bank in advance of going overdrawn, you will find the charges are, on the whole, not too bad.

Going overdrawn without telling them is basically spending someone elses money without asking, hence the hefty fees.
Daimo B

25th Nov 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you know that I haven't been in the situation though Tom??? Just becuase I haven't gone on about every financial situation on here?????

Remember, you only know what I tell you about my life, so don't presume to know things about me that you don't.

Ever thoguht I might have been in the situation myself so have a valid opinion?

Remember, this is my OPINION, and I do not like being branded a snob, or "stuck up badger" just because peoples opinions do not match my own.

I defend my opinions, and people don't like that. Tough sh1t on those people.
A2H GO

25th Nov 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
The important thing about all of this is that people getting charged £35 are because they have gone into an unarranged overdraft.

If you arrange one with your bank in advance of going overdrawn, you will find the charges are, on the whole, not too bad.

Going overdrawn without telling them is basically spending someone elses money without asking, hence the hefty fees.

Not everyone is allowed an arranged an overdraft or wants one. Remember its not about the fact people are being charged, i totally agree they should be, its about the charges being excessive.
AndyKent

25th Nov 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent

Not everyone is allowed an arranged an overdraft or wants one. Remember its not about the fact people are being charged, i totally agree they should be, its about the charges being excessive.

Meh, if you take money you shouldn't be taking they can charge what they like.

Its not like any of these charges should come as a surprise, they're all laid out in the terms and conditions of your account.

I appreciate some people get into difficulties because of things out of their control (lose their job etc) in which case the charges are a bit 'unfair', but a lot of other people go overdrawn because they are careless. They don't know how much is in their account but they keep spending away.

Maybe the charges will remind them not to do it again?
SVM 286

25th Nov 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206

They have ruled in favour of the banks, a shock decision but nothing can be done for the short term now i don't think

Is this US or UK or both?
pow
Premium Member

25th Nov 09 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do agree with Daimo.

It's not even your money in the first place!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Reclaiming Bank Charges Supreme Court Result 22 database queries in 0.0195630 seconds