corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » woman are better drivers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author woman are better drivers
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
4th Mar 03 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about Hayley? (corsa_girl) she ain't too shit hot at staying on the road
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 03 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I don't see women with the highest land speed etc...

Thats because women are not aerodynamic with big fat floppy tits waving around, easily lose 5-6mph!

they do have their use's tho

[Edited on 04-03-2003 by 3CorsaMeal]
Keeley

4th Mar 03 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u get good drivers and bad drivers not all bad drivers r women theres blokes 2 !!!!!!
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ALL WOMEN DRIVERS SUCK ARSE
Keeley

4th Mar 03 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really?
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes they are all lame, cos they dont know the handling and abilities of there cars, for example wen involved in a crash most just panic and fuck things up even more.

Men are so much more competent.

And dont use the excuse women statistically have fewer crashes, thats bollox cos they see a lot more in there rear view mirrors

[Edited on 04-03-2003 by Steve106GTi]
Ned

4th Mar 03 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do I see women in F1??? nope! What about WRC??? nope again
Keeley

4th Mar 03 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ned Noodle

oh here we go again with more sad little remarks av u finished 4 the day yet
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ned has a pointer
Keeley

4th Mar 03 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who gives a shit
Ned

4th Mar 03 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Miss CorsaSri
quote:

oh here we go again with more sad little remarks av u finished 4 the day yet

What the F*ck? only adding to the post, nothing to do with you at all!
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the fact remains there is no women in these sports
Ned

4th Mar 03 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve106GTi
but the fact remains there is no women in these sports

Only in the pit lanes
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

making the coffee for the drivers hee hee
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also maybe doing a little washing up lmao
Keeley

4th Mar 03 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awww dont u 2 make a lovely couple aint it sweet
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes
Chris@Speedfreex

4th Mar 03 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

women drivers better

behave
Ned

4th Mar 03 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nar, me and steve don't make a good couple, we have the same name so it gets confusing
Adam

4th Mar 03 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

you should post your opinions on here as well

http://www.bwrdc.co.uk/

and

"DAVID FINLAY

Women In Motorsport - 26/09/02

I've become increasingly fed up over the years with the claims that motorsport is a man's game, and that it is almost impossible for female drivers to raise enough sponsorship to be able to take part. It's quite common to hear women saying this when they're having a hard time getting anywhere in the sport, and God knows I can understand how frustrating a process it can be, and how tempting it is to find an easy explanation when things aren't working out. But those particular explanations simply won't wash.
The second one is more easily dealt with. It's almost impossible for anyone to raise enough sponsorship to compete at a high level. To a greater extent than almost any other activity - with the possible exception of power-boat racing - success in motorsport demands first of all that you have enough money, and only then that you can actually do the job. The most talented driver in the world will get precisely nowhere if he or she does not have the funding to be able to drive a competitive car with the right back-up in the right events.

It's fairly easy to work out who are the best footballers on the planet, or the best snooker players, or the best swimmers. You just have to look at who's winning the top-ranking events. But if you tell me that the twenty people currently competing in Formula 1 are also the twenty people who are most capable of driving those cars on those circuits, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Those twenty drivers are all men. If one of them was a woman, then the male/female split would be 95% to 5%. The arithmetic becomes a little crude here, but let's take this to mean that of all the people in the world who want to become Grand Prix drivers, fewer than 5% of them are women.

Look At The Facts

I think there's evidence to support that - if you look at an average UK national race meeting with, say, 100 entries, you might well be surprised to find more than five female drivers among them. All other considerations aside, there would be more chance of a woman competing in F1 if more women actually wanted to do it.

Actually, I think the chances are slightly better than 5%. I know several people who have managed to attract sponsorship deals precisely because they were women. It's good for publicity, precisely because the public perception is that motorsport is indeed a man's game.

But anyone who knows anything about the sport must also be aware that this just isn't true. There is no bar on women competing in races or rallies. The only form of the sport I know which separates male and female drivers is autograss, and the split has been made specifically so that two partners can compete on the same event in the same car. There is no other reason for this segregation (and in fact women sometimes apply for male licences so that they can race against the men if they want to).

One reason given for the small number of women taking part in motorsport is that it is a physical game. Well, okay, you do have to have a certain level of endurance, and in Formula 1 especially there are considerable G forces to contend with. But come on - this isn't weightlifting. I'm sure that the likes of Serena Williams (tennis) or Marion Jones (athletics), to take just two examples, could cope with the physical demands of driving any competition car in the world.

Motorsport is in any case more of a mental sport than a physical one. You have to be clever. You have to understand what the car is doing and be able to react quickly, and to anticipate correctly. You have to be able to concentrate on the job at hand even when the car is teetering on the brink of a major accident. Men and women think differently, of course, but I don't think there is anything in the mental aspect of motorsport that gives either side a particular advantage.

Although, In The Most Powerful Racers . . .

With the possible exception of drag racing. One of the hot properties in that sport at present, at least on this side of the Atlantic, is the 18 year-old Swedish girl Susann Callinn. Callinn has the ability to control a 6000-plus bhp, 0-300mph in 5 seconds Top Fuel dragster to such an extent that she made it to the last round of the European Finals meeting at Santa Pod a few weeks ago. And she is just the latest of a long line of top-notch female drag racers - Monica Oberg and Anita Makela in Europe, Lori Johns and Shirley Muldowney (who was so famous in the 1970s that Hollywood made a film of her life) in the States, and many others.

Drag racing has a higher proportion of world-class female drivers than any other form of motorsport I know. My theory about this - not a well-thought-out one, and open to challenge - is that women are actually better at focusing on what they are doing when all hell is breaking loose around them. In which case, so much for motorsport being a man's game.

There are dozens of other examples. There is currently no woman driver competing at the top level in world rallying, but that may be as much an accident of history as much as anything else. Louise Aitken-Walker comes immediately to mind, since she was the first ever Ladies World Rally Champion, though I think it's a pity that this is what she is best known for, as that series was not strongly contested.

On the other hand, it did give her an admittedly unwelcome chance to demonstrate her bravery. In Portugal she went off the road, and the car fell straight down the side of a hill into a lake, quickly sinking to the bottom. Louise and her co-driver Tina Thorner (who is still competing today, alongside Skoda works driver Kenneth Eriksson) somehow got out of the car, but they still had to regain dry land.

In an interview a few weeks later, Louise told me told me the most chilling story I have ever heard from any driver - after escaping from the car, her lungs by now feeling like they were about to burst, she looked up at the surface of the water twelve feet away and thought, "I'm not going to make this. I'm going to die." But she did make it. And she was back in action on the very next event.

Louise was also the first woman ever to win a UK national rally outright, and it's often forgotten that her versatility led her to being chosen to drive for Vauxhall in the British Touring Car Championship back in 1989. Vauxhall was more than happy to rely on her to rack up a string of second places in the 2-litre category (the BTCC ran on a class system back then) and assist John Cleland to win the series outright.

Pike's Peak And WRC

Possibly the greatest female rally driver ever was Michèle Mouton, who was unquestionably a front runner, and on one occasion very nearly won the World Championship (her Audi Quattro's transmission let her down in the final round). Mouton also won the Pike's Peak hillclimb, and had no problem taming the ferocious 600bhp Quattro S1 which was far more of an animal to drive than anything currently competing in the WRC.

Long before Mouton's career started, Pat Moss was winning events - including the brutal 1960 Liège-Rome-Liège - in an Austin-Healey 3000. That was another beast of a car, in an era when today's business of resting every night would be considered soppy (rally crews back then often had to continue competing for days without a break).

Move back to the current scene and you find Jutta Kleinschmidt, a past winner of the Paris-Dakar Rally for Mitsubishi. That involved blasting through African deserts for nearly three weeks, and you're not going to tell me that doesn't require an above-average level of wit and strength.

Racing? Dozens of examples. Giovanna Amati was the last woman to compete in Formula 1, back in the early 1990s. She didn't do at all well, but that was largely because she was driving a Brabham. Even Damon Hill (who became World Champion a few years later) struggled to qualify when he was driving one of those.

The Inimitable Eliska

Women have been successful in racing almost since racing began. One of my favourites is Eliska Junek (better known as Elisabeth, but I prefer her original Czech name). Junek, who died just a few years ago, raced Bugattis back in the 1920s, and there's a wonderful story about her ordering a Grand Prix version from the factory and saying she would be along to pick it up when it was ready. Ettore Bugatti assumed it would actually be collected by a team of mechanics who would put it on a train to Czechoslovakia, and was astonished when Junek arrived in person and drove the car home herself.

Junek saw the value of practising before events at a time when this was an unusual thing to do. And she is often credited for being one of the first drivers to walk round a course before an event, noting landmarks and checking out the best line through the corners. The really remarkable thing about this was that the event in question was the original Targa Florio, in which each lap consisted of over 60 miles of public roads on Sicily!

Help . . . I've written far too much, and I still haven't mentioned Kay Petre, who raced with great success at Brooklands; or Jenny Birrell, one of the fastest British saloon car racers of the 1970s; or '50s rally star Anne Hall; or Ellen Lohr, a works driver for Mercedes in the ferociously competitive German Touring Car Championship (in cars with nearly double the power of their BTCC equivalents); or Gillian Philp, one of the hardest competitors in the cauldron-like sport of Stock Rod racing; or . . .

More and more names are coming to mind as I type, and I'm sure I'll spend the next few days regretting that I missed out another dozen, at least. I know good male drivers and good female drivers, and bad male ones and bad female ones. The point is that motorsport simply isn't for men only. The male bias is simply down to the fact that more men than women want to take part. If there are any women who want to go racing or rallying but think they can't because of their gender, I hope someone puts them right.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I never want to be beaten by a woman when I'm racing. But then I don't want to be beaten by a man either. "
Steve
Premium Member

4th Mar 03 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

give a shit women cant drive, its not programmed into there brains to do so, they are programmed to cook and wash and iron and give head

[Edited on 04-03-2003 by Steve106GTi]
hana
Banned

4th Mar 03 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u so shouldnt have done this thread it is just like asking steve to have a big bitch. he he he he
Katarina

4th Mar 03 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Super SI why you want me to embrasse jodi, I could tell you about the time he rode his bike into the cannal

[Edited on 04-03-2003 by Katarina]
nik

4th Mar 03 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steve a lot of female rally drivers would pish allover you in a race
Nath

5th Mar 03 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think some women drivers suffer from under-confidence. Some women drivers i know hesitate too much and concentrate way too hard on where they r going.

But then again u do see twats in nova's etc. ragging the tits off their car. But whats worse?? Under confidence or over confidence? Both can cause accidents IMO.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » woman are better drivers 22 database queries in 0.0155351 seconds