corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Evo V Saxo

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Evo V Saxo
Graham88

User status: Offline
24th Dec 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JayCarr
So the faster car should drive half throttle down the straights to keep behind you, just so you can drive a bit quicker through the corner?

We had this situation at Snetterton, lotus elises, all over us through the corners but were left on the straights. We'd let them through by backing off in the end only to catch them up a few straights later. Its frustrating on both sides of the coin.

In some cases it's better just to go slow and let somebody get half a lap ahead when it's like that. But in my case the Scooby was clearly slower by far as you can carry so much speed through corners but he wasn't doing it so I was getting miles ahead after a few bends
big eck

24th Dec 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
Its an AX.

As far as i was aware it was VTS lump, 206 gti 2.0 top/bottom end, not sure which, and supercharged???

lol,

nothing to do with 2.0 bottom end, and it's the engine out of the ax in a saxo

if i'm right it's a forged j4 bottom end with jp4 head with cat cam 704 cams with a rotrex super charger and kms ecu.

[Edited on 24-12-2009 by gazza808]

Last time I spoke to Tam (the owner) he said it was a mix of 206gti bottom end and saxo vts top.

At the time he had to extend the front wings of the AX to accommodate the supercharger.
big eck

24th Dec 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by am4nf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP_Pvi0ZEIk&feature=related

Anyone on here?

Thats fukin quick in a straight line

I'd love to go for a spin in a quick corsa
Paul_J

24th Dec 09 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JayCarr
So the faster car should drive half throttle down the straights to keep behind you, just so you can drive a bit quicker through the corner?

We had this situation at Snetterton, lotus elises, all over us through the corners but were left on the straights. We'd let them through by backing off in the end only to catch them up a few straights later. Its frustrating on both sides of the coin.

I have a general rule of thumb, if a car is sitting on my bumper for over a lap - then i will let them through (usually before this)...

Basically if a car is stuck to your bumper for over half the lap, the chances are, they'll be quicker overall throughout the whole lap. If the saxo let the evo through, and the evo didn't disapear and the saxo was sitting on the bumper of the evo for a lap or two, then i'd expect the evo to pull back in and let the saxo past... however, it was obvious watching that, it wouldn't be the case.

At snetterton, it's a lot more straight in places / high speed than knockhill which is mostly corners.
antnee

24th Dec 09 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone catches you up, move out the way!! Doesn't matter if you are quicker down the straights! If you are pull over and go half throttle for 1 straight!!
Paul_J

24th Dec 09 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I had it when I was going around Lydden with a Scooby, slow around the bends and accelerates away on the straights, it's so frustrating, as can be heard by my swearing in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-6gmGQf6S4

2 minutes onwards

[Edited on 24-12-2009 by Graham88]

that scooby is rediculous! doesn't even take a racing line through the corners...

Thing is, by people not pulling in - it often makes it a more 'dangerous' track environment as people try anything to get past. As I say, I go past people in corners these days on track days, as it gets so frustrating sitting behind them only for them to blast away on the straights. Once they're behind me i lose them after a few corners.

Nice driving though graham
big eck

24th Dec 09 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to have a go on a track but its not my driving that worries me its someone else piling into me.

The way that saxo and evo are racing past each other and passing others on both sides at the same time is an accident waiting to happen imo.
Paul_J

24th Dec 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
I'd love to have a go on a track but its not my driving that worries me its someone else piling into me.

The way that saxo and evo are racing past each other and passing others on both sides at the same time is an accident waiting to happen imo.

All knockhill videos look like this - same with the vid graham posted of lydden... quite lax rules.

Other track days are very strick and stop people overtaking in corners / only over take on one side and split the people into groups so novice group / med / experience group etc..

track days are fairly safe to be honest.
big eck

24th Dec 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was all set to give it a go one day when I bottled it and my mate put his tommi mak evo on instead. He done 3 laps and lost it on one of the corners sliding into the gravel and the twat behind him was to busy watching and not concentrating and skidded right into the side of him.
Paul_J

24th Dec 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well only on my personal experiences, I've never come close to stacking it ever or have anyone else stack into me.
big eck

24th Dec 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it would be safer goin to one of the top marquee nights as its more exotic machinery and they are more likely to look after there cars a bit better and not risk bumping into someone.
SportBoy

24th Dec 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can remeber having abit of a battle with a kit car at brands , he was following me for about 2 laps so i thought id let him past .. and then he proceeds to spin infront of me .. the passenger looked abit worried then smiled as i managed to dodge them
Graham88

24th Dec 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
All knockhill videos look like this - same with the vid graham posted of lydden... quite lax rules.

Other track days are very strick and stop people overtaking in corners / only over take on one side and split the people into groups so novice group / med / experience group etc..

track days are fairly safe to be honest.

Yeah the difference between Lydden and Brands was something else.

Lydden you basically do what you want

Brands are so strict, the second you look like you're going to do something wrong you can see them reach for the black flag, they have a blue flag system to let you know a faster car is behind you just incase you don't realise, just a generally better system.

In the instance of the Corsa and Evo basically 'weaving' through traffic on track, I doubt they'd be let back on track at Brands if they did that.
wakey1512

24th Dec 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watching all that extremely close tailgating pisses me off to fuck theres no need
gazza808

24th Dec 09 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
Its an AX.

As far as i was aware it was VTS lump, 206 gti 2.0 top/bottom end, not sure which, and supercharged???

lol,

nothing to do with 2.0 bottom end, and it's the engine out of the ax in a saxo

if i'm right it's a forged j4 bottom end with jp4 head with cat cam 704 cams with a rotrex super charger and kms ecu.

[Edited on 24-12-2009 by gazza808]

Last time I spoke to Tam (the owner) he said it was a mix of 206gti bottom end and saxo vts top.

At the time he had to extend the front wings of the AX to accommodate the supercharger.

i'm 100percent sure it's a 1600,
no 206 gti bottom end, maybe a 1600 lump out of a 206 asits a common place to source a jp4 head with bigger valves.
yes he did have to extend it, and the slicks were ripping his shell apart at the seams literly.

also he was running standard ax brakes would you believe it, seen alot about it on saxosportsclub.com where he posts alot etc. also it was in PFC.
am4nf

24th Dec 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc ive seen the build thread for it and there was gti something invloved
jr

24th Dec 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well only on my personal experiences, I've never come close to stacking it ever or have anyone else stack into me.

foxhole - germany - 127mph - sideways
Graham88

24th Dec 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck
Premium Member

24th Dec 09 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I had it when I was going around Lydden with a Scooby, slow around the bends and accelerates away on the straights, it's so frustrating, as can be heard by my swearing in the video

2 minutes onwards

that scooby is rediculous! doesn't even take a racing line through the corners...

Thing is, by people not pulling in - it often makes it a more 'dangerous' track environment as people try anything to get past. As I say, I go past people in corners these days on track days, as it gets so frustrating sitting behind them only for them to blast away on the straights. Once they're behind me i lose them after a few corners.

Get off your high horse you stupid twat. All I seem to read about from you is how good you think you are! What if it was this persons' first time? Granted they should of let Graham past if he was driving faster, but because he doesn't take the "racing lines"? Who the fuck do you think you are?

[Edited on 24-12-2009 by Eck]
Corsa_Sport21

25th Dec 09 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

End of the day,track days and such are for having fun.The guy in the saxo looked like he was having fun.Was probably loving it,pulling away from an Evo in what most would class as a french shit box.The Evo isnt slow at all.Always up at Knockhill putting in decent times and laps,driven by a girl too iirc.

Id see the point in pulling in if he was holding him up on the straights,but he wasnt.If the Evo was that much better on the corners,then imo he couldve held back,got the run up,and passed.Instead he sat on his tail all the time and didnt have enough power to pass when out of the corners.

Its much easier to judge when chasing than it is when being chased.

[Edited on 25-12-2009 by Corsa_Sport21]
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Dec 09 at 02:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're in an underpowered car and want to pass things, you need to drive a bit more decisively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNfDZgu3c0

This 200SX didn't want to let me past even though I showed interest a number of times, but being a bit slower on the way in gave me legs on the exit.

You can't expect people to make way - its their day as much as yours - but you can play to your strengths.

I think on watching the Evo chasing the Saxo, it still would be close as he's not exactly slow through the bends, just not quite as committed as the Evo can be. And the Evo driver doesn't sound particularly put out by it all.

[Edited on 25-12-2009 by Ian]
wwwNOOBcom

25th Dec 09 at 02:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you want him to do, move out the way in the corners?????

The evo was driving like a cock as well, weaving in and out of traffic, goes both ways like somone says, its not a race
Paul_J

25th Dec 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
quote:

2 minutes onwards

Get off your high horse you stupid twat. All I seem to read about from you is how good you think you are! What if it was this persons' first time? Granted they should of let Graham past if he was driving faster, but because he doesn't take the "racing lines"? Who the fuck do you think you are?

lol calm down

- What is actually wrong with what I said?

FACT: He doesn't take a racing line (which is one reason why it's causing him to be slow)
FACT: He's driving quite slow on the corners
FACT: He's blasting away on the straights
FACT: Graham is faster.
FACT: The scooby should of let Graham past.

... So what's the problem?

... If it's the scooby drivers first time, then yes - he should be letting people past or going out in a novice session.
DannyB
Premium Member

25th Dec 09 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Eck was a tad intoxicated last night
Paul_J

25th Dec 09 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I think Eck was a tad intoxicated last night

ah wondered where that reaction came from

To be honest, I am on my high horse when it comes to track driving... Just because I'm not in a 'race car' and not a 'famous racing driver' - it doesn't mean I'm shit.

I am a fairly good driver, got a whole array of karting tropheys from when I was a kid. Still find I can usually turn up at a karting track today and win. I'm not as fast in a car as I am in a kart (slight difference in safety / consequence when crashing), but I'm still not slow in a car.

When I say something factual regarding track activities, it makes me laugh when people get wound up. It's not like I'm VXR lecturing people about driving on nurburgring when I haven't been.

[Edited on 25-12-2009 by Paul_J]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Evo V Saxo 22 database queries in 0.0145459 seconds