corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whos been traveling?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whos been traveling?
sumner2k3

User status: Offline
1st Jan 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 of my friends have just gone traveling for a year, they left on boxing day and started out in thailand and going to be spending their last 6 months in austrailia but one of them got bitten by something on their 4th night and is now curruntly in hospital on a drip because she had an elergic (sp) reaction to the bite

[Edited on 01-01-2010 by sumner2k3]
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loverly....just what i wanted to hear lol
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah everything included, flights, accomidation, food, drink, shopping, etc etc.

Basically I spent around £3000 before I left, e.g. Flights, a few things pre booked etc... Then roughly spent around £1000 a month ... Under £1000 in asia, and over £1000 a month in oz / nz.

NZ I prob spent £1500+ due to cost of things like sky dives, bungee jumps (I did 3), the photos etc of them, jet boats, ice glaciar hiking, white water rafting, quad biking etc etc etc...

all those things were pricey.

In Asia I was spending about £3-4 a night on accomidation (sharing with my mate) so £6-8 a night for twin room (300-400 baht)...

but in Aus / NZ it was like £8-£12 a night each for hostels.

You can do it really cheap (I know people who've done 6 months on like 4.5k total (some work too)) - and you can do it bloody expensive, I know a bloke who spent £25k travelling as he refused to slum it anywhere. (cosmo).
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1k a month is what i would think

and you do some good things, id like to skydive/bungee jump etc

id go NZ and OZ, cant say i know much about the other countries

6months seems abit right...i guess you just have to see how it goes

does it work out if cheaper staying if theres two of you (female) ?

if i put aside 10k il have more than enough, would you of stayed out longer if you could afford it?

i think its something you can only do when your young and have no commitments
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if I could do it again, I'd not tie myself down so much...

I'd start by going alone, as i felt my mate stopped me doing things / made me have to double check whether we should do anything first, rather than just doing it.

Secondly, i'd of gone less places, for longer / not spent so long in thailand (6 weeks).

Finally I'd probably go some more random places, everywhere I went felt like I was just a walking $$$ sign, with all the locals wanting to rip you off and make as much money as possible.

I'd love to go somewhere random where they don't get that many tourists and you can have more random experiences. Like Mongolia, or parts of Russia.

Thing is, I really missed my family / mates / life back home... Plus i felt I was missing out on making money at home - so half way through started wanting to come home...

However, glad I did it... If I won the lottery tommorrow, I'd go travelling definately!

1 ) Buy Porsche GT3 RS
2 ) Go nurburg and smash it up
3 ) Go travelling...

is what i'd do.
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv decieded, if i leave it any later, i wont do it

iv put it off for long enough, hopefuly thailand will give me a taster for it!

il just to work abit harder, over the next few months, as i have a few more expensive holidays planned for before....as i dont want to come back and have nothing

going to have a week and abit driving across europe, down to the alps, and up to the 'ulimate driving roads' in switziland

[Edited on 01-01-2010 by Warren G]
Paul_J

1st Jan 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has to be done... the money is painful, but not the end of the world... It used to make me laugh that i had all this money saved up for travelling, but still drove a £2000 106.
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im investing my traveling money in a astra gsi and a ktm 660

A1EX

1st Jan 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gimme a shout if u want anymore advice on the place
Laney

1st Jan 10 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone I know that has been has told me to learn some Thai before I go, basically so you don't come across as just another tourist and they generally don't rip you off (as much!).

Westerners are seen as cash-cows but from what I've read and heard (correct me if I'm wrong) its quite a poor country?

I've also been warned to stay away pretty much anything "female"
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Jan 10 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched Phuket on that Tsunami program a couple of nights ago. Looks amazing out there from the footage before it struck...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
A1EX

1st Jan 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you're only going to be here for a short period of time there's no need to learn any thai really, it won't be of much benefit, as they will still know you're a tourist and you probably wouldnt be able to pronounce the words well enough to make them think you're not and theyll just end up laughing at you
When buying things off the market areas, fakes, dvds etc, try to avoid the indians as much as possible, they are the most annoying ppl here and rip people off twice as much. Always buy off Thais if you have the choice. It really depends what you're going to be buying, if its board shorts, t-shirts etc, u can haggle them down quite easily to reasonable prices, dvds are generally between 60-70 bht per disc, thats non negotiable mostly, and always ask if it is a good copy.
Finally as for the women, well if you like asians and wish to take some to the hotel, you can get them from bars and just pay a bar fine and they are "legit" hookers from the bars, u can tell for the most part if they are ladyboys(kathoeys as they are called here) if in doubt just ask. If you arent all keen on Asians then theres soooooo many other nationalities to keep you occupied much better imo.
Just remember you are in a foreign country, show respect to Thais at all times even if they piss you off, its not worth the hassle at the end of it trust me, and don't be a fool wrap your tool
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh, thats also worring - tsunami!

looks like a beatuiful place!
Warren G

1st Jan 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

luckerly for me, i only like english! lol
gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Jan 10 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to let me know how you got on in europe as thats something I really want to do soon

Drives supercharged Tec with torque

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Whos been traveling? 23 database queries in 0.4408619 seconds