corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » show us ya fish tanks and ponds

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author show us ya fish tanks and ponds
tom130691
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 10 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did get a little bottle that mentioned some thing about the filter on it
had to put 2 drops every other day for a week sound like the stuf ?
chloe16v

2nd Jan 10 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also, shops will try selling you bottles or water conditioner, dont bether with it, i never did, just used tap water and i never had any probs, was doing that for years
tom130691
Premium Member

2nd Jan 10 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye it came with the tank lol
i never did bother with the cold water tank i used to have
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

again chloe maybe you was lucky with the water that comes from ur tap it maybe neutral in its ph level. chlorine dissipates after a while anyway 1-2 days

saxo-tom just add x2 platy's if it were me and no more for about 6 weeks lol until its finished its cycle

[Edited on 02-01-2010 by corsa120]
chloe16v

2nd Jan 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my fish tank was fully loaded with in a month , it was a 4x2x2 though so did have enough water to be able to keep stable
chloe16v

2nd Jan 10 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one thing this thread has prooved is that you dont always have to go by the book to get a good out come
tom130691
Premium Member

2nd Jan 10 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye i no i could dump them in they would be fine but by doing it properly they last longer and im a student and poor lol
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long did ur fish live for chloe, lets take my blue rams is kept in a bad tank which becomes stabalized they may make 6 months at best.....

they really should make 2 years, hence the reaosn i said they may look healthy from the inside but you will have caused them long term damage which wont be noticiable but does corrupt there potential age
chloe16v

2nd Jan 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had my fish tank for over 3 years and hardly lost anything, my guppies was breeding very well and my rams lasted a good couple of years aswell, infact the only reason i stopped with the trops was because i moved house and had a marine tank aswell but the house wasnt big enough for both tanks so my sis-in-law took the fish, this was over 2 years ago and some are styill going strong my fella had his tank running for at least 6 years, he had a pleco that was almost a foot long (it was a coulpe of inch long when he bought it) and some silver sharks that were 8inch long (they were 3" max when bought) apart from probs with snails that had come off the plants he never had any probs at all
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
also you need an airpump in it to help oxygenate the water, and live plants to consume the nitrates

You dont need either tbh.

Just put the filter outlet near the water surface so it breaks it. And you dont leave live plants in a tank at all - and tbh they can often do more bad than good.
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And re the stuff in bottles from fish shops, 99% of it is crap. The bacteria needed in the filter is not free floating in water, this means you cant bottle it up and sell it - so what they sell is crap.

However, you should ALWAYS dechlorinate water, both when first putting it in and when you do water changes. You may think it has no effect on your fish, but they are extremely effected by the chlorine and it leaves them open to getting some nasty diseases and internal problems.
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i no im just trying to help the lad out as new tanks need as much help as possible to keep water parameters down.......

plants will consume the nitrates and the air stone may not be massively important but it will help, its like saying having a filter thats too big is wrong..... you cant over filtrate a tank
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah i no im just trying to help the lad out as new tanks need as much help as possible to keep water parameters down.......

plants will consume the nitrates and the air stone may not be massively important but it will help, its like saying having a filter thats too big is wrong..... you cant over filtrate a tank

An airstone does nothing but distribute the air after it comes out the pipe. The filter outlet breaking the water surface does just the same amount - thats all Ive ever had on even the massive tank.

And plants will only complicate matters more - you have to look at your co2 levels for a start, as well as introducing the potential for more algae and other bacteria growth. You also have to consider your lighting set up with plants as certain types will want different bulbs which supply light from varying parts of the spectrum.
chloe16v

2nd Jan 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

depends what tank it is tbh because you CAN over filtrate a marine tank, killing food sources for corals and fish like mandarins and scooter blennies
tom130691
Premium Member

2nd Jan 10 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will move the filter higher saves buying a pump ect
And get a small potted plant if it causes problems bin it lol
as for cycling ill buy me a neons or guppys 5 or 6 for now to sort that
and if they all die ill have to stab all of u for your advise

[Edited on 02-01-2010 by saxo_tom]
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

platy's not neans

fair do's cosmo i actually like talking to different people as you hear so many different things, i know a guy on tropicalfishforums website who is an expert and a real nice guy called plankton who gave me information about air stones etc and alot about the fish i planned to keep etc etc he's an old guy and actually set the website up..

air stones can have a massive advantage if your tank happened to go into a mini cycle to..
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

air stones do nothing, they are a porous material that spreads the air from the pipe and makes nice bubbles going up the tank. You'd get the same effect just not as good looking if you just left the pipe at the bottom. The stone itself has no beneficial or negative effects.

Whatever he has told you is wrong Im afraid to say.
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ohh no im not talking about the stone itself im talking about the pump dissipating air into the water
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah that does, but again its no better than having the filter outlet breaking the surface water, or an air inlet attached to your powerhead. You can over-oxygenate the aquarium and people put too many benefits on having a big air pump.
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you kept marine fish cosmo???

hopefully in th spring mine will be on its way, only starting with live rock and good batch of clean up crew and couple of clownfish maybe couple of other things like royal gamma or damsel
Cosmo

2nd Jan 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, I keep Piranha and never been interested in Marine tbh.

May look to keep a jellyfish in the future or a shark of some sort.
corsa120

2nd Jan 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jelly fish thats awesome.....
chloe16v

2nd Jan 10 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have kept marine fish, i have had a 6ft and an 8ft tank, if you need any info on them just ask
Whittie

3rd Jan 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tom130691
Premium Member

4th Jan 10 at 03:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ lol clean water and nice healthy looking fish

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » show us ya fish tanks and ponds 22 database queries in 0.0170379 seconds