corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What to look for when buying a CTR?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What to look for when buying a CTR?
Eck
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Jan 10 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As pip said, 2nd gear synchro. Know someone in which it went. He could tell as it crunched into gear.
big eck

8th Jan 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Things DO go wrong with them and there pretty expensive parts mate.

Steering rack is a commom problem which aint a cheap fix also 2nd gear goes on them as well.

Another big thing is they go through a stupid amount of oil so you need to always keep an eye on the dip stick.

If the cars lowered make sure the camber front and rear has been done or you'll go through a set of tyres every 2 months.

Other than that just general wear and tear things to check out.

Rob B

8th Jan 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
2 of my mates have pre facelift. Brakes have needed to be done on both, check discs and pads.

Think that happens on most cars
Jake

8th Jan 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hpi it, but dont use one of them moody £3.95 checks. Get one done on the RAC website
CORSA NUT

8th Jan 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU

It has 83k on the clock, 1 owner, FSH, and looks to be a very clean motor.

i aint clued up on them, so what is there to look for? what goes wrong with them etc?

obviuosly torque is an optional extra.

but in all seriousness....

Errrrrrrrr some fucking Torque would be nice

Sorry
K3 VMU

8th Jan 10 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did mention torque is an optional extra!! its really for the bird and i will use it when i am onshore,then in summer i have the bike, so not too worried about the optional torque kicked in yo package
big eck

8th Jan 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The torque isnt even that bad mate, its about the same as an 20XE tbh
flybikeslee

8th Jan 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they only "lack" in torque because they rev more, never hear anyone saying bikes are slow do you?
K3 VMU

8th Jan 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
The torque isnt even that bad mate, its about the same as an 20XE tbh

not a true story.

when i had my xe corsa a few years back i raced my mates CTR up a slight hill on dual carriageway out of aberdeen headin south, i was all over it like a rash.

true story

K3 VMU

8th Jan 10 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
they only "lack" in torque because they rev more, never hear anyone saying bikes are slow do you?

i recon once vtech kicked in it would leave my cbr standing....

maybe.
dannymccann

8th Jan 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
quote:

i recon once vtech kicked in it would leave my cbr standing....

maybe.

Sarcastic? Hard to tell, but if you are being serious, not a chance a standard CTR would leave your 600RR
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From the buyers guide on ctroc

CTR Buyers Guide

Ok, so I often see posts asking for buying tips on the CTR but we don't have a complete buyers guide we can all add too.
So I decided to make this one.

What should I look out for

Steering Rack

This was the most common and costly issue. There is a huge thread here
The most common way to spot this is to centre the steering wheel and let go, it will pull to the right more often than not if it hasn't been replaced under warranty.

2nd Gear

The next most common issue is the 2nd gear crunching. This is very common, especially when the car is cold. To spot this, you would need to make sure the car
hasn't been warmed up when you get there. If it has, you won't notice the problem so much until you have bought it and start up the next day!
See this thread for more info

Idle Control Valve

This is also a known issue. Once the car is warmed up, it feels like it will want to stall all the time. It normally just needs adjusting, any local garage / speciallist will be able to fix this.

Heatshield

The heatshield rattle can be annoying if you experience it. There is no definitive fix, either tighten the bolts or do what others have and remove it.

Corroding Alloys

Almost all of the alloys will corrode at some point. If you have a Honda warranty, get them replaced. The paint lacquer will start to peel off, the alloys from Honda cost around £250 each!

Noisy Valves (Tappets)

You may hear a tappety sound, more prevalent when the car is cold but also heard once it is warmed up. This should be done on the 75k service, it's just valve clearences and can be done at any time

Rocker Cover Paint

Under the bonnet, the Rocker Cover may have paint flaking away. It's nothing to worry about, just makes the engine bay look untidy!

Door Handles

The interior door handles often lose paint (the silver handle and surround on the inside). Again, this is a known issue and can be rectified with some vauxhall silver paint from your local Halfords

Alarm going off

There is also a known issue with the alarm constantly sounding. This is when water seeks it's way through the ariel and allows moisture in. Take the car back into the dealer and get them to sort it out of you have a warranty.
If no warranty, still take it to a dealer!

Mine was fine with no issues. They do use oil though. Will use none for ages and then suddenly inhale half a dipstickful

But essentially

> hpi (so many cat d and c's about)
> Oil level + clean oil (even slightly low can cause big issues)
>Drives straight (flat road hands off wheels shouldnt go left of right)
>all gears engage smoothly at all revs to make sure synchros and clutch are in good health

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
K3 VMU

8th Jan 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry danny, yes i was being sarcastic, its not big and its not funny i know

my 600rr leaves alot of things standing, porsche 911 c4s, M6 , Lambo.

p

8th Jan 10 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing goes wrong with them. Just make sure you can afford the insurance and petrol as it costs a bomb Look at the brakes as well, quite a few CTR'S are rusted.
CORSA NUT

8th Jan 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Errrrrr no that's because there power to weight ratio is fuck all....On the road Torque is King.

Cars need Torque to lug the weight around and make them quick.I've driven loads of CTR's and been dissapointed to say the least.The S2000 on the other hand uses the engine/weight to it's advantage and is so much better to drive albeit very skittish.

A car without a Torque figure that matches or nears it's BHP output will never really feel as quick as it should be on paper.

I could real off a few cars as examples, and the qoutes from major car magazines if you like??
myatt

8th Jan 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

many of them have had new steering rack so i heard all done on warrenty so be worth an ask, hpi check also would be advised
Eck
Premium Member

8th Jan 10 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fir fuck sake. Right... They DO have almost as much torque as a 20XE, but it doesn't feel like it because the torque is right up the top of the rev range, with the power. That's why they feel gutless at low revs.
K3 VMU

9th Jan 10 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadee
Nothing goes wrong with them. Just make sure you can afford the insurance and petrol as it costs a bomb Look at the brakes as well, quite a few CTR'S are rusted.

insurance is only 580, so its too not bad.

Eck- calm down dear, its only a CTR !

lostboy
Banned

9th Jan 10 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Fir fuck sake. Right... They DO have almost as much torque as a 20XE, but it doesn't feel like it because the torque is right up the top of the rev range, with the power. That's why they feel gutless at low revs.

LOL, someone got trolled
Rob B

9th Jan 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lostboy
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

LOL, someone got trolled

Can you explain how someone got trolled? Other than you about 5 times in this thread
gavin18787
Premium Member

9th Jan 10 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt think they were that bad on petrol. 260 miles to a tank seemed ok to me

K3 VMU

9th Jan 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
quote:
Originally posted by lostboy
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

LOL, someone got trolled

Can you explain how someone got trolled? Other than you about 5 times in this thread

CORSA NUT

9th Jan 10 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787

Fuck i get that in my scooby! lol why on earth would anyone have a CTR over a Scooby.This is a crazy world
big eck

9th Jan 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cause they last longer
gavin18787
Premium Member

9th Jan 10 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787

Fuck i get that in my scooby! lol why on earth would anyone have a CTR over a Scooby.This is a crazy world

Meh we know you hate them. I liked the vtec noise and had a heavy right foot

If I was sensible I reckon I could get 300

VTS only gets 300 to a tank but I think thats because of the mods and the short ratio 106 box ive got on it

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What to look for when buying a CTR? 23 database queries in 0.2522359 seconds