corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » is a front 3 quater plate legal or not?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author is a front 3 quater plate legal or not?
Burny

User status: Offline
20th Jan 10 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read it fine, it's just not quite true. The special plates from that site are indeed legal...they comply with all the necessary regs. for a uk legal plate, and carry the code on them to verify this if you get pulled for it. Still, agree to disagree would appear to be an appropriate sentence here.
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing on dvla or vosa say that anything other than what a std car comes with is a legal plate.

id not take the risk. can get any code printed on anything you want doesnt make it legal tbh.
Root

20th Jan 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, if the copper is feeling like a dickhead and can't find anything else wrong with your vehichle that he wants to get you done for, he can get you done for a plate that is not standard. You can appeal against it but you will probably lose as most car modifications are in a "grey area", that is not exactly classed as legal or illegal. If in doubt, don't do it.
Burny

20th Jan 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you still have the link(s) to hand for the number plate information, mind posting them up? be interested to have a read and their websites are a mission to work the menu system if not i'll hunt them out
P1CK4D

20th Jan 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
nothing on dvla or vosa say that anything other than what a std car comes with is a legal plate.

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
Nothing is legal apart from the plate a standard car would come with.

John

20th Jan 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's changed recently, there isn't (wasn't) a specific size for a number plate, it just required a certain amount of space around the letters, 11mm or close to that iirc.
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Number plates must now use one specific, mandatory typeface - a very simple sans serif typeface intended to make the numbers easy to read by both humans and automatic recognition systems, which are increasingly being used by the police and other agencies. All hard-to-read variants, such as multiple stroke and italic fonts, are now prohibited. The one decorative variation still permitted is a 3D effect version of the mandatory typeface.

The size and spacing of number plate characters is specified in the regulations, as follows:

Each character must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except the number 1 or the letter I). The width of each character stroke must be 14mm. There must be a space of 11mm between characters within the same group, and character groups must be 33mm apart. For the purposes of measurement, each character (again, excepting the number 1 or the letter I), regardless of its shape, is treated as a rectangular block of dimensions 79mm x 50mm

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (green dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

The colours and reflectivity of number plates are also specified in the regulations, and there is a British Standard (BS AU 145d) which describes the physical characteristics of number plates, including: visibility, strength and reflectivity. Front plates must have black characters on a white background, while rear plates must have black characters on a yellow background. The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: the British Standard Number, the name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier, the name and postcode of the supplying outlet. A non-reflective border is optional. There may be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.
SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates
Required:

* White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
* Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
* The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
* Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted

Permitted but not required:

* 3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font
* Coloured, non-reflective border
* National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.

No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

* Fancy or decorative typefaces
* Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters
* Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups
* Altered characters
* Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

There are concessions for older and vintage cars. “Historic vehicles”, i.e. those built prior to 1973, are permitted to bear the old-style black plates of either plastic or traditional metal construction.

To quote the DVLA: "Vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style ‘black and white’ plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate."

does not say any form of metal pressed plates are legal. states no other meterial is allowed, ie numbers sticking out of the plate etc id say are covered by that.

dont do it.
James_DT

20th Jan 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Nothing on DVLA says that it can't be a pressed metal plate. It specifies size, font, reflective backing.
You can buy them with the correct sized, correct spaced, correct font, with relfective backings meeting the correct standards, sold from an RNPS. They're completely road legal, and are sold as such.
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Unless it's changed recently, there isn't (wasn't) a specific size for a number plate, it just required a certain amount of space around the letters, 11mm or close to that iirc.

can be bigger than a std plate, ie back of rover 75 etc
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
quote:

Nothing on DVLA says that it can't be a pressed metal plate. It specifies size, font, reflective backing.
You can buy them with the correct sized, correct spaced, correct font, with relfective backings meeting the correct standards, sold from an RNPS. They're completely road legal, and are sold as such.

it states no other material interering with the letters. ie sticking out is interfereing, or pressed in is. this is how they are not legal. because someone is trying to sell you something and claim its legal, doesnt ACTUALLY mean the dvla law covers it.
James_DT

20th Jan 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

There's a specific size for the letters as well as the space around them.
P1CK4D

20th Jan 10 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nic, I don't think they understand. One more time maybe..

quote:

mwg

20th Jan 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just be an illegal criminal and keep it. I had mine on for about 2 years and didn't get stopped once. Doesn't mean that you wont though
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Just be an illegal criminal and keep it. I had mine on for about 2 years and didn't get stopped once. Doesn't mean that you wont though

your dad is 5-0 though so you will have got special treatment for daddy's little soldier.
James_DT

20th Jan 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel you're the ones who don't understand.
You CAN buy road legal pressed metal plates, which meet every requirement.
When it says "no other material contained ON the plate" it isn't referring to what it's made of, and pressing the letters doesn't interfere with the letters in anyway what so ever.
P1CK4D

20th Jan 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never mentioned not to do it. I was just answering his question.

Yes, they are Illegal.

Edit - Wrong spelling.

[Edited on 20-01-2010 by P1CK4D]
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
and pressing the letters doesn't interfere with the letters in anyway what so ever.

yes it does. which means its not legal in this country.

if it was legal, why cant you buy cars from the dealerships with plates like that?
DannyB
Premium Member

20th Jan 10 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pulled into the petrol station the other night and parked behind a policewoman at the pumps, she turned round, seen my plate and stared at it and then went on her way, never said a thing.
P1CK4D

20th Jan 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I pulled into the petrol station the other night and parked behind a policewoman at the pumps, she turned round, seen my plate and stared at it and then went on her way, never said a thing.

That doesn't mean a thing. Someone in the police force could witness a mugging, but if their shift had ended, can't be bothered, or just lazy can choose to ignore. Would that mean the mugging was legal?
mwg

20th Jan 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

your dad is 5-0 though so you will have got special treatment for daddy's little soldier.

possibly true
James_DT

20th Jan 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, dealers don't offer the option so it isn't legal? That's a stupid argument.

It's an offense to supply plates that don't comply with DVLA regulations, and certain companies are quite explicit with the fact that they're UK legal.

edit: and they've been doing it since the law changed, so it's not like they wouldn't have been caught by now if they were breaking the law.

[Edited on 20-01-2010 by James_DT]
Burny

20th Jan 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81351

/end
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Oh, dealers don't offer the option so it isn't legal? That's a stupid argument.

It's an offense to supply plates that don't comply with DVLA regulations, and certain companies are quite explicit with the fact that they're UK legal.

the same company that is trying to sell them by any chance? nowhere else is it written that they are legal. funny that
P1CK4D

20th Jan 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

quote:
Nic Barnes

20th Jan 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Burny
http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81351

/end

oh no. it says something on the net so it must be true

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » is a front 3 quater plate legal or not? 22 database queries in 0.1474109 seconds