corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What job do you do and how did you get into it?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What job do you do and how did you get into it?
shaunmods
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Feb 10 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work part time for Sports Direct around college. My friend told me they were hiring new staff and that there was a recruitment day on. I turned up suited and booted to find it was invite only whoops! I managed to blag an interview and got the job

[Edited on 08-02-2010 by shaunmods]
Scotty C

8th Feb 10 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i work as a production worker at ford building 1.4 tdci and 1.6 tdci diesel engines for ford, volvo, mazda, peugeot and citreon.

So you'll know why they have stupid plastic retaining clips and those dodgy copper washers on the injectors? stupid fucked up idea! and it's a bastard of a job!!

I'm a Machanic

[Edited on 08-02-2010 by Monster]
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Feb 10 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently work at Halfords, have done so for 4 years.
My old man was good mates with one of the boys in there and when a job became available I applied and got it.

Its abit up and down at times with money and hours, but recently Ive been offered a new role which means more money, hours and some training which suits me well

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
sc0ott

8th Feb 10 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
I work part time for Sports Direct around college. My friend told me they were hiring new staff and that there was a recruitment day on. I turned up suited and booted to find it was invite only whoops! I managed to blag an interview and got the job

the exact same happened to me although i never wore a suit. I just turned up at the first day and got a job. this was about 3 years ago. it was a shite job, shite place to work, and never again will i be in retail.

edit: meant to add that i applied for a trainee architectural technician and got the job.

[Edited on 08-02-2010 by sc0ott]
Jordan C

8th Feb 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started out at kwickfit on £100 a week
Went to Mcconechy's and ended up on a van
Now do lorry / agra tyres and night time call outs
Like my job tbh gets me out and about
Kano

8th Feb 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jordan C
Started out at kwickfit on £100 a week
Went to Mcconechy's and ended up on a van
Now do lorry / agra tyres and night time call outs
Like my job tbh gets me out and about

I do similair..

Work for Green Flag, 24hrs on call from the house. I have my own van that nobody else uses so I can keep it decent and I can use for personal use if I need to go out or that. Boss is spot on, only 2 of us on call so get treated well and the pays pretty decent most of the time. Downside is some hellish days and being called out your bed never gets any easier.

Got the job as its my best mate who is the other driver and I knew the boss from years ago so just had to impress him at the interview and got the job.

Generation

8th Feb 10 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it seems (unfortunatly) its all about who you know. My old man works at a bus garage has done for 30 years, Not managed to get me a job, filled out al applications etc, no joy.
Its a nightmare, If I could get £200 a week as an apprentice I would do it. Ben you're local get me in Like your dad did you
kz

8th Feb 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a radiation physics technician.

Come from an IT background, new nothing about radiotherapy... in fact it was the only non-IT job that I applied for. Over 70 people applied for the job, and despite having no experience in the field, I brown nosed my way in by going for a look around the department before hand. After the interview, they told me that earnt me a lot of brownie points...
shaunmods
Premium Member

8th Feb 10 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ottthe exact same happened to me although i never wore a suit. I just turned up at the first day and got a job. this was about 3 years ago. it was a shite job, shite place to work, and never again will i be in retail.

I felt well over dressed compared to the other people being interviewed lol, but I'm a strong believer of first impression count. I know what you mean about not working in retail again, Its hard being spoken to like shit by customers and managers everytime you work. I find it so hard to bite my tongue with dickhead customers that think I should bend over backwards for them.

stuartmitchell

8th Feb 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant even remember applying for my job and no idea how I ended up in recruitment
K3 VMU

8th Feb 10 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
If I could get £200 a week as an apprentice I would do it.

no chance i would say, when i started my appretice ship, £2.41 p/h working roughly a 40hour week, all depends, was shite like, but it went up every year, when i left i was on £11.50 that was a couple year ago, now i get paid by the day
Generation

8th Feb 10 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I will give kwik fit a call, after looking on their wesbite they do some apprenterships, Do it for a few years, and as said above, hopfully money will go up with experiance which is more than fair from their POV
deano87

8th Feb 10 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm an overworked, underpaid Marketing Co-ordinator for a logistics company.

I got a part-time, temp job there whilst I was at Uni. They took me on to assist estimating 1 day per week.

Then that role was made redundant, but they kept me on for marketing (what I was initially employed for). Then they kept me on when I finished Uni in July.
sc0ott

8th Feb 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
quote:
Originally posted by sc0ottthe exact same happened to me although i never wore a suit. I just turned up at the first day and got a job. this was about 3 years ago. it was a shite job, shite place to work, and never again will i be in retail.

I felt well over dressed compared to the other people being interviewed lol, but I'm a strong believer of first impression count. I know what you mean about not working in retail again, Its hard being spoken to like shit by customers and managers everytime you work. I find it so hard to bite my tongue with dickhead customers that think I should bend over backwards for them.

on the upside i and a few others just sat in the shoe stock room and munched on bags of penny mixtures.
J da Silva

9th Feb 10 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on the dole but the benefits I get are more than what I'd earn anyway so fuck getting a job.
Budgie

9th Feb 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently working in as a logistics and rma co-ordinator at a network support company.
roles include moving a couple of boxes.
swapping contracts over on parts
making teas and coffee.
mum got me a part time job here while i was unemployed
x14xe sport

9th Feb 10 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

self employed joiner, left school and got an apprentiship a week after leaving, worked full time and went to college 2 days a week to gain nvq level 3 advanced construction award, stayed with my firm for 3 yrs and went self employed, now employ a brick layer and labourer and have a maintenance contract with two estate agents and have been approved by my local council as a recomended company, oh and i'm only 21 :-)
C2RL R

9th Feb 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maintenance electrician.

i wanted to be a sparkie so went to college doing electrical installation. at the end of my first year my firm came into college asking for the two best lads to go for a job trial for an apprenticeship. we went and i got picked. been here ever since.
strick206

9th Feb 10 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Horse Racing Trader

Got into it after working in the call centre for 2 years while at uni, the job came up as soon as i graduated so it was straight into full time work.

Looking to move on now, money isn't good, although i make my money on the horses too

Just had an assessment day at network rail for a graduate position, don't think i'll get it but got just over a 2/1 chance
strick206

9th Feb 10 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBoom

Got into the railway after a rediculous application process, that invloved telephone voice assesments, a 450 mile round trip for a medical, written tests, 2 interviews, and then 3 weeks training.

All to be a glorfied labourer.

I'm going through this process at the minute, just had stage 3 or whatever it is, an all day assessment in watford, nearly 200miles away
Neo

9th Feb 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT Accounts and Systems Manager

Did IT for A level

Got my first job 4 weeks after finishing 6th form as a tech in a school, was there about 8 months.

Moved to a "security" company initially just doing their networking etc however worked my way into R&D and development as well as installations etc. Was there 18 months

Then came here, started co-managing 4 sites, now have 17 of my own sites with 2 people at each.
a_j_mair

9th Feb 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Architectural technician

been surrounded by it all my life, did my work experience at an engineers, went to college did an HND then managed to get a job at architects round corner from engineer i had worked at
ryzer

9th Feb 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contracts Manager at HP, got a temp job straight out of uni and got offered a permanent position 4 months later. its boring and we are hopelessly underpaid
ed

9th Feb 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Research Student. Got asked to do it, got a 2:1 for my BSc so I did it...
SteveW

9th Feb 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Senior Support Technician is my official title..

I work for a software house doing bespoke software for the Freight industry and HMRC

role does include ; software testing, customer service visits, network setups.. lots of random stuff really

got this job by just trawling round all the agencies. Got call back and thats it.. been here nearly 3 years and getting a pretty good wage too.. its easy and im pretty happy

should have said about other stuff too..
Did a GNVQ Advanced in General IT
a HND in General IT
a BSc Topup Year in Internet Technology
a Microsoft SQL Management course

and soon will finish my CCNA.. when work get around to paying for it that is

[Edited on 09-02-2010 by SteveW]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What job do you do and how did you get into it? 23 database queries in 0.0149469 seconds