corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A website specifically for people to post projects?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A website specifically for people to post projects?
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
14th Feb 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I liked the idea, but as soon as I opened the page it felt like as I was at Geocities back in 1999 or whatever. It's pretty shocking. You need to get a decent design, efficient/secure code and generally get it right from the word go. Right now it's really bad and it's pretty much ruined it for me. First impressions count 'n all.
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which is hopefully what this site would attract. It's aimed at car enthusiasts (ignore the corsa on the front page, it's just a place holder).

I would hope it would attract bike engined go karts to porsche engined camper vans. etc etc etc.

It's the surprising ones I adore, like your truck.

There's only so many LET GSI Corsas you can read before they blend into one another.

Gaz
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 10 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me it wouldn't even matter if it looked like Geocities if the content was good.
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tend to agree, I actually quite like the design, fine the lining up needs fixing, and the logo needs sorting, but I like the simplicity, and it's the content that would make it.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 10 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By that I don't mean the design doesn't matter, I mean the content will make issues with it less critical.

The big question is on whether you can get the content. Out of interest have you a big long list of all the threads from all the other forums which are of interest? Or even a user-base to collect this for you?

[Edited on 14-02-2010 by Ian]
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Feb 10 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love looking at project threads, I like spending a few hours seeing how the car develops and what it's like currently. There's loads on here and loads that get posted on here, I think it's a good idea.
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
For me it wouldn't even matter if it looked like Geocities if the content was good.

But it isn't, and navigating it makes me feel like I'm browsing a test site that someone made as their first PHP website in college or something.

Loginname is luke and Password is lopb8jLPymUKE
Database ones are Luke and lopb8jLPymUKEUser not verified

What kind of encryption is that? If you get the details wrong it tells you what they're supposed to be... WTF?

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare dbconnect() (previously declared in /home/gaz/carproject/includes/config.php:9) in /home/gaz/carproject/includes/config.php on line 8

The includes are annoying too...

Warning: main(error.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gaz/carproject/content.php on line 16

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'error.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /home/gaz/carproject/content.php on line 16

If you do something it doesn't expect it just does nothing, it doesn't tell you what it expects and so on. It's generally really annoying to use.
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 14 in /home/gaz/carproject/viewarticle.php on line 41

Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 14 in /home/gaz/carproject/viewarticle.php on line 42

Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 14 in /home/gaz/carproject/viewarticle.php on line 43

No error catching, nothing... I'm really not trying to pick it to pieces here but if you get large amount of traffic hitting your site every tiny little bit of optimization counts and from running a busy site myself I've kinda learned to make everything as efficient/secure as possible, I bet my fucking right arm that there's SQL injections in every page. Yes it's nerdy and no-one cares but you should as if it gets large and someone is bored it WILL get taken down and everyone's details will be leaked etc...

[Edited on 14-02-2010 by xa0s]
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the point of this thread, I know the software inside out, so I don't tend to do things I don't expect, since I wrote it etc.

And there are a few bits of debugging code, like that password thing, that are remenants from when I was making it all work properly. What did you do to make it not log you in with the correct details?

Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And I know there's no error catching at the moment, but that can come at a later stage, it's a bit further down my list, than trying to make it user friendly enough to use.
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can register with 'luke' AND 'Luke'

Added user with login , Username \'\' and password \'\'

At least you're escaping quotes I guess heh

[Edited on 14-02-2010 by xa0s]
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a mySQL sense those two usernames are still unique, hmm, I could change that.

Fixed the error if you put in a non existant page.php and took out the debug code for the password.

I'll make registering users non-case sensitive now.
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I dunno if it was something I did (never-ending queries) of what but it's down for me now
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gaz keep an eye on your Apache logs as I'm trying tons of shit, I dunno if it works or not without seeing the code :\
antnee

14th Feb 10 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't line up in Chrome with vista either.

Im another one who can spend hours reading build threads. To get you off the ground how about contacting some of the owners of big projects (like ones already mentioned) and ask them to copy across
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the plan, if I can get some good projects on board, others should follow.

And Luke, the less goatse, the better.
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cannot complete photo retrieval by category: Unknown column 'eventType' in 'where clause'
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: blogtypeselect() in /home/gaz/carproject/includes/eventSelect.php on line 10
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that function I haven't worked in yet. It probably won't even exist in the final version.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 10 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gazdaman
In a mySQL sense those two usernames are still unique, hmm, I could change that.
But humans don't think like that, and if they u2u'd ian and someone else read it, that would be a problem.
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very true, I'll sort it.
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Username issue sorted. I'll sort the lining up thing for different browsers now.
Gazdaman

14th Feb 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Template browser issue should be sorted, interested to know if it's still knackered on people's browsers.
Paul_J

14th Feb 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't register, tells me all usernames are taken
Paul_J

14th Feb 10 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
By that I don't mean the design doesn't matter, I mean the content will make issues with it less critical.

The big question is on whether you can get the content. Out of interest have you a big long list of all the threads from all the other forums which are of interest? Or even a user-base to collect this for you?

[Edited on 14-02-2010 by Ian]

It's true, without content you don't have users... without users you don't have content....

What happens is you get a few people, but they all slow down their use and it dies out fast.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A website specifically for people to post projects? 22 database queries in 0.0161431 seconds