corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Student Loan Repayment Calculator

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Student Loan Repayment Calculator
Carl

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fully agree about there being too many mickey mouse courses AND Uni's. I went on one, BUT it's 3 years less of doing the same old same old until retirement, joining the rat race and living for the weekend/Summer if you are like me.
Colin

3rd Mar 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live my life 2 weeks at a time......
deano87

3rd Mar 10 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I live my life 1/4 mile at a time......
noshua

3rd Mar 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:

There are some good points being made - the thing I am most looking forward to within my studies is the placement year - hopefully get a good placement with a 'come back to us once you finish your degree' offer with a nice salary.
Paul_J

3rd Mar 10 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Only one of my mates that went to uni is raking it in, he done chemical engineering & works in Angola finding oil & ways to get to it.

Does he work for a company called 'Sonangol'?

I'm writing some software for them at the mo and they come across super rich, think they do angola oil.
M2RTY

3rd Mar 10 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did 4 years in business and marketing, came out on good pay in my first year in an IT management job, moved on throughout IT even though i have little interest in it lol

uni improved my thinking, leadership and people skills, i had a fucking awsome time too and made friends in every citiy across the uk and several countries round the world

think i pay 130 back or so a month
saj_123

3rd Mar 10 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:

There are some good points being made - the thing I am most looking forward to within my studies is the placement year - hopefully get a good placement with a 'come back to us once you finish your degree' offer with a nice salary.

Same here, I am doing a 4 year law degree with a placement in the 3rd, everyone says that the first is easy and go and party, I partially agree with that. It is all about what course you do and the course length. I need a good 1st year result to get a decent placement and not end up in a crap placement which will be a waste of time. So the first year for me is very important.
Munchie

3rd Mar 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can u find out how much is remaining online?
LukeD

3rd Mar 10 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

echo what ssj_kakarot said pretty much.

I went. Regret going now. pointless. Just 5years back it was always drilled into our head by teachers/colleges that the academic people went to college then uni and made it in life and the ones that wernt academicaly minded left school and did an apprentiship.

Now most of my mates and me have left uni- all in crap jobs and most with a faint future in that area of study. and i regret it big time - wish ild of gone into an apprentiship but seriously looking into it now.
saj_123

3rd Mar 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
how long will you be on 15k a year though?

bloke in work is on 34k a year basic and pays back a shit load every week. he didn't even complete his degree as he failed the last year.

that'd kill me.

thing is, people who haven't gone to uni... (Correction) [and] People who didn't live away from home while at uni, don't know what it's like... it's a shambles... Everyone gets these loans, treats it like free money, buys nice clothes and gets pissed So so so so dumb. Then they miss their lectures (which has cost them a lot) because they're so hungover!

uni is overrated... it's only worth it for the piece of paper which 'may' get you're foot in the door into a job... that's only if you do a worth while degree.

In the short term people don't care about the loan... its only when you finish you think 'how the fuck am i gonna clear this? oh well, won't bother'...

but then the more money you earn the more it robs you of it!

Agree with you there, I have seen people piss money right up the wall on stupid things, lectures do cost alot mine cost £50 an hour. It depend's on what type of person you are, around 70 people from my course have dropped out so far, started with 200 and now left with approximately 130-140. I know some people who have been in 4 times since September, and then again some people go out every night and still complete the work and make it in the next morning.

[Edited on 03-03-2010 by saj_123]
CorsAsh

3rd Mar 10 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What will you be doing for 50k job?

I pay I think £113 ish a month at the mo.
Lucky badger, I get raped by the SLC for being abroad I'm sure
Hammer

3rd Mar 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's more to life than money, folk get so wrapped up in pounds and pence they stress themselves to the point life is one big bank balance juggling act.
antnee

3rd Mar 10 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As with most things in life, you get back what you put in! There is always jobs around if you want them!

Im starting Coventry Uni in September doing Motorsport Engineering (BEng), and I can't wait. I've been passionate about cars and motorsport since I was about 4 years old and this is the most logical step for me to get into motorsport as the driving side opportunity was closed when my dad said he couldn't afford for me to start karting when I was young
CorsAsh

4th Mar 10 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck at Coventry. I hope the tutors on that course are more helpful than the ones I had!
antnee

4th Mar 10 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Good luck at Coventry. I hope the tutors on that course are more helpful than the ones I had!

They seemed good on the open day, lots better than huddersfield anyway They are getting a £60mil new engineering building for Jan 2012 too
ssj_kakarot

4th Mar 10 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats another thing seriously it costs so much for a lecture but why?

i go to a lecture, someone acts slightly interested speeds through a power point presentation for 40 mins and then runs out the door, no one really seems to care and they all have second jobs on the go aswell.

dont think i have learned one thing in the years i have been at uni and college other than how to pass the exams they have set me.
Paul_J

4th Mar 10 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
What will you be doing for 50k job?

I pay I think £113 ish a month at the mo.
Lucky badger, I get raped by the SLC for being abroad I'm sure

Probably the exchange rate to be honest...

When you got the job it was around 1.4 euros to a pound.

these days it's more like 1.-1.1 euro to a pound.

as such, if you got a job at the time that was in euro roughly similarly paid in the uk in £ when it was 1.4... then now it's 1.1 you'll find the same salary in euro's will go far further in uk against the pounds... hence SLC is raping you.
CorsAsh

4th Mar 10 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, that's probably right. Still. gets paid off sooner I guess.
Graham88

4th Mar 10 at 02:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as what Ben said tbh, I've got mates who have not long gone to Uni (late starters) and they'll be 23-24 before they finish the degree and be £15k or whatever in debt. In that time on my basic wage I'll have earnt £120k plus won't be in 15k debt so I'm already £135k ahead of them in what I've earnt so I struggle to see how they're going to get 'that' good a job that makes it worth going to Uni...

And not to mention the promotion prospects I might have at my feet by the time I'm 23 or 24 aswell, meaning I'll be on more money..

[Edited on 04-03-2010 by Graham88]
Andrew

4th Mar 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worried :doyle:
daymoon
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go to uni yet i have no student loan :S

Having a job and living at home is awesome
RichR
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wrote my own student loan calculator - I write spreadsheets for everything and as it stands at the moment I'm paying £168.75 per month off and should complete payig it by the time I'm 32 which is 6 years time. Original loan amount was £12k but I've been paying it off for nearly 4 years now
RichR
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Same as what Ben said tbh, I've got mates who have not long gone to Uni (late starters) and they'll be 23-24 before they finish the degree and be £15k or whatever in debt. In that time on my basic wage I'll have earnt £120k plus won't be in 15k debt so I'm already £135k ahead of them in what I've earnt so I struggle to see how they're going to get 'that' good a job that makes it worth going to Uni...

And not to mention the promotion prospects I might have at my feet by the time I'm 23 or 24 aswell, meaning I'll be on more money..

[Edited on 04-03-2010 by Graham88]

I couldn't do what I do now without the degree I got, however, when I was at Uni I worked ridiculous hours over every holiday across 3 jobs; I had £12k of student loans but when I finished uni I had £6k in the bank which went on the deposit for my house. The interest on the student loan being significantly cheaper than the interest on a mortgage amount
pow
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really sorry to pick on your Paul but this is the problem "I'd rather pay fuck all and let it default".

We wonder why the country is in a mess? Half of me wondered in a few years time shoudl I just fuck it all off and go to uni for a year to enjoy the life.
Paul_J

4th Mar 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'm really sorry to pick on your Paul but this is the problem "I'd rather pay fuck all and let it default".

We wonder why the country is in a mess? Half of me wondered in a few years time shoudl I just fuck it all off and go to uni for a year to enjoy the life.

But that's the thing, who wouldn't prefer to pay nothing back... the difference is, I have no choice to pay mine back at least the minimum amount, which will be substaintial for me until my loan is paid off in full...

However, you think about the thousands / millions of people with degrees not worth wiping their arse on. They come out of uni and don't get a job that even pays over the threshold to pay any back at all...

THEY WILL ALL DEFAULT THE LOAN eventually (Think its like 20-25 years?) - or just go bank rupt and default it early...

Watch this space, this is going to be yet another 'england is fucked' situation in a few years when the loan company can't get the money back from all the students and people keep defaulting on loans. :doyle:

... I think Graham88 / Ben G are clear examples are the 'right way'... e.g. no uni ... good job... no debt ... money saved.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Student Loan Repayment Calculator 22 database queries in 0.0543721 seconds