corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
so if they dont constantly check it while polishing what is the point? Also what i would like to know is about the depth they work to. It will have to be the thinest point in the paint to make it all even. Now surely this leaves less left to work with if at a later date damage or scratches appear? Would this mean that cars done to paint depths are more likely to need paintwork? Which in turn would need polished to matched depth again?

Maybe we should all chip in to have a car resprayed but have about 15 coats of primer but with minimal coats of base and clear coat.. Then take it to have it 'paint corrected' if it comes back with white patches the machines are useless
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i can see how it would help with solid colours that dont have a clear coat on them, but not sure how it helps protect paint with several layers of paint and clearcoat

Even solid colours have primer and anti-corossion treatment though.. And ALL modern cars (since the mid/late 90's) have clear coat due to the EU VOC regs.

My 2008 car doesn't have a clear coat.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure about that?

The only solvent based paints manufacturers use are clear coats and even those have to be high solid based.
mwg

23rd Mar 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

join detailing world and ask them
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

That would be like joining a anorexics forum and asking them all if they think they are fat!
chr15barn3s

23rd Mar 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The high end paint guages show each layer seperately. Fuck knows how but they do. The cheap ones just give one reading.
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You sure about that?

The only solvent based paints manufacturers use are clear coats and even those have to be high solid based.

100%, I've just ordered some Zaino Z-3 for cars without a clear coat to give it the look of having a clear coat.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
You sure about that?

100%, I've just ordered some Zaino Z-3 for cars without a clear coat to give it the look of having a clear coat.

Dont you drive an Astra VXR? They definitely have Clear coat.
DaveyLC

quote:
Originally posted by chr15barn3s
The high end paint guages show each layer seperately. Fuck knows how but they do. The cheap ones just give one reading.

Link?
jibjob

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

That would be like joining a anorexics forum and asking them all if they think they are fat!

But if you wanted an answer from an expert on that subject you would ask them. Its like needing legal advice and asking the chef in your local pub- they'll give you an answer but chances are its not right. They arent suddenly going to make you get your car machine polished so whats the problem with asking someone that actually knows?

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by jibjob]
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even if it can distinguish between layers. Surely the whole car is going to be thin on paint etc so further polishing is useless? Or is that not true?
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
You sure about that?

A white one, it really doesn't have a clear coat.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
You sure about that?

A white one, it really doesn't have a clear coat.

I'll bet you a million quid it does!
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

But if you wanted an answer from an expert on that subject you would ask them. Its like needing legal advice and asking the chef in your local pub- they'll give you an answer but chances are its not right. They arent suddenly going to make you get your car machine polished so whats the problem with asking someone that actually knows?

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by jibjob]

No because I think they are all living the dream
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey you turd, I'll take that bet.

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16500&highlight=clearcoat+white&page=4

Dougie who confirms on that thread is the VXR Brand manager at Vauxhall who puts together the builds and specs of all the VXRs so take up your argument with him.
mwg

23rd Mar 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

So you dont actually want to find out why detailers take paint depth measurements then? Whats the point in this thread as there's probably no one here thats going to be able to explain
jr

23rd Mar 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey owes ollie a million pounds
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Davey you turd, I'll take that bet.

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16500&highlight=clearcoat+white&page=4

Dougie who confirms on that thread is the VXR Brand manager at Vauxhall who puts together the builds and specs of all the VXRs so take up your argument with him.

Maybe you could ask him how they got around the EU VOC regs too?

I really find it hard to believe they are painting water based with no C/C?? If they are I dread to think how shit they are going to look in 10 years time!

P.S. I still dont believe Dougie!

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by DaveyLC]
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are these rules david? And why do they not apply to ojc car? I dont understand what you are referring to.
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, they will look shit if you don't look after it without the clearcoat.

People who don't look after them are going to have a very off white/yellow VXR 'Burg in a few years time.

You don't believe the VXR brand manager

Great one

vxrmarc has also posted in that thread and although he is a turd, he knows his shit so I wouldn't continue your argument.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Yes, they will look shit if you don't look after it without the clearcoat.

People who don't look after them are going to have a very off white/yellow VXR 'Burg in a few years time.

You don't believe the VXR brand manager

Great one

vxrmarc has also posted in that thread and although he is a turd, he knows his shit so I wouldn't continue your argument.

I do applogise for being a pedantic bastard but its something I really dont WANT to believe

If I bought a car with no clear coat I'd take it back demanding they finish the fucking thing

quote:
what are these rules david? And why do they not apply to ojc car? I dont understand what you are referring to.

Basically some faggots in brussels introduced some more laws to stop pandas from getting cold.

There is only a certain amount of solvents that can be used when painting a car and all of that gets used up in the clear coat

It changes AGAIN this year too

http://www.coatings.org.uk/default.asp?edit_id=465&nav=455&branch=0

Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the real answer to the original question is because the owners of the cars they work on can afford to pay for things they dont understand. I dont see the issuse apart from making paint to thin to polish out scratches at a later date. Its not your money. Dont let it bother you.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the real answer to the original question is because the owners of the cars they work on can afford to pay for things they dont understand. I dont see the issuse apart from making paint to thin to polish out scratches at a later date. Its not your money. Dont let it bother you.

Its the whole industry that bothers me Its all talk.
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was my exact reaction when I realised it didn't have a clearcoat, it's rubbish but you can get products to replicate a clearcoat which I shall be adding when I have a free weekend.
mwg

23rd Mar 10 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go on detailing world and take it up with them FFS They are usually pretty friendly and helpful. They might even give you an answer that you believe.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements? 22 database queries in 0.0149288 seconds