corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » You only become a good driver after a serious crash?

Poll: You only become a good driver after a serious crash?
  Yes
  No
  GTFO!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author You only become a good driver after a serious crash?
John

User status: Offline
6th Apr 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
No, having a crash makes you no better a driver at all.

Apart from the people it does make better drivers.
A2H GO

6th Apr 10 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The majority who have crashed will say they are now better drivers, those who havent will say it wont make them any better(how would they know if they've not had the experience )

I crashed. I AM now a better driver. However this does not necessarly mean i am a better driver than someone who has never crashed as they might be a better driver to begin with.

Think i confused myself with this

[Edited on 06-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
Bart

6th Apr 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twitch
I know alot of people who are really good at driving its been there passion and grown up with it and they all had a major crash

What you mean to say is you've grown up with cocky, over confidant drivers who have all wrote the cars off for driving like a twat?

Driving like a twat, writing your car off and then driving sensibly is one thing, but making you a 'better driver' it does not.
Daimo B

6th Apr 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone tell me how someones driving skill abilities go up after crashing?

Do you magically learn these skills all of a sudden?

No, you just know not to enter that bend so hot next time. That doesn't make you a better more skillfull driver.

If you've stuffed it into a roundabout, how does this improve you braking skills, handling skills, or even observational skills.....??

It doesn't
Whittie

6th Apr 10 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a load of balls
MarkSport

6th Apr 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been driving just over 5 years and never once had a serious crash.I had a little old lady drive into me head on as she forgot where her brake pedal was when coming out of a carpark but thats it.This didn't affect my ncb or anything.

I agree in a way that sometimes a crash can make you a better driver as it will make you more alert but in another sense you should always be alert when driving,if not then you're a danger to the road imo
Toby
Premium Member

6th Apr 10 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had been driving 4 years before i had a crash, a matter of inches turned it from a bit of touch up paint and a write off. Not really sure about the effects it had on me other than i understand the importance of good tyres and to always expect the unexpected no matter how obsecure.
Twitch

6th Apr 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think alot of you missed my point obviously you cant get in a car go spank it into a tree ( like i did ) and bang your a good drive.

I mean more that when/if you have a crash it makes you alot more aware of what your car cant take or might make you more cauious driving etc.
Twitch

6th Apr 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
I know alot of people who are really good at driving its been there passion and grown up with it and they all had a major crash

What you mean to say is you've grown up with cocky, over confidant drivers who have all wrote the cars off for driving like a twat?

Driving like a twat, writing your car off and then driving sensibly is one thing, but making you a 'better driver' it does not.

Nah not atall. My best mate has never wrote off a car in the 4 years he's been driving and my other mate has only crashed when doing a track admitidly when we were younger and just past our test they did go out and handbreak it and stuff thinking they were the bad man but now yeh just have so much road awareness.
Fad

6th Apr 10 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Road experience and maturity make you a better driver nothing else
Neo

6th Apr 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I mean more that when/if you have a crash it makes you alot more aware of what your car cant take or might make you more cauious driving etc.

Yes but not just a crash, experiance more so.

All the first times you do anything you realize and drive to suit conditions more so i.e After the first time you aqua-plane you realize you must drive slower in the rain.

Having a little scare when you're in-experienced helps build up road confidence and respect for what could happen, however those who are sensible and don't drive like a tool will still be just as respectful of the road and possibly a "better" (abides highways code etc) driver.
Twitch

6th Apr 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh see first time i aqua planed i hit a tree so maybe i never really got the chance for the first near miss.
adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do feel that people should have to do more in their driving test.

Maybe a skid pan and learning about RWD too.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Apr 10 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually agree with it. I crashed in a single car accident in the wet and it taught me about driving too fast for the conditions.
sand-eel

6th Apr 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've nearly been driving for 5 years and haven't crashed, just been crashed into...1=someone pulled out at a junction without looking and went into the side of me, 2=some arse reversed into me.
I think I am a good driver yes, also trackdays do improve car control quite a lot too.
sand-eel

6th Apr 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

I think people need to learn about how to control FWDs more TBH, there are more of them and people tend to lift off the throttle when the back end steps out, I actually think RWD is vastly easier to control.
Jake

6th Apr 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt even know what liftoff oversteer was before i crashed. nowadays im far more aware of it and how to control it. So i have learnt from crashing.

Paul likes to waffle on too much about how good a driver she is.

[Edited on 06-04-2010 by jake]
richc

6th Apr 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since i crashed (nearly 3 years after passing my test) i think it has made me less 'daring' so to speak!
adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

I think people need to learn about how to control FWDs more TBH, there are more of them and people tend to lift off the throttle when the back end steps out, I actually think RWD is vastly easier to control.

Yes, I agree. I meant both FWD and RWD.

RWD is easier to control if you know about balance. otherwise it can be dangerous.

People are just taught to drive within the speed limits and watch out for hazards. I think a lesson on advanced car control would save a lot of lives.
BradG

6th Apr 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Title should be changed to:

'Does having a big crash stop you driving like a moron?'

... Yes.

For a certain few yes

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » You only become a good driver after a serious crash? 22 database queries in 0.2642951 seconds