corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » saved up for a new car but now having 2nd thoughts..

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author saved up for a new car but now having 2nd thoughts..
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
7th Apr 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It actually makes financial sense these days to have two cars, one for fun and one for work etc.. That way you keep your fun car in mint condition and the mileage low to optimise its future resale value PLUS you have a second car that costs pittance to run
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I cant see why they dont scrap it & bang it on fuel. Surely the most polluting cars are the ones that do the most miles.

That's the best thing I've heard, ever.

I mean, in one sense, it's shit because we pay enough for fuel as it is, but in another, it's epic because some of us don't do that many miles.

Colin for PM!....Jeremy Clarkson can be chansellor.

Exactly!!

I use about a tank of fuel a month - 60 litres, only covered 5k miles last year. If they scrapped the tax disc & put even 10p a litre on fuel, Id be paying around £70 a year where as now I pay £225.

It would be a lot fairer for me at least!!

Someone who does 30k a year might not think so but then they use the facilities more than I do so shouldnt complain!!
DaveyLC

7th Apr 10 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The whole car tax thing isnt just about the money though it also helps (to some extent) make sure cars are insured and it shows how many cars are on the road etc. etc.

I couldnt really see the government abolishing it in favour of a larger fuel tax.

I personally think the system is fair apart from the fact the new bandings were back-dated which penalises people who might have made a different choice of new car if the tax had been there when they bought their car.
Andrew

7th Apr 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
£400odd a year is a sore one, no matter how you look at it. I'd rather pay £1.50 a litre at the pumps & have no road tax at all!

You wouldn't have said that a few months back when you was doing a shed load of miles.

If i lost my job today, i wouldn't commute again. I'd get something local and get shut of any vehicle. Pisses me off the way we are taxed on everything..
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant see it happening either Davey. Although other contries manage without it & our system is totally unfair if you want to own a powerful enough wet your pants from time to time, regardless of whether you hardley use the damn thing!!

Its just a thoughtless system, thats all!!
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
£400odd a year is a sore one, no matter how you look at it. I'd rather pay £1.50 a litre at the pumps & have no road tax at all!

You wouldn't have said that a few months back when you was doing a shed load of miles.

Not at all Andrew because I didnt drive a 300odd BHP 3.2L car when I was doing the big miles. I had a 100odd bhp 1.9L diesel & got twice the mpg I do now. So it wouldnt have bothered me much at all.

But thanks to the genious in government I paid £105 a year road tax when I was doing 30k a year & now im paying £225 a year when im doing 5k a year. Thats going to save the tree's a lot!!
DaveyLC

7th Apr 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I cant see it happening either Davey. Although other contries manage without it & our system is totally unfair if you want to own a powerful enough wet your pants from time to time, regardless of whether you hardley use the damn thing!!

Its a shame we couldnt have two systems in place because we all know everyone would choose the extra tax on fuel method then fill up jerry cans
Bart

7th Apr 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigboykarlget a 12k loan buy a petrol one spend 2k having it lpg'd

I thought about this, but LPG isnt that common around my way.
Its a good 3-4 miles to my nearest LPG garage, but it might be work ok to be cost effective.

Am I right in thinking you can switch between petrol/LPG at any time, with the flick of a switch?
I really dont know that much about LPG.
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

Its a shame we couldnt have two systems in place because we all know everyone would choose the extra tax on fuel method then fill up jerry cans

Big storage tank sunk into the back garden....buy in bulk!!

Im still up for the 'steal an oil tanker' idea I had a few years ago when it 1st became cool to moan about fuel prices. I really think it wouldnt be too difficult if properly planned!!!!
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offft I wants this -

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C115968/

Would love that tucked away in my garage.
Minty_Fresh

7th Apr 10 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ties into the reason i made this thread, is that im unsure whether to get the car i want because of the prices etc..

would it be wise to buy the car i want now, do bits n bobs to it, then around november time i will be 21 with 4 years no claims, then insure it etc from then?

or would people just wait untill then to actually buy the car?
DaveyLC

7th Apr 10 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Im still up for the 'steal an oil tanker' idea I had a few years ago when it 1st became cool to moan about fuel prices. I really think it wouldnt be too difficult if properly planned!!!!

How would you go about refining a million gallons of crude oil?
Bart

7th Apr 10 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ I think he's talking about petrol tank delivery drivers, i.e esso/bp etc.

They dont usually travel that far, I think Avonmouth is our closes depot for Somerset?
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How would you go about refining a million gallons of crude oil?

That would be a bit more of a challenge.

We would need to conduct a hostile takeover of several oil platforms & then sabotage a pipeline or some sort of tanker to get it on shore & then a storage facility to receive the raw crude & a then build/steal a multitude of production plants to remove, blend, boil, seperate & crack to finally end up with something reembling petrol, then we would have to perform knock testing, flashpoints, cloud points, ron rating, and other necessary prover loops to ensure we dont blow up our expensive sports cars.

Basically were going to need some more men!!

Probably be best to team up with some Nigerian militants to be honest, they have the drive, abundance of crazy people willing to die & the firepower to do the job & dont mind firing RPG's at mobile bombs in order to get what they want!!
Nick-S

7th Apr 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_boy
i think a porsche is the right way to go colin tbf..

that is 1 cool as fuck 964
Bart

7th Apr 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Personally, I would wait.
For one, the car will be depreciating whilst sat on your drive. You might not care, but it would be loosing you money, rather than the other owner.
If you can save £500/£1000 by waiting, then Id wait.

Plus, if you had any major problems in the meantime, you'd have the cash to bail you out.

just my 2 pence.
Rammer

7th Apr 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
You have one life, live it.

I'll drink to this

and me

although saying that i bought a scooby few years back and it was sat on the driveway most the time as i couldnt afford to run it but it still felt good to say i owned a scooby
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mk4_boy...................seriously dont buy a car if you cant get insured on it.

I know I agreed with what OJC said but thats just silly!!
Sam
Premium Member

8th Apr 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I see it, petrol tax and insurance costs are just going to keep on rising.

Unless you have an EastEnders style life where you live, work and hang out in the same street, then you more than likely need a car (we worked out public transport costs MORE than having our own cars!), so you've gotta lump it I'm afraid!
Andrew

8th Apr 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hit it on the nail Sam

But it doesn't help when people have the same attitude as Colin who is out for just himself and clearly doesn't give a shit a bout others.

I don't pay for fuel a i have some comapany wheels but i still think fuel prices are plain stupid... The way the country is run is stupid...
Fad

8th Apr 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
quote:
i think a porsche is the right way to go colin tbf..

that is 1 cool as fuck 964

Tis a 964 RS wont get one for less than 30k now!
scottyp1989

8th Apr 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ties into the reason i made this thread, is that im unsure whether to get the car i want because of the prices etc..

would it be wise to buy the car i want now, do bits n bobs to it, then around november time i will be 21 with 4 years no claims, then insure it etc from then?

if you did buy the car tho and not insure it you wont be getting 4 years no claims as you have not had insurance to not make a claim on so will still only have 3,
jrsteeve

8th Apr 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
come and touch my wood if you like

Ive been having similar thoughts myself, although I dont do a massive amount of miles to worry about it too much.

Im currently saving like mad and hope to take out a 10k loan. I have something like a X5 4.8is in mind (which I think is an amazing 4x4):

The 3.0 diesel do twice as many miles to the gallon (30), but dont look half as nice

[Edited on 07-04-2010 by Bart]

Don't do it! My 3.0 petrol was thirsty enough so unless you're a wealthy banker stick to the diesel or have a serious think. Loved the car but couldn't justify spending so much on petrol all the time
jrsteeve

8th Apr 10 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and the main difference between the diesel and the 4.8 (other than the engine) are the wheels.
Minty_Fresh

8th Apr 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottyp1989
quote:

if you did buy the car tho and not insure it you wont be getting 4 years no claims as you have not had insurance to not make a claim on so will still only have 3,

i have a car at the moment as a run about while i save my money, plan is to keep the saxo for a daily car and have something fun for the weekends etc..

but i wouldnt insure the other car i want untill im 21 + 4 years no claims (which will be in november)

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » saved up for a new car but now having 2nd thoughts.. 22 database queries in 0.0117919 seconds