corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Zola

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Zola
Nath

User status: Offline
11th May 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like Bilic in the Prem.
Cavey

11th May 10 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least we won't be getting McClaren, that was a fear at one point.

Do feel sorry for Zola, but agree with Jr, adimttedly I only watch them on TV, but something wasn't right there, hopefully he'll continue in football somewhere, he seemed and always has seemed a genuinely nice guy.

Bilic would be good.

Hopefully we'll sack that useless shit Jonathon Spector too now
jr

11th May 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed, but i think people get caught up in a great player/nice guy thing

and dont realise "on paper" we should be no worse than the blackburs and brum's of this world, yet there 15 points ahead of us ?
Cavey

11th May 10 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a lot of injuries, and i'm sure the off field goings on didn't help the team at all.

From the few I saw on TV, no-one seemed to have any effort, or morale, and at the end of the day that must be down to the management/coaching staff.

It didn't help that Zola appeared clueless to what was going on with transfers etc... things that were mentioned by the chairmen.

If only Dean Ashton wasn't crippled for life
Rick Draper

11th May 10 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Disgraceful but glad he got the sack and did not resign. Therefor removing more vital funds from the pot and hopefully more chance of seeing them suffer relegation next season.

rick you really are a lonley wind up cunt when not baiting people on here sitting in your mums garage wanking over piles of parts your never fit

Same as you really but you have to do it in lee303's garage and over various project threads all over the internet

O BTW My corsa is almost done now, so therefor i am far closer to having a project on the road than you have ever been in recent history
jr

11th May 10 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
Disgraceful but glad he got the sack and did not resign. Therefor removing more vital funds from the pot and hopefully more chance of seeing them suffer relegation next season.

rick you really are a lonley wind up cunt when not baiting people on here sitting in your mums garage wanking over piles of parts your never fit

Same as you really but you have to do it in lee303's garage and over various project threads all over the internet

O BTW My corsa is almost done now, so therefor i am far closer to having a project on the road than you have ever been in recent history

only taken you failing at 3 builds before however
strick206

11th May 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by strick206
It's a results game, he didn't get them, and he didn't get on with the new owners

Right decision imo

9th in his first season.

Injury plauged second season with behind the scenes going on.

Harsh IMO. The players liked him too.

He was a wonderful footballer and a genuine nice guy. But not good enough.

He has said he didn't want anything to do with signings, which is massively wrong, a manager should be responsible for who comes and goes. Did he sign players like Franco? Who is utter shit and not good enough. I agree with him not having a clue tactically.

IMO he should be a coach, not a manager

Interestingly enough - I've backed Mark Hughes to be next manager at 16/1

[Edited on 11-05-2010 by strick206]
jr

11th May 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

franco was a sucess IMO for a free, few goals, very clever player, mido and mccarthy on the other hand
strick206

11th May 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise he was on a free, cant grumble for nothing i guess

I feel sorry for him but getting a proven manager is the right way to go
jr

11th May 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

) His disastrous first full season in charge
West Ham retained their Premier League status by default, staying up purely because the three teams below them were, unbelievably, even more woeful. The stats speak for themselves - eight wins, 19 defeats, 35 points - but, to add some context, compare with those of the Hammers' last relegation season in 2002-03: 10 wins, 16 defeats and 42 points.

2) His overall career stats
Zola was praised for steering the side he took over from Alan Curbishley to a creditable ninth place finish in 2009, but that season was also blighted by a disastrous run of form that left West Ham flirting with the relegation zone for a large chunk of the season. The proof of this particular pudding can be found in the Italian's overall league record as West Ham boss: played 80, won 23, drawn 21, lost 36, providing a win percentage of just 28.75. This is by far the lowest of any of the Hammers' Premier League managers - even the much maligned Glenn Roeder managed 31.39% (from a comparable 86 games).

3) His choice of formation
Zola is an outspoken advocate of the beautiful game played the beautiful way - for which read Chelsea's potent and fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation - and while his determination to introduce such a style of football at Upton Park chimed with West Ham's own rich history, the Italian's failure to recognise that he lacked the personnel to pull it off almost ended in disaster. Whether borne out of naivety or arrogance, Zola's refusal to put substance before style was one of his major undoings.

4) His motivational abilities
Much was made of Zola's relationship with his playing staff - something their over-zealous public displays of affection when celebrating goals has proved - but the lethargy with which they set about their supposed relegation battle told another story. And, let's be honest here: if you had a boss who was one of the lads and potentially let you get away with murder at the workplace, you'd be quite vocal with your support as well should somebody higher up threaten to replace him with a more disciplined appointment.

5) His inconsistent team selections
Yes, Zola's reign was bedevilled by injury, but some of the decisions he made with the personnel that was available to him were baffling: persistently playing Mark Noble, Jack Collison and Alessandro Diamanti on the wings when none of them were suited to the role; or continually punishing mistakes by central defenders Danny Gabbidon, James Tomkins and Manuel Da Costa with a subsequent benching when a settled back four was needed.

6) His blind allegiance to Jonathan Spector
By far Zola's biggest blind spot involved the Hammers' left-back berth, though. Despite impressive showings by the 19 year-old Swiss international Fabio Daprela on the rare occasions he was allowed out of the stiffs, Zola insisted on picking Jonathan Spector, a competent-at-best reserve right-back whose calamitous errors on his unfavoured side cost the Hammers hatfuls of points.

7) His injury record
At what point does base bad luck verge on something rather less palatable instead? Zola's appointment of fellow Italian Antonio Pintus as fitness coach was heralded as a chance to confine Curbishley's walking wounded era to history. In the event, little changed, and West Ham's season was blighted by a series of - arguably preventable - soft tissue injuries sustained during early stages of games to key players.

8) His transfer record
Given the obfuscation over how much influence Zola actually had on the comings and goings of personnel during both regimes that he served under, it's hard to say how much he was to blame to for the exodus on talent and influx of flops at Upton Park over the past 18 months. However, the manager did go on record after the arrival of Inter Milan loanee Luis Jimenez, stating that he was the type of player he wanted to build a team around. After just 11 disappointing league starts, the Chilean was shipped back to Italy.

9) His affiliation with Chelsea
Of course top-level football appointments should overcome petty rivalries, but the fact that Zola was one of hated London rivals Chelsea's all-time legends rankled from the start. When results were going their way, the critics in the Chicken Run were happy to let this slide; when they weren't it became another stick with which to stir their simmering cauldron of resentment. Zola himself didn't help matters any by publicly expressing his admiration for East End hate figure Frank Lampard and also choosing to go to Stamford Bridge for Chelsea's crunch game with Arsenal in February instead of scouting upcoming West Ham opponents Birmingham and Wolves who were playing at St Andrews that same Sunday afternoon.

10) His relationship with Gold and Sullivan
No matter what your thoughts on West Ham's new owners and they way they go about their business ( and you can read mine here ), it's imperative that the man in the dugout maintains a decent working relationship with them. Zola's appeared to get off on the wrong foot - and then went quickly downhill from there. From the moment David Sullivan - quite rightly - lambasted Zola's side for their woeful performance in the 3-1 home defeat to fellow strugglers Wolves, it was clear that the Italian's days were numbered
Ojc

11th May 10 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pardew? Oh deary me that would be a disaster and I'd like to see him get Soton back up.

I suggest Jim Magilton to get the nod TBH
jr

11th May 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like pardew, and he hasn unfinished business, closest thing we had to lyall IMO
Cavey

11th May 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. 6 is reason enough for him to get sacked
strick206

11th May 10 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spector was one of our kids wasn't he?

Agree playing him at left back is stupid but i thought he was good enough for small clubs
Cavey

11th May 10 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He came from Utd, yeah, he's not been good enough for championship let alone Prem
Limecat
Banned

11th May 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do feel sorry for the guy, only last year he was being talked about for Chelsea!?!

At least they have a decent English spine to work from; Green, Upson, Parker and Cole. The fact that Ashtons career ended through injury was unlucky and at one point it looked like Dyer was going the same way and both of those would be first team players if fit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes appointed, it's about his level; he seems OK at lesser teams but crap at big transfers.
Ben G

11th May 10 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always wanted slaven billic to manage us anyway so hopefully he will.

shame for zola though. nice bloke but unfortunately just couldn't hack it. wasn't fair on him anyway.
Nic Barnes

11th May 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you think west ham will now turn the corner? or will they just carry on straight ahead and end up haivng all sorts of problems after saying that they can turn the corner, but prove to be fakes?
Nath

11th May 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
do you think west ham will now turn the corner? or will they just carry on straight ahead and end up haivng all sorts of problems after saying that they can turn the corner, but prove to be fakes?

Depends if Goldmember and the short bloke start agreeing on stuff.
Cavey

11th May 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probbly finish higher than newcastle next year...
Tommy L

11th May 10 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nic Barnes

11th May 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy L

+1
Ojc

14th May 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got West Ham in a pre season game
jr

14th May 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bring stevem he can be fed to the ICF
Ojc

14th May 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to feed him to the Polish gardener

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Zola 23 database queries in 0.0163782 seconds