corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining the army

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Joining the army
jibjob

User status: Offline
19th Jun 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seth your opinion was fully valid. As i said, you echoed how i felt that i have nothing to lose and its only inwards and upwards.

Im trying to understand peoples opinions from all sides - families and friends, personal and also others.

How do i go about getting a medical done? I think it would be a good idea to get one done before i apply so not to waste my time. Is it just a case of going to the doctors and asking?

After some serious consideration i think im going to atleast get a medical done and look into it more after i get the results. Im going to do as much reseach as i can about REME. Im also going to have a look at other jobs within the same fields as ive seen a lot of jobs i would like to do on the army website that are all around the similar area of technical repair, construction, etc.
Toby
Premium Member

19th Jun 10 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot will do with your barn test results so go in with a few jobs in mind
jibjob

19th Jun 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a go at the online barb test and scored 100% in each of the catagories. The BARB test, maths and english tests. So that shouldnt be too much of a problem.
jibjob

19th Jun 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been looking at:
aircraft tech
armourer
metal smith
military engineer (amphibious)
armoured engineer
bomb disposal
driver
fabricator
fitter general
plant operator/mechanic
recovery mechanic
vehicle mechanic

The bottom 2 would be my first choices though.
Beato

19th Jun 10 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm an Aircraft Tech in the Army. If you can, go for a tech job, its accelerated promotion so the pay is much better. I'm 21 and been in just over 2 and a half years and earning around £26,500. Soon to be promoted again in a few months which means another pay rise . Going out to Keyna soon and Afgan over Xmas so won't have to buy any pressies , but Im looking forward to it.
Pm me if I can help you out in anyway
lostboy
Banned

19th Jun 10 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Beato
I'm an Aircraft Tech in the Army. If you can, go for a tech job, its accelerated promotion so the pay is much better. I'm 21 and been in just over 2 and a half years and earning around £26,500. Soon to be promoted again in a few months which means another pay rise . Going out to Keyna soon and Afgan over Xmas so won't have to buy any pressies , but Im looking forward to it.

What rank are you now mate?
mwg

20th Jun 10 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My cousin was in the army for 13 years but left last year. He was in the SAS for the last few years. Got paid well (40+k), travelled the world but some of his stories are horrific from Iraq & Afghanistan. He left as he got to 30 & every relationship he had would hit the rocks cos he was away all the time. Taken a big pay cut to become a paramedic now & be around his family & hopefully find a nice girl to settle down with!
Beato

20th Jun 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lostboy
quote:
Originally posted by Beato

What rank are you now mate?

I'm a Lance Corporal just now, soon to be a full Corporal
djgritt
Premium Member

20th Jun 10 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Ive been looking at:
aircraft tech
armourer
metal smith
military engineer (amphibious)
armoured engineer
bomb disposal
driver
fabricator
fitter general
plant operator/mechanic
recovery mechanic
vehicle mechanic

The bottom 2 would be my first choices though.

Personally, I'd go for one of the Bold ones

When I was looking at joining up in a mechanical role, I was advised by a few Ex-Service family members that If I join, I should go for a role that would also give me a good chance in Civil life, as it's unlikely that you will be in the Army for the entire time of your working life

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Joining the army 22 database queries in 0.0116560 seconds