corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Empty tank (diesel) question.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Empty tank (diesel) question.....
Graham88

User status: Offline
27th Jun 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Working nights I quite often find myself on the light as most petrol stations are shut. If I hit the A2 and it comes on I've got 15 miles to home and no petrol stations on this certain stretch, it sucks

[Edited on 27-06-2010 by Graham88]
pow
Premium Member

27th Jun 10 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've forgotten before... also, you like to play the man fuel light lottery game!
ed

27th Jun 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you can fuck up and push it too far by leaving it on the light and then going somewhere only to realise the nearest garage is miles away. Never actually run out myself by I have put 47 litres into a 45 litre tank before
8vcorsa

27th Jun 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dads zafira dti 2.0 thing needs to be tryed to start it for ages but if that dont work we just tow it abit and it then comes on
lozarus

27th Jun 10 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly have to crack an injector pipe off if its got air in system.
Phillips_91

28th Jun 10 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
But you can fuck up and push it too far by leaving it on the light and then going somewhere only to realise the nearest garage is miles away. Never actually run out myself by I have put 47 litres into a 45 litre tank before

You can normally get a couple of litres into the filler neck they dont include that in the size of a fuel tank
MatthewR

28th Jun 10 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please note as said in the first post - this was my dad and not me, my car is not a diesel and i am not 52 years old

We just filled her up with Diesel and she started first time, go on the jag lol
DaveyLC

28th Jun 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I ran my Ibiza TDi dry once, just fill it with diesel and keep turning it over. It might run a bit shit for a few seconds and the black smoke is always funny but it should go

You are bloody lucky! Only takes a few seconds for a dry diesel pump to eat its self alive and throw bits of swarf up to the injectors.
RichR
Premium Member

28th Jun 10 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
quote:
Originally posted by MatthewR
quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
How can you let a tank run dry....

basically u dont fill up with petrol and keep driving, quite simple really

You must be bit of an idiot to run out of fuel. I mean its not like there is a gauge on the dashboard or warning lights, is there.

Also, filling up with petrol

I ran out in my corsa once; it was a hot day and the petrol gauge was showing just above 1/4 of a tank. Little did I know that heat had cause the needle to stick and so ran out of fuel unsuspectedly. Its not always a stupid thing that causes it
pow
Premium Member

28th Jun 10 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by pow
I ran my Ibiza TDi dry once, just fill it with diesel and keep turning it over. It might run a bit shit for a few seconds and the black smoke is always funny but it should go

You are bloody lucky! Only takes a few seconds for a dry diesel pump to eat its self alive and throw bits of swarf up to the injectors.

Pffttt it'll be reet
Fro

28th Jun 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon there is at least 10/15 litres left when my needle hits zero as it is an 80 litre tank which i have only been able to brim from the needle at zero with 65/70 litres
pow
Premium Member

28th Jun 10 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this sounds weird but if I fill the mito to the top from empty, I recon I can fit another 2-3 litres in there.. I think the fumestake up some of the space in the tank. If I just top it up for 2/3'rds i seem to use the whole tank, the needle stays at the top for longer!
DaveyLC

28th Jun 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesel can foam up pretty bad because of the detergents in it.
sc0ott

28th Jun 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ran out of petrol 3 times. twice was in the exact same place and the other was on my way home. dual carriageway. that was the start of my 3 streak of bad luck. cost me £170+ to get my car back the next day. then the only time i forgot to take my headunit out the following morning i woke up to find my window bust, brick on the seat and no cd player.
adiohead

28th Jun 10 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran out of petrol in my Leon once.

Was used to getting about 50 extra miles once my old Fiesta light was on.

The Leon only does about 20-30 miles once it beeps. Luckily ran out just as I pulled into a petrol station. Wanted to move the car to the pumps ahead but it wouldn't start.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Empty tank (diesel) question..... 22 database queries in 0.1970949 seconds