corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » putting a kitten to sleep?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author putting a kitten to sleep?
Root

User status: Offline
24th Jul 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
What about the vets bills after the operation? It sounds like you have a sickly animal here, and the bills will most definately mount up, rather than a one off £400, not to mention a lifetime of suffering. If you can't evem afford to eat yourself, surely bringing an animal into that environment is a bit cruel? I do understand you are upset and hurt, and anybody would be iny our situation, but you need to think logically of what's best for him.

He's not sickly, it's a hernia, one-off operation to stich his insides..

Even if they mount up, we can pay them. We always put the cats before us
Root

24th Jul 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
6 weeks is too young for any creature to be put through a major operation that they likleyhood is, he won't even survive. I think you need to sober up a bit and then have a think. You aren't seeing it clearly with a drink in you.

And what if we put him to sleep, but if we had of operated he would have lived to be healthy? what then?
you're clearly being quite rude with that comment there, no offense but I want what's best for him (mostly for him to survive, no matter what vet bills etc)
Root

24th Jul 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sorry, I think tomorrow at 10am, he'll have his injection and fall asleep either:
1- permanently
2- wake up healthy

there's no extra suffering if he doesn't even know, I want to give him the best chance. Against all your advice, he's my kitten and I love him so very much I want to save his life. I love him, I'm sorry.
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i really see your point as we've had 3 dogs put to sleep in the past..

a 13 year old dog - his spleen rupured, we where basicly told he needed to be put down

a 12 year old bitch - tumour in stomach, told they could remove it but it would most likely come back or shes die whilst trying

and a 4 year old male, older relative of the above and exact same situation

the hardest part is making the decision, at the moment your thinking with our heart as you want scrambles to survive, but once its all said and done, in a few weeks when you realise how ill he was, you will know you made the right decision.

if you/vet really think he has a chance then by all means go for it, but dont let the fact you love him so much cause him to suffer
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics of said kitten

if you can afford it and feel it the right thing to do then go for it imo. but remember before you make the decision that your totally broke
ssj_kakarot

24th Jul 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id give it the operation, wouldnt forgive my self if i had it put down
taylorboosh

24th Jul 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also if hes never had the whiskers milk before maybe it just doesnt agree with him? has he been sick since suckling
Shell
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:
6 weeks is too young for any creature to be put through a major operation that they likleyhood is, he won't even survive. I think you need to sober up a bit and then have a think. You aren't seeing it clearly with a drink in you.

And what if we put him to sleep, but if we had of operated he would have lived to be healthy? what then?
you're clearly being quite rude with that comment there, no offense but I want what's best for him (mostly for him to survive, no matter what vet bills etc)

Din't mean to upset you or come across as rude. I simply meant that if you've had a few, it could make you think over emotionally. But as I said, it's understandable to want to give him a chance.
Limecat
Banned

24th Jul 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sorry, I think tomorrow at 10am, he'll have his injection and fall asleep either:
1- permanently
2- wake up healthy

there's no extra suffering if he doesn't even know, I want to give him the best chance. Against all your advice, he's my kitten and I love him so very much I want to save his life. I love him, I'm sorry.

Fair plays. Off the 3 options listed it was either, put to sleep or operate, especially off the potentially rotting guts. It would be worth asking another vet though.

One of my 2 previous cats was put down, one was older than I was, I paid for his teeth to be pulled out when they effectively rotted away and he went his own way to die as he was very, very old for a cat. The other one I took around various vets but there was nothing they could do. Holding her and feeling her go limp after the injection made me cry like a bitch (just thinking about it has me welling up TBH) and I am the most emotionally retard person you can come across. They both used to kip either on or in my bed. Like furry water bottles. They both got the nack of lifting the covers with their heads and snuggling up. One is buried at the end of the old Queens garden, funnily enough, it is the only area of that part of the garden that anything will grow in!?!

I haven't had a cat for almost a decade now, as I felt it would have been selfish on my part to try to replace them. I will get another when I am ready.

EDIT:
quote:

You would never know. You can't conduct life off what may or may not happen and speculate.

[Edited on 24-07-2010 by LETGSI16V]
Root

24th Jul 10 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
i really see your point as we've had 3 dogs put to sleep in the past..

a 13 year old dog - his spleen rupured, we where basicly told he needed to be put down

a 12 year old bitch - tumour in stomach, told they could remove it but it would most likely come back or shes die whilst trying

and a 4 year old male, older relative of the above and exact same situation

the hardest part is making the decision, at the moment your thinking with our heart as you want scrambles to survive, but once its all said and done, in a few weeks when you realise how ill he was, you will know you made the right decision.

if you/vet really think he has a chance then by all means go for it, but dont let the fact you love him so much cause him to suffer

I really appreciate your opinion, thanks for calling him by his name. It means a lot.
If I beleive he's suffering...even though I love him very very much, I will do what's best for him. End of the day that's all we want to do. He's been sick again...we think we will take him to be operated on tomorrow at 10am. End of the day, he goes to sleep, he dies, or he goes to sleep and wakes up...one way he has a chance. A chance, no matter how small it is, is better than no chance
DC90

25th Jul 10 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd take the chance. Money comes and goes.
LukeS

25th Jul 10 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we had to spend about £600 on our £30 cat so it didnt have to be put down, and its fucking irritating most time of the day
Hammer

25th Jul 10 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give the wee fucker every chance. I hate cats but I love a fighter, if he is strong enough to survive then he will and you'll feel a million dollars giving him the chance.
Jonny.N

25th Jul 10 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi, i have a kitten aswell 8 weeks today and yeah its an annoying little shit, but if i was in your situation, i would do the same, a chance is still a chance, its only money at the end of the day, it comes and goes, but a loving little shit as they are dont come by very often, i do hope you put scrambles through his operation, if the worst does happen, then at least you know in yourself that youve done alll you could to help him, let us all know how he gets on, all the best mate
Root

25th Jul 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks guys.

Slept downstairs with him tonight, he was sick a minute ago which woke me up, but on the plus side, his hernia has reduced in size and it no longer hurts him when I touch it (hopefully a good sign).

Going to take him to vets today and he'll have an operation we think
Cosmo

25th Jul 10 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mean to sound harsh - but if you regularly have to borrow money to feed yourselves, why did you buy a pet?

IMO you're in no position to fund the healthcare needed both for th operation and the aftercare.

[Edited on 25-07-2010 by Cosmo]
Root

25th Jul 10 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
I don't mean to sound harsh - but if you regularly have to borrow money to feed yourselves, why did you buy a pet?

IMO you're in no position to fund the healthcare needed both for th operation and the aftercare.

We have enough to buy food but we're not fantastic with money, we spend it on bills instead by accident, that's all

Always get at least a month's cat food at the end of the month
strick206

25th Jul 10 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally if you say he's slightly better this morning i'd give him a few hours today to see how he progresses

If he seems ok today wait until tomorrow, if you really dont want to put him to sleep without trying just pay the £400 and see how it goes

A slight chance is better than no chance imo

Hope it makes a recovery for you

Try and budget your income better also, i notice you've just said you're not great with money. Will help if needed
N3CRO

25th Jul 10 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
If its going to cause him pain, I would put him down.

I highly agree with this. Its not fair to the kitty leaving it in pain.
Root

25th Jul 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TheNobleOne
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
If its going to cause him pain, I would put him down.

I highly agree with this. Its not fair to the kitty leaving it in pain.

it's not in pain, else it would show signs of pain. The vet would not have let me take him home if she thought he was in pain.

I only want what's best for him and if he is in pain, we'll have to see
Shell
Premium Member

25th Jul 10 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've clearly made your mind up before you even asked for advice and you're just getting upset when anyone says to have scrambles put to sleep, so maybe its best to delete the thread. Do what you feel you have to.
taylorboosh

25th Jul 10 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

We have enough to buy food but we're not fantastic with money, we spend it on bills instead by accident, that's all

you spend money on bills by accident

how did it go then, he had the op?
Root

25th Jul 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:
quote:

you spend money on bills by accident

how did it go then, he had the op?

he was really strong and fighting this morning, he even ate some food but now he's meowing in pain, we're taking him in, dunno what to do atm
taylorboosh

25th Jul 10 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sound like you already know what you HAVE to do to make yourself ok with the situation
taylorboosh

25th Jul 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

root i thought you never worked? cant the rspa do the op or if it comes to it put him to sleep for free

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » putting a kitten to sleep? 22 database queries in 0.0130050 seconds