corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Start new job at Ford tomorrow as apprentice :)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Start new job at Ford tomorrow as apprentice :)
SnK

User status: Offline
23rd Aug 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Times i did tell myself that. But that just made me depressed, at 18 year old, i don't think i should have to deal with being depressed and acting like every other sorry as bastard that works their ass off to amount to nothing. I'm not a person that tollerates shit, in which i told these guys and my boss but nothing mounted to it. They all just took a negative attitude towards me for anything. So i did what i thought was right, left, for my interest and theirs, if i was such a 'shit cunt'.

Another point of why i thought it can't just be me, i've got nothing but decent grades and fantastic references from all my jobs + schools. I've got more certificates and achievements then any other 18 year old i know. Seriously. I've never had a trouble getting a job, never been turned down for one. And i've been working since the age of 15, and that was a kitchen porter(chefs slave) so i know what banter is..

[Edited on 23-08-2010 by SnK]
Norcy91

23rd Aug 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm about to go out handing CV's around trying to get my apprenticeship sorted! Got a place at college but haven't found a job yet, tried at BMW but didn't hear back from them after the first stage of meeting their criteria haha
Bart

23rd Aug 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Is that not just workplace banter Expected if your an apprentice surely ?

Indeed.
As an apprentice you should expect the following;

*making cups of tea/coffee for everyone
*being sent out to ask for long waits, tartan paint, sky hooks, left handed tools etc
*doing the local cafe run at lunch time
*be given some derogrity name that you hate

As an apprecitice, you should have by now worked out that the apprentices are on a 2-3 year cycle, so whilst you might be the current bitch, in a couple of years time, you will be getting your tea made by the next bitch and it'll be you sending him off for a replacement bubble for your spirit level.

Its the way the world goes round im afraid
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
I'm about to go out handing CV's around trying to get my apprenticeship sorted! Got a place at college but haven't found a job yet, tried at BMW but didn't hear back from them after the first stage of meeting their criteria haha

I went handing around CV's to every company i could think of. Non of them responded to my C.V. Go online to the FORD website. Sign up do their little tests and you'll be logged on the system. I'd also recommend going to Skillnet and giving them a ring, or going to Remit.com/co.uk and signing up with them. Their another company set-up for finding apprenticeship in the motor trade. Real good company!
And most of all, just keep trying, ringing round companies get your name out their.

Fortunately for me, i have a friend who works at the ford i do as a second year apprentice and he spoke to his service manager and handed my C.V in for me which got me the interview. Then i did the rest from there.
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Is that not just workplace banter Expected if your an apprentice surely ?

Indeed.
As an apprentice you should expect the following;

*making cups of tea/coffee for everyone
*being sent out to ask for long waits, tartan paint, sky hooks, left handed tools etc
*doing the local cafe run at lunch time
*be given some derogrity name that you hate

As an apprecitice, you should have by now worked out that the apprentices are on a 2-3 year cycle, so whilst you might be the current bitch, in a couple of years time, you will be getting your tea made by the next bitch and it'll be you sending him off for a replacement bubble for your spirit level.

Its the way the world goes round im afraid

I fully understand and expect that, believe me. What i'm trying to say is this was more than that. As said without you being their you won't understand and i don't expect you to. But i left for a reason, i'm not work shy nor have ever been so depressed with myself.
Norcy91

23rd Aug 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
quote:

I went handing around CV's to every company i could think of. Non of them responded to my C.V. Go online to the FORD website. Sign up do their little tests and you'll be logged on the system. I'd also recommend going to Skillnet and giving them a ring, or going to Remit.com/co.uk and signing up with them. Their another company set-up for finding apprenticeship in the motor trade. Real good company!
And most of all, just keep trying, ringing round companies get your name out their.

Fortunately for me, i have a friend who works at the ford i do as a second year apprentice and he spoke to his service manager and handed my C.V in for me which got me the interview. Then i did the rest from there.

Ahh cheers bud, i'll check them out later on as well then! Do you have to go out to one of their academy sort of places for training instead of college once a week?
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Aug 10 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a difference between banter and blatent verbal abuse. I can see where SnK is coming from as I've worked for people like that when I first left school - I told them to shove their job and I got a job for another company earning double the money I was on (and I actually got treated with respect).
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SnK
quote:

Ahh cheers bud, i'll check them out later on as well then! Do you have to go out to one of their academy sort of places for training instead of college once a week?

Good stuff! Remit are a cracking company must say, 1 month of being signed on, completely forgot about it, they sent me a e-mail and said we've found you a placement, if your still interested e-mail your C.V to the address given, so i did and the woman rang me and told me i had a interview, i was so please!

But yes, with Ford on certain dates 4 times a year, you go to a college, i'll be off to blackpool college, you stay over night and go to the college for 5 days, come home for weekend then go back the following week for 5 days then your home for about 2-3 months then back to college again, but to be honest i'm really looking forward to the college too! I find book work easy. Especially if it's something you enjoy
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
There is a difference between banter and blatent verbal abuse. I can see where SnK is coming from as I've worked for people like that when I first left school - I told them to shove their job and I got a job for another company earning double the money I was on (and I actually got treated with respect).

That's exactly the kind of reply i was hoping someone would give! Glad to see someone took the same route i did and it worked out well for you
Cheers Sam! Much appreciated.
ShEp

23rd Aug 10 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately whilst ford may be very good to work for the paper side is shit, remit apprenriceships leave a lot of stuff out.

I did mine with vauxhall to a very high standard, i can now look through all my material whenever i want.

I have 16 ring binders full of work. And one large presentation folder with all my certs and achievments.

Expect some flak in the workshop, Don't make any enimies and just get on with it.

The most rewarding times are doing your first big job (headgasket/gearbox)
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
Unfortunately whilst ford may be very good to work for the paper side is shit, remit apprenriceships leave a lot of stuff out.

I did mine with vauxhall to a very high standard, i can now look through all my material whenever i want.

I have 16 ring binders full of work. And one large presentation folder with all my certs and achievments.

Expect some flak in the workshop, Don't make any enimies and just get on with it.

The most rewarding times are doing your first big job (headgasket/gearbox)

Couldn't agree more mate.
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Aug 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
That's exactly the kind of reply i was hoping someone would give! Glad to see someone took the same route i did and it worked out well for you
Cheers Sam! Much appreciated.

No worries mate, good luck with your apprenticeship. Hope it goes well for you!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Aug 10 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
and penis

and you had the cheek to call me a bell end?
adiohead

23rd Aug 10 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
and penis

and you had the cheek to call me a bell end?

Proof?
CORSA NUT

23rd Aug 10 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done mate

Wish i'd have done this all those years ago trying to do it again now but the Electrical industry is on it's arse atm so i'm now jobless.
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Well done mate

Wish i'd have done this all those years ago trying to do it again now but the Electrical industry is on it's arse atm so i'm now jobless.

Thank-you

Ahh man, i don't think anywhere is thriving even during the interview my service manager was saying, were not manic busy but were steady and were still making profit, which in business is all you want. So i know atleast i won't be sat on my thumb all day. Which is what i was doing at the other garage as somedays there was just no work..
CORSA NUT

23rd Aug 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I worked at a big dealership for a little while mate and it was great. Was very envious of the Techs as they had a good laugh and worked on all sorts of cars

Best advice i could give is to work your arse off. It will pay off big time as it's all individual performance based so the best can excell
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh i couldn't agree more mate, when i'm in my element i work really well, not just being big-headed their either.
So i'm hoping seen as i know some bits and pieces about cars, aswell as having my own tools etc i will fit in straight away and show them i'm more than the average apprentice.
CORSA NUT

23rd Aug 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Juast wait till the Snap On van comes to town some of the lads had like 15K's worth of chests alone

Toooooooooooooools
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Juast wait till the Snap On van comes to town some of the lads had like 15K's worth of chests alone

Toooooooooooooools

Haha i've already got some snap-on bits and pieces Got an account with them. Still owe £200 on finance ha.
CORSA NUT

23rd Aug 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's worth it though mate it will be your lively hood
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed haha. I use them all the time both at home and at work so. I mainly buy second hand snap on tools off the snap on van. Got 2 snap on ratchets and a extension set for £30, couldn't turn that down!
Root

23rd Aug 10 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ignore the people who cannot relate. Work banter is fine and everyone tolerates it, for the money. But glad to see you've got given a better position now. congrats, hope you enjoy
chrisritch

23rd Aug 10 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play. i was pretty much forced out of a job because of constant abuse and basically bullying. made me feel like complete shit. ended up just walking out after asking the boss 3 times to do something about it. got my job where i am now and never looked back.

well done mate.
SnK

23rd Aug 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems that a few people have some form of problems i did. Thanks for the comments everyone!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Start new job at Ford tomorrow as apprentice :) 22 database queries in 0.0275989 seconds