corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anybody own a Premium Rate Phone or Text Line?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anybody own a Premium Rate Phone or Text Line?
Whittie

User status: Offline
11th Oct 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Spelling mistake on http://www.wanttobefamous.tv/how_it_works.htm

"Jo Peters Managment"

Epic, Thanks mate, will change it when I get home.

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Mate, its an absolute nightmare.

I had 140 things to adjust on the website on the first report from them.

They took 6 weeks to come back, then they wanted wording changing.

Another 6 weeks passed, then they wanted written confirmation of the Agent.

Another 6 weeks passed, then I had to take things off the site Regarding youtube copyrights, had to make T'c &C's fucking massive, and had to change costing thanks to a new law that came in a few weeks ago.

Did you have to pay the £300+VAT for that to payplus too?

No, i've only physically outlayed £80 to get it online, to my phone host, so i'm guessing if you've seen that somewhere then my phone host has sorted it out, i'm sure he has a running relationship with them.

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by Whittie]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Oct 10 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone numbers could go in a table, fields for the number itself and whether it's active or inactive (preferably to removing rows as you ideally want to keep a log of previous activity)

Then a table of the announcements, auto increment primary key on that, field for the announcement text

Then a junction table which you write to as the messages are sent which has phone number id, message id and the date time stamp.

You can query the junction table to check the weekly frequencies are correct. If it's programmed properly you would do that before each text message and forbid anything going out if you already have two rows in the junction table for that number in that week.
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Look for a Bulk SMS provider, most of them offer subscription based services where they usually have a web app that deals with subscribing users and then allows you to push out bulk messages.

But it sounds like you're tied into to your current provider. I'm guessing your provider doesn't offer any form of subscription service and instead you have a web app that just lists messages from users? Do you have limits on the number of SMS's you can send with your provider?
Does your provider offer a developers API (usually a HTTP based API)? The API's tend to be fairly straight forward (from past experience doing web based SMS apps) , so you could probably develop something yourself.
Alternatively if your provider offers SMS to Email/Email to SMS then there are number of Outlook add-ons that deal with SMS, so it's then just a case of grouping subscribers and bulk sending that way.
Potentially you could also latch onto this SMS-Email service and develop something yourself around it if you don't have an API.

Yeah, the only thing is, as you've said i'm now tied into my current provider.

It just goes through "telecom stats" .co.uk - Portal I login to: http://teleproject.telecomstats.co.uk/

Regarding Outlook: I've got addons to send text to them for free, promotions etc. But I can't send chargable texts out to them, would love to have a full system that just works, even automated.

So every Wed & Fri it sends a chargable text out to the subscriber.

Will try and figure out some kind of way, even If I end up paying a developer to do it... Would probably be worth it in the end.
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Phone numbers could go in a table, fields for the number itself and whether it's active or inactive (preferably to removing rows as you ideally want to keep a log of previous activity)

Then a table of the announcements, auto increment primary key on that, field for the announcement text

Then a junction table which you write to as the messages are sent which has phone number id, message id and the date time stamp.

You can query the junction table to check the weekly frequencies are correct. If it's programmed properly you would do that before each text message and forbid anything going out if you already have two rows in the junction table for that number in that week.

Just tried to ring you, but you didn't answer you horrible man!

If you could give me a hand, I would be very greatful. I don't fully understand what you've written if i'm honest, but even if its not an automated system... I could have two columns for sent texts / unsent texts if that makes sense?

I can download the number database into CSV format at any time... So if I did it daily I could keep a tab on It I guess. Not the most ideal situation to be in, once it actually gets busier though!
Dom

11th Oct 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Look for a Bulk SMS provider, most of them offer subscription based services where they usually have a web app that deals with subscribing users and then allows you to push out bulk messages.

But it sounds like you're tied into to your current provider. I'm guessing your provider doesn't offer any form of subscription service and instead you have a web app that just lists messages from users? Do you have limits on the number of SMS's you can send with your provider?
Does your provider offer a developers API (usually a HTTP based API)? The API's tend to be fairly straight forward (from past experience doing web based SMS apps) , so you could probably develop something yourself.
Alternatively if your provider offers SMS to Email/Email to SMS then there are number of Outlook add-ons that deal with SMS, so it's then just a case of grouping subscribers and bulk sending that way.
Potentially you could also latch onto this SMS-Email service and develop something yourself around it if you don't have an API.

It just goes through "telecom stats" .co.uk - Portal I login to: http://teleproject.telecomstats.co.uk/

Regarding Outlook: I've got addons to send text to them for free, promotions etc. But I can't send chargable texts out to them, would love to have a full system that just works, even automated.

Will try and figure out some kind of way, even If I end up paying a developer to do it... Would probably be worth it in the end.

So you don't have access to an API or SMS-Email service from your provider? Guessing the only way to send messages is via your web portal?
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

So you don't have access to an API or SMS-Email service from your provider? Guessing the only way to send messages is via your web portal?

Correct, the only physical way I can send Premium Messages is through the Web Portal... I can send them a Free to recieve text via my outlook, which I shall be using for competitions, like win an iPad etc etc.

I can't see a way around it now
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 10 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone is in the other room on charge, sorry.

You want an import routine that just adds new numbers and removes old numbers from your proper list, based on your imported CSV data.

You would probably run this just before the texts are due out.

You then have another list which is all your messages

1 - First message
2 - Second message
3 - Third message

Then you can match up in another list the messages to the phone numbers

07123 123456 - 1
07456 456789 - 1
07789 789123 - 1

That is your junction table.

You get basically a full copy of each set of subscribers and message numbers each time you write a batch to the junction table but you can then query on that to count who has had what.

I don't mind knocking up an Access database or something but it won't do much - if you want it fully integrated you need to spend more time on it than I have, sorry.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 10 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the only physical way I can send Premium Messages is through the Web Portal
One at a time or do you paste in your message in one box and a list of phone numbers in the other?
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Phone is in the other room on charge, sorry.

You want an import routine that just adds new numbers and removes old numbers from your proper list, based on your imported CSV data.

You would probably run this just before the texts are due out.

You then have another list which is all your messages

1 - First message
2 - Second message
3 - Third message

Then you can match up in another list the messages to the phone numbers

07123 123456 - 1
07456 456789 - 1
07789 789123 - 1

That is your junction table.

You get basically a full copy of each set of subscribers and message numbers each time you write a batch to the junction table but you can then query on that to count who has had what.

I don't mind knocking up an Access database or something but it won't do much - if you want it fully integrated you need to spend more time on it than I have, sorry.

No Probs!

If you could just knock something up quickly, it would be a fantastic help mate. Right now i'm going to have to copy and paste the csv to the people who have recieved and who hasnt. It's going to take forever to do properly.

I am yet to send them the second text for the week, they've only recieved their welcome message.

Any help would be appreciated!
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
One at a time or do you paste in your message in one box and a list of phone numbers in the other?

I can send individually too...
Dom

11th Oct 10 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Correct, the only physical way I can send Premium Messages is through the Web Portal... I can send them a Free to recieve text via my outlook, which I shall be using for competitions, like win an iPad etc etc.

I can't see a way around it now

As Ian has pointed out, having access to the CSV is a bonus and means you can keep tracks of numbers yourself in a DB. As for sending, I would automate/spoof the send form of the web portal.

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by Dom]
Dom

11th Oct 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

I can send individually too...

So, you can group send messages to everyone that has subscribed to fame?
That certainly makes things a lot easier, no doubt Ian will sort you out though
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can be sent email alerts of subscribers though: I've just tried it...

Norcy91

11th Oct 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
what is the text service?

Sex text
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

As Ian has pointed out, having access to the CSV is a bonus and means you can keep tracks of numbers yourself in a DB. As for sending, I would automate/spoof the send form of the web portal.

Hmm, I'm crap with Access and Excel, the only two programmes I need knowledge of here!

As to automate / spoof the send form of the web portal... how could I make it do so though, as I would need to upload a csv of what and who to send to?

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

So, you can group send messages to everyone that has subscribed to fame?
That certainly makes things a lot easier, no doubt Ian will sort you out though

Yes, you can send a group message to all subscribers at once, just subscribed on another phone, and they came through at the same time.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 10 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I can be sent email alerts of subscribers though

That's handy, means you can insert in to your phone numbers table when you get the email.

Saves doing a batch import every time you want fresh data.

You need mail software which can do db inserts. Sure they exist. We do it for Prem on here but that was Tim's leet skillz right there, I didn't have much to do with that.

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by Ian]
Whittie

11th Oct 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

That's handy, means you can insert in to your phone numbers table when you get the email.

You need mail software which can do db inserts. Sure they exist. We do it for Prem on here but that was Tim's leet skillz right there, I didn't have much to do with that.

Just need to figure out a way of organizing it though, so nobody gets the same text twice and they get what is stated (2 per week).
Dom

11th Oct 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by Ian]

Pipe the mail to a script (use stdin to get the email) i would have thought. I think most MTA's allow you to do that, although i can't say i've ever done it myself.

Edit - on a cPanel box you also have access to new mail via /home/.mail/(mailbox_name)/new/ which are stored in a file along with the headers.

Edit 2 - if you have cPanel then you can set up a pipe using the 'Forwarders' under email management

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by Dom]
noshua

11th Oct 10 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rather unique idea that, quite like it

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anybody own a Premium Rate Phone or Text Line? 22 database queries in 0.0457971 seconds