corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear wheel bearings - life expectancy?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear wheel bearings - life expectancy?
Jambo

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alan there will be exceptions but every single thing I slumped on with my gf's GSI with pattern parts didn't fit properly or lasted 5mins. I'm sure you had good experiences but the experiences I have had is buy cheap buy twice. As for professional mechanics they will be wanted to make a profit, that will be the reason not because they are better.

I bought my Z3m and the pattern part brake pads he had fitted before I bought it where fucking laughable. Go over bumps they rattled in their holders when brakes applied the clicked and made interesting squeaking noises. Fitted gen BMW parts and it was fine all noises ceased
3CorsaMeal

3rd Nov 10 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fitted a pattern part coilpack to the corrado, and pattern leads, think thats the only non-geniune parts i've used on it, felt dirty but they have been fine for tens of thousands of miles so far
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think pattern parts have there place, certain things will be ok, i dont normally fit pattern on anything that is load bearing though
Jambo

3rd Nov 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would lower arms be ok Steve?
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
alan-g-w

3rd Nov 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough there are some things that you'd use a gen part over 3 party, just a couple of weeks ago I was looking for a lambda for the corsa and wanted to get it from Vaux, £60 compared to the £30 universal part, but I wanted to be sure it was proper. I ended up not able to get the vaux one due to time constraints but the one from the motor factor's doing fine just now. I know what you mean about not using some pattern parts but if you apply common sense it should be fine.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i recently purchased a 3rd party abs sensor, seems quality is similar to the OEM, seems a lottery to what is decent and what is not
alan-g-w

3rd Nov 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye agreed, that's where the common sense comes in.
Fad

3rd Nov 10 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what pattern parts you buy as some offer OE equivelants like brake pads, clutches etc.

I ordered patterned OE rear discs for my Clio and they came in a Renault box......
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same as the ATE aftermarket ABS sensors are what ford use
tom130691
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

originals did 85k
a retard put some shit ones in that lasted 1 day and about ten miles resulting in this

current have done 10k fitted by the RAC at the side of the road when above happend
Jambo

3rd Nov 10 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Non oem lambdas on Clios don't work properly
AshWatson

3rd Nov 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Non oem lambdas on Clios don't work properly

can i ask what makes u say this ?

im assuming you've had a bad expierence with them, and i 100% understand non oem parts often dont fit properly and i am not for one moment saying your lying just wondered what makes u specifcally say,
ive fitted a non oem lambda to a 54 reg clio sport 182 and everything was fine
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted pattern rear bearings back in December 05 when my car had done less than 40k, nearly 5 years and just over 60k on, they're still fine
alan-g-w

3rd Nov 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
originals did 85k
a retard put some shit ones in that lasted 1 day and about ten miles resulting in this

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs096.ash2/38162_10150224721505287_742365286_13578677_4465691_n.jpg[/img

current have done 10k fitted by the RAC at the side of the road when above happend

Unless the bearing was totally fucked in the manufacturing of it that wouldn't happen just with 'shit ones', more likely that said retard tightened them up far too much
Nic Barnes

3rd Nov 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have non genuine rear wheel bearings. i need to change the passenger side one before the weekend as quite a bit of play in wheel. i dont know when they were last changed. this si the first time in 5 years ive done them since owning the car.
SportBoy

3rd Nov 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing wrong with most pattern parts. we have fitted lots of genuine stuff in the past which has fvcked up.

if its a sensor etc id say get genuine.. alltho we have has a few genuine sensors etc be faulty.

as for the pic above it wont be the 'shit part' at fault but it will be the retard who fitted it.

[Edited on 03-11-2010 by SportBoy]
Limecat
Banned

3rd Nov 10 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your bearings aren't lasting it is as already pointed out, they have been fitted wrongly. They are a taper bearing so getting it spot on is crucial.
alan-g-w

3rd Nov 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ignore the Haynes since it tells you to do them up to 50Nm then angle tighten 50degrees, fuck that.

I tighten them up then check for play in the wheel. I eliminate as much play as is possible until you can only just feel a tiny teeny wee bit of play by tightening and loosening the hub nut a bit at a time.
Jambo

3rd Nov 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Ash mine is currently giving me shite mpg it's not a pattern part either it's a Bosch one but the aftermarket ones are different to the Renault Bosch part somehow. Do a search on Cliosport it's been covered alot!
tom130691
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

Unless the bearing was totally fucked in the manufacturing of it that wouldn't happen just with 'shit ones', more likely that said retard tightened them up far too much

as far as i am aware it was more him than the bearing but they were only £5 each
couldnt see much grease in what was left and it looked like he didnt change the tracers
SnK

3rd Nov 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont tighten them to a torque. Thats just to cover haynes or manufacturers arses. Hand tighten them and get a screwdriver, wiggle until you can just move the toothed washer with some force. Then later if required nip up a little more. Thats all you need.
Fro

4th Nov 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had noise similar to bearings but ended up being loud tyres.

Edit: I had to nip the bearings up on my golf the other week as whoever replaced them didnt do them tight enough.

[Edited on 04-11-2010 by fro-dizzle]
harrisp

4th Nov 10 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
originals did 85k

That is bad fitting not bad bearings, both my corsas had pattern wheel bearing one had fronts and rears and I did probably 50k in those cars without a problem.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th Nov 10 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used pattern parts on alot of the cars I've driven, had no problems at all. Brake pads, discs, rear bearing (like the ones I'm currently running on my astra track car) to name a few and I've had 0 issues. Must be down to the installation not the part quality.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear wheel bearings - life expectancy? 22 database queries in 0.0154901 seconds