corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Arguments for and against the licence fee

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arguments for and against the licence fee
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 10 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i much prefer to listen to kiss then r1
dannymccann

4th Nov 10 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
BBC couldn't survive in its current state if it went commercial, not without massive budget cuts across all of its programming and media outputs (TV, Radio, Web and R&D). And it'll affect a lot more than what people think ie - Freeview/Freesat, services like iPlayer (it'll end up like 4OD or DemandFive which is shit), coverage of events and sports, outdoor broadcasting (BBC Live etc), news etc.

Personally I’m all for it but I strongly believe that there needs to be a tighter regulation by the government on the spending at the BBC, particularly with the salaries of senior staff and performers/'stars'.

Agree with Dom
stubs

4th Nov 10 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
think its worth it really, you watch it more than you think! only problem with it is you have to pay for it, you dont have a choice thats my only problem.

Speak for yourself.
My life would be better without the BBC, and knowing that I was saving £100+ each year.
I pay Sky £80/month, I don't watch it as often these days, but I CHOOSE to pay them. I could reduce that amount tomorrow if I chose to.
stubs

4th Nov 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
i have a lot more rage towards sky for paying 40 odd quid a month and having no interest in probablyh 70% of the channels im made to pay for.

Stop paying them then
Russ

4th Nov 10 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Radio 1 is aimed at 15-25 year olds..

what age group pays the least towards the licence fee i wonder.

BBC is shit, MOTD and Top Gear are the only decent things on, apart from 6 episodes of Planet Earth/wonders of the solar system every now and again.
Russ

4th Nov 10 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:
i have a lot more rage towards sky for paying 40 odd quid a month and having no interest in probablyh 70% of the channels im made to pay for.

Stop paying them then
then we wouldn't get sky sports...
stubs

4th Nov 10 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
...And it'll affect a lot more than what people think ie - Freeview/Freesat, services like iPlayer (it'll end up like 4OD or DemandFive which is shit), coverage of events and sports, outdoor broadcasting (BBC Live etc), news etc.

I actually think that BBC iPlayer is shit also. I've yet to find something of interest on there.. the odd times I've wanted to watch something specific after being told about it at work to find it's no longer available.
DaveyLC

4th Nov 10 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the BBC but £145/year is a piss take.

Benefit scroungers dont pay it and their the cunts sat at home watching TV all the time.

[Edited on 04-11-2010 by DaveyLC]
Russ

4th Nov 10 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As John said though, you don't HAVE to have one, they can't prove you watch live tv without checking your equipment, and they cant get into your house without a warrant despite what they say.
DaveyLC

4th Nov 10 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.onebillionpageviews.org/avoid.html

Problem is once they have some solid evidence that you are using your TV to recieve live broad-casts you are fucked.
Fonz
Premium Member

4th Nov 10 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i dont get why those crazy college kids who use their laptops and computers to watch tv and films also still have to have a tv license. bbc iplayer is put on the internet to watch for free. or is that free for people who have a tv license?

i really dont get it.

now this is an interesting point i realized when i read this post.

as an engineer i am often working at a CAD desk for an hour, half a day or sometimes a couple of days. To keep my mind entertained i often flick to iPlayer and listen again to radio shows, comedy programs on R4 and the like.....now my work i can't imagine have a TV licence. yes they have TVs on site but there is a loop hole which says if used in a training role (ie videos and not TV) then no licence is required.

If my employer doesn't not hold a TV licence, am I allowed to listen to the radio on the internet??

(BTW how crazy is it that the licence is called "TV" when i pays for so much more than TV programs on the BBC, including the radio, online media, etc?
Fro

4th Nov 10 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you can listen to the radio without a TV licence.
stubs

4th Nov 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
As John said though, you don't HAVE to have one, they can't prove you watch live tv without checking your equipment, and they cant get into your house without a warrant despite what they say.

I'd already read up on this.. in theory yes you can get away with it, but you would then be constantly pestered by the nosey inspectors. Even people who really don't watch TV are hounded by these scumbags.

Personally, it's not an option for me. My Sky dish is at the front of my house with an Oct-LNB connected up. OK yeah, there's chance it's no longer in use, but more chance that it is. That's all they need to get them excited and they wouldn't leave me alone. Then my TV's straight facing the window, so anyone looking in could see what I'm watching. Not to mention I don't need any heat whilst I'm cardsharing Sky
Russ

4th Nov 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Click on DaveyLC's link, you can stop them getting to your house.
mwg

4th Nov 10 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go medieval on someone if BBC started having adverts. ITV do my head in putting in advert breaks when the football is on instead of doing more match analysis/match build up.

They were awful when they got the F1 too. Don't want the BBC having to end up going the same way. I hate adverts.

[Edited on 04-11-2010 by mwg]
noshua

4th Nov 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Speak for yourself.
My life would be better without the BBC, and knowing that I was saving £100+ each year.
I pay Sky £80/month, I don't watch it as often these days, but I CHOOSE to pay them. I could reduce that amount tomorrow if I chose to.

quote:
Personally, it's not an option for me. My Sky dish is at the front of my house with an Oct-LNB connected up. OK yeah, there's chance it's no longer in use, but more chance that it is. That's all they need to get them excited and they wouldn't leave me alone. Then my TV's straight facing the window, so anyone looking in could see what I'm watching. Not to mention I don't need any heat whilst I'm cardsharing Sky

O RLY
ed

4th Nov 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC is just like everything else funded by the state. It's massive, inefficient and pisses money up the wall with very little to show for it. The quality of a lot of their programming now is very poor, some of the stuff is on par with ITV.
Dr Pepper

4th Nov 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC is the best tv station in the world .... it is envied by every country in the world.

I agree it makes a lot of crap - but thats because it has to reflect public trends under its license agreement - as well as making public service broadcasting it must reflect popular programming on other channels- if they make reality tv and talent shows - so must the bbc

If the bbc went commercial it would be pointless and would lose its real quality programming

Personally I would pay the license fee alone for radio 4, radio 6 music, bbc2 comedy - particularly newsnight which is the only news programme I watch....because its the only one which is imo fair and balanced anywhere in the world.

The bbc is something we should fight to protect - I promise you we would miss it if it was gone- - its something we should be very proud of

Commercial tv will not make certaoin types of programmes - commercial tv must make programmes that appeal to as many people as possible so they can sell adverts - this applies to their news as well - it has to be hyped up or controversial - never mind looking for balance

I would rather have the bbc with some programmes I love, and some i hate but I know other people love them...rather than itv where every programme is designed for as many people to watch as possible with their brains turned off. Commercial tv also will censor and at worst cut certain content if they feel it will embarress or offend their sponsers . ... that is a very dangerous thing to do... that is why bbc comedy and current affairs is at times groundbraking and different class to anything on commercial tv

Itv and commercial tv cater for the lowest possible standard and the biggest possible audience- BBC at times hits standards that no other media company gets anywhere close to ..... planet earth is a good example.

Im not saying the bbc cant be improved - it can, and I dare say it could lose some of its expensive presenters and cut the fee slightly - If we ever got rid of the license fee it would be a very sad day imo

[Edited on 04-11-2010 by Dr Pepper]

Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 10 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf you listen to and watch some boring shit

no wonder you come on here with massive replies to every topic thats in the current news

[Edited on 04-11-2010 by Steve]
Ojc

4th Nov 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC is a load of shit, it's about time it died.
alan-g-w

4th Nov 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who ever listens to Radio 3 late at night sometimes and there's a show where they play random noises? Like someone running up stairs, then bells and other random shit, it's trippy as fuck
Fro

4th Nov 10 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My company gets a portion of the licence fee btw
Dr Pepper

4th Nov 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
wtf you listen to and watch some boring shit

no wonder you come on here with massive replies to every topic thats in the current news

[Edited on 04-11-2010 by Steve]

I admitt it - I like knowing what the fuk is going on in the world .... newsnight isnt boring - its hilarious at times, its one of the only places where politicians get a hard time of it. Compare it to sky news or itv news - where the viewer is intentionally lied to, misled and indoctrinated with a certain view of the world that isnt real. Sky news imo should not be allowed on air - its disgracefull

I dont get why watching something intellligent, or real quality current affairs programmes is seen as boring - one of the things that is wrong with this country is that people would rather appear on the x factor than on radio 4 - kids are encouraged to be dumb nowadays.

lol at radio 4 being boring - some of it is well above me - but their comedy is amazing... most comedy shows, writers stars start off on radio 4 before they get onto tv ...things like peep show, steve coogan ect ect. Everything it does is superb - if it just got rid of the religeon and classical music and replaced that with hip hop I wouldnt need a tv

To be honest I think most stuff on commercial tv is boring and brainless - the nice thing about the BBC is that it caters for me, you and everyone else- it provides apublic service that none of the other stations do. Dont get me wrong - very often all I want to watch is brainless shit on commercail tv because I dont want to have to think.... but its nice to knowthe bbc is still there if you do actually want to engage with a programme more than getting a semi on

I watch and enjoy plenty of shit tv on commercial stations .... but none of it really compares in terms of quality to the best stuff on the BBC ... I dont really see how anyone thinks we would be better off without the BBC looking at what is on all the other channels - its ok if you just want to relax and watch some shit with pretty women on it ...The Hills being my personal favourite - but if you actually want to watch something good it has to be the bbc

A2H GO

4th Nov 10 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
i dont get why those crazy college kids who use their laptops and computers to watch tv and films also still have to have a tv license. bbc iplayer is put on the internet to watch for free. or is that free for people who have a tv license?

i really dont get it.

I was thinking this too. I always thought they could detect you were watching TV by assesing if you were using a signal through your aerial, simialar to using a mobile phone.

My mates old man just bought a samsung 55" LED TV and it has an internet browser built into it. He's can easily set catchuptv.com as his hompage and watch any channel he wants without even plugging his aerial in. So does he actually need a TV license? If anyone came to investigate he could say he just uses the TV to browse the net and watch DVDs?
Nath

4th Nov 10 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
adverts for the radio, sorted

Would result in a loss of stations and listeners, it'd be like listening to Heart or Kiss

[Edited on 03-11-2010 by Dom]

Listening to Heart makes me want to kill people. Stop playing 'Streets of New York' by Alicia Keys you utter CUNTS!!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Arguments for and against the licence fee 22 database queries in 0.0445912 seconds