corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University Protesting

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author University Protesting
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Nov 10 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its full of twats doing a degree in psychology and Health and Social Care

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Steve]
ed

24th Nov 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People are getting confused between what "£9000" and "up to £9000" mean. Even the BBC is now neglecting to mention the "up to" bit. It's quite dangerous actually, especially as we have such shit media in this country.
3CorsaMeal

24th Nov 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm going to go down there and wheelspin in a minute, that'll show them how mad i am
ed

24th Nov 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go leave a massive 11, I mean 1!
RichR
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
People are getting confused between what "£9000" and "up to £9000" mean. Even the BBC is now neglecting to mention the "up to" bit. It's quite dangerous actually, especially as we have such shit media in this country.

People not bright enough to think for themselves, shouldn't be at uni anyway.

I mean ffs, why do Students need a union?
3CorsaMeal

24th Nov 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Go leave a massive 11, I mean 1!

an alternating 1 to be precise
Dom

24th Nov 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Surely uni's will charge as much as they can to make up for the short fall in budgets?
Steve
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uni has its place, for things like doctorates degrees, law etc. But you get everyone going there to do stupid degrees that will be no use to them and leave them in debt, just because Facebook tells them to.
ed

24th Nov 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt it.
Cavey

24th Nov 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Surely uni's will charge as much as they can to make up for the short fall in budgets?

The average uni will stick near £3k i'd imagine. It'll only be the top unis that are able to charge £9k as otherwise no-one will bother and they'll lose money
ed

24th Nov 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This ^
Steve
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly but these idiots are just looking for an opportunity to get pics of themselves for Facebook causing trouble to boost there e-ego's, and an excuse to try and emphasise the fact they think they are the be all and end all in this country.

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Steve]
Lawrah
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

University fee's ? what is this you talk of?
Russ

24th Nov 10 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
University fee's ? what is this you talk of?
it's the price we pay for sunshine and less heart problems
Lawrah
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sunshine? what is this you talk of?
Russ

24th Nov 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
sunshine? what is this you talk of?
a light from the sky, the colour of deep fried confectionary
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Nov 10 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of my class came back with banners saying 'Abolish Tuition Fees', so I gave them a lesson on why they should also have banners saying 'Increase Taxes'.

They are going back later but I'm not sure they were willing to take banners supporting the government taking money off hospitals.
Lawrah
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yes..I think I know what you are talking about...

Dom

24th Nov 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by ed

The average uni will stick near £3k i'd imagine. It'll only be the top unis that are able to charge £9k as otherwise no-one will bother and they'll lose money

I really can't see 'average' uni's sticking to the current 3k fee, as they'd simply lose money. At best, uni's will remove the blanket fee and departments will be allowed to set their own fees for courses.
Also I’ve yet to see/read anything regarding the SLC and whether or not they'll cover this increase in tuition fees or if they'll cap the tuition fee loan.

To be honest the increase in fees isn't my problem with it, it's the uni budget cut that's taking the piss. If the cash was going back into education it'd be understandable, but it'll go towards buying shit like the A400m to keep the French happy

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Dom]
Shell
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Some of my class came back with banners saying 'Abolish Tuition Fees', so I gave them a lesson on why they should also have banners saying 'Increase Taxes'.

They are going back later but I'm not sure they were willing to take banners supporting the government taking money off hospitals.

Why would they support that? Or am I just being stupid here?...

Edit: Oh you mean if they abolish tuition fees the goverment will fill the money deficit by making yet more hospital budget cuts? I'm seriously wondering if they could cut them anymore!

I'm in two minds about the protests because I don't feel I'm informed enough to understand the whole situation where education is concerned. I know that at my university there is going to be a cut in staff. Wether this will effect my campus, i'm unsure. I'm also unsure if this is because the budget is being cut but tuition fees are not being introduced. I suspect more than likely. However, I don't think it's right that only the wealthy will be able to receive a top notch education if fee's are raised to the likes of 9 grand at the best universities. I think what needs to be done is these idiotic courses they keep throwing in to uni's should be abolished. Less students, less funding required.

If you take look at Abertay Universities prospectus, you'd be horrified by some of the courses they offer, none of which qualify you for anothing. Take a look at St Andrews university and it has really only the classic courses, medicine, law, english, history etc.

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Shell]
AK

24th Nov 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

money would need to come from somewhere to cover the tuition fee's.

The gov is in debt - its needs to cut back, increase taxs (and stealth taxes)
ed

24th Nov 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cuts are a good thing. I saw a figure when the budget was unveiled stating that spending was just being brought back into line with what it was some 6-7 years ago. I get the feeling that the previous government thought that if there was a problem, throwing a fuck load of money at it might solve it...
AK

What on earth does a degree in History get you?

Both Fiona and I are Uni educated. It does make a difference.

I'm doing another uni degree at the moment but paying for this one I have BSc Computer Science and doing BEng Engineering.

Fiona has a law degree and masters in oil and gas law.

I think university is worthwhile, but do agree with Steve that 'some' folk and course are just a joke. They are just delaying their lives

Conway563

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
However, I don't think it's right that only the wealthy will be able to receive a top notch education if fee's are raised to the likes of 9 grand at the best universities.

I don't see why that is going to happen. AFAIK the system is still going to stay the same, you get a student loan and you don't start paying it back until you earn £21k (instead of the current £15k)

I agree with you on the stupid courses thing though.
90% of the people I was at school with who went to university did courses like politics or communications and now work in Tescos

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Conway563]
3CorsaMeal

24th Nov 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

media studies

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University Protesting 22 database queries in 0.0939729 seconds