corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Punto saga - Update: Reply from Fiat

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Punto saga - Update: Reply from Fiat
XE Col
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Jan 11 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In saying that my mum has an 04 Punto since new and never had a problem
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, it's an 07 car. It had a 3 year 100k warranty, like my Alfa did. You look after your cars. Time to start some angry letters to Fiat HQ. Another letter to trading standards. Get at least SOME of that money back. Moaning about it isn't going to do anything mate, take some action and get some compensation!

[Edited on 05-01-2011 by pow]
Jambo

5th Jan 11 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ouch. Oh well all things considered it's not THAT bad?

Jambo

5th Jan 11 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Right, it's an 07 car. It had a 3 year 100k warranty, like my Alfa did. You look after your cars. Time to start some angry letters to Fiat HQ. Another letter to trading standards. Get at least SOME of that money back.

Dads 3year old RR blew up due to porous head. Fsh etc they wouldn't give him a dime
XE Col
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Right, it's an 07 car. It had a 3 year 100k warranty, like my Alfa did. You look after your cars. Time to start some angry letters to Fiat HQ. Another letter to trading standards. Get at least SOME of that money back. Moaning about it isn't going to do anything mate, take some action and get some compensation!

This TBH i wouldnt be happy at having to fork out all that money,

Not that you are happy but shouldnt just sit back and pay it, without saying anything, nothing to lose even if you gain nothing
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't ask don't get though eh? I've heard as many success stories as let downs like yours.

Audi did a headgasket and wheel bearing on Dad's 2.5 year old 120k A3 a few years back, technically out of warranty due tot he milage.
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andrews imaginary Punto has also been fine
chloe16v

5th Jan 11 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FixItAgainTomorrow
deano87

5th Jan 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow - don't worry, I intend to go all the way with this.

Also hasn't been a year since I bought it so going to look into the Sales of Goods Act, but this is more appropriate for 6 months.
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff

Have you got a courtesy car?
deano87

5th Jan 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Good stuff

Have you got a courtesy car?

Yeah - from the garage I initially got recovered too. I believe the £1015 is trade price too as I'm going through the local garage. I haven't once spoken to Fiat how long I have this car I don't know but I will demand a courtesy car from Fiat.

Also requested Service Bulletin 7002.10 to be carried out. This is a new drain pipe to stop water from the windscreen ending up on the alternator and freezing the fucker. Might be worth the check with your MiTo!

[Edited on 05-01-2011 by deano87]
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 11 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines a diesel one and doesn't suffer from that problem.

Just has the worlds most tappy engine.

deano87

7th Jan 11 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, bit of an update.

It seems I was suffering from 'sticky valves' - a build up of carbon. Considerably amount of work being done to the head and valves to re-sear them. This resulted in the detonation which must have been ongoing for some time.

Reasons?

They blame stop start journeys and the engine not getting hot - not even 4 years old on 43k miles so I don't buy that. It had done 19k in 2 years, so a bit low, but not massively low.

Wrong oil - anyone's guess really.

Poor service history - I've checked the book and although the 1st service wasn't done for 2 years/19k miles. Intervals are 18k miles and they do not stipulate per annum. They do recommend an annual check for low mileage vehicles. An oil and filter change is supposed to happen. However at the bottom of the page it stipulates 2 years the oil has to change therefore misleading information.

Going to compile plenty of information and will write to Fiat I think.
richc

7th Jan 11 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should of used super unleaded...
sand-eel

7th Jan 11 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Build up of carbon happens when the car is used for granny driving about, cars do need a roasting now and again, as they are burning carbon based fuel in a mechanical device, not magic.
richc

7th Jan 11 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Build up of carbon happens when the car is used for granny driving about, cars do need a roasting now and again, as they are burning carbon based fuel in a mechanical device, not magic.

I tell my girlfriend this. She has a 2005 mini with 20k miles on the clock (as of last week), and she about cries when i take it to 6500+ rpm

Also, im sure it 6600 rpm in second gear and then 7000 in third.....96 miles an hour on the limiter

It ticked over nicer after some abuse the other day. It use to idle quiet uncomfortably.
mwg

7th Jan 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs bouncing off the limiter a bit more
Nath

7th Jan 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

For sustained periods of time.
deano87

7th Jan 11 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

I know, and I did give it a good hammering now and again. So certainly didn't hang about. Plus my commute is motorway, therefore definitely getting warm. Incidentally the ecoDRIVE as part of the Blue&Me system which advises on economical driving. It says to not rev above 2500rpm. What a load of bollocks.

Mixture of issues I guess culminating in a hefty bill.

At least I know it should be good from now on if I treat it right.
richc

7th Jan 11 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
I know, and I did give it a good hammering now and again. So certainly didn't hang about. Plus my commute is motorway, therefore definitely getting warm. Incidentally the ecoDRIVE as part of the Blue&Me system which advises on economical driving. It says to not rev above 2500rpm. What a load of bollocks.

You dont seem the type of person to know what a good hammering is!

My dads idea of a good hammering is about 4k rpm in 2nd gear, then through the other gears at normal revs. Buy your posts/choices of cars, i imagine this to be the case.
Kurt

7th Jan 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FYI it stores over revs in the ecu, just hope it hasnt been bounced off the limiter alot by the previous owner otherwise you'll get nowhere with Fiat.

As I said via pm, fiat goodwill are pretty good if you put up a good argument
mwg

7th Jan 11 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

rag it all over the parish m8
Nath

7th Jan 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

rag it all over the parish m8

parish
deano87

7th Jan 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by deano87

You dont seem the type of person to know what a good hammering is!

My dads idea of a good hammering is about 4k rpm in 2nd gear, then through the other gears at normal revs. Buy your posts/choices of cars, i imagine this to be the case.

I've taken it to the red line on numerous times, but don't like doing it when the engine is really really cold for obvious reasons.

Just because I don't have 'performance cars', it doesn't mean I don't drive them hard...

I do happen to keep revs low, i.e. when sitting at 30mph through town I'll have it in 4th. May be because of the longer rev range in this than the Corsa I should keep it in 3rd, for example.
deano87

7th Jan 11 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
FYI it stores over revs in the ecu, just hope it hasnt been bounced off the limiter alot by the previous owner otherwise you'll get nowhere with Fiat.

As I said via pm, fiat goodwill are pretty good if you put up a good argument

I believe the garage did an ECU reset before they took the head off to no avail. I'm sure the garage would have mentioned it before now. Especially as I've said I'm going to approach Fiat myself.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Punto saga - Update: Reply from Fiat 22 database queries in 0.0167649 seconds