corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Manual vs automatic (and I guess FWD vs RWD) on the snow/ice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Manual vs automatic (and I guess FWD vs RWD) on the snow/ice
FruitBooTeR

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
RWD with the engine mounted at the front is officially turd in snow / ice.

TBH theyre ok as long as you know how to drive them..

My S15 has been fine apart from getting stuck 3 times but that was because I went down a snow covered cul-de-sac on a slight decline and got stuck turning it around.

Driving on flat roads even covered in hard compacted snow its okay if your using high gears and minimum acceleration.

It is how you drive though as ive seen lots of women in Mercs stuck on a flat road with hardley much snow.

Its fun when the roads are dead and youve got nice big wide corners / junctions
Ben G

23rd Dec 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Originally posted by Mike B
quote:
•Reversing Uphill: If you are really keen, front wheel drive cars will sometimes climb a snowy slope better in reverse gear, because having the back of the car higher than the front puts more of the engine weight over the driven wheels.

i tried this on my driveway but it didn't work.

had to reverse onto my driveway to get out the next day. if i reversed off my driveway, it just span the wheels.

stan_the_man

23rd Dec 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My A3 Turbo has 235 wide tyres and it is THE worst car i have ever driven in the snow. I hate to use the term, but its pretty much undriveable.

I have a BMW 316 and thats far better once its moving.
richc

23rd Dec 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
I dont think you can say either way really, it comes down to specific cars. My dads mk5 Astra is useless with its traction control you cant switch off, but my mums 1.3cdti Corsa D has been fine. My VX220 isnt great but it will get there as long as i dont drive like a bell end. My mates RWD transit was useless.

Most of the stuff stuck at the bottom of our road are BMWs and big fwd audis.

[Edited on 21-12-2010 by Adam_B]

Have you held the sport button in for bout 5 secs?
Mertin

24th Dec 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My astra with 185 tyres hasnt failed me yet, if i get stuck its out within minutes. Ibizas 205's is a major fail so just took insurance off it and parked it up
John

24th Dec 10 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not been stuck once with the shittest tyres known to man on my ibiza with the same wheels as you, it's actually done surprisingly well.
Paul_J

24th Dec 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
RWD with the engine mounted at the front is officially turd in snow / ice.

TBH theyre ok as long as you know how to drive them..

My S15 has been fine apart from getting stuck 3 times but that was because I went down a snow covered cul-de-sac on a slight decline and got stuck turning it around.

Driving on flat roads even covered in hard compacted snow its okay if your using high gears and minimum acceleration.

It is how you drive though as ive seen lots of women in Mercs stuck on a flat road with hardley much snow.

Its fun when the roads are dead and youve got nice big wide corners / junctions

Cool story bro... but what if where you live / work the roads aren't flat

In particular you have steep inclines and declines in rush hour traffic... You catch the car infront going up the incline, have to stop, then have to move off again but then the car slides all over the place while trying to edge back up the hill. Then you're fucked.

Hence in a FWD car you'd be able to trundle up the hill no problem.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Manual vs automatic (and I guess FWD vs RWD) on the snow/ice 22 database queries in 0.0103691 seconds