corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » car accident, would you stop and help?

Poll: car accident, would you stop and help?
  should've stopped
  keep going

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author car accident, would you stop and help?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
24th Dec 10 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difficult to say what you would do on the day but I have stopped in the past. There was a wagon off the road and nose in to a field, I went over and climbed up to the cab window to have a look in. It's not a nice feeling wondering if you're going to see someone slumped over the wheel. Turns out no one was even in it - they had just left the handbrake off and it rolled all that way from the yard up the road a bit. How it didn't take any cars out on the way I don't know.
Jon_C
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally would stop. You never know if someone could be trapped or injured. I would want someone to stop if i crashed.
If you expect people to do something for you i guess you have to be willing to do it for others
alan-g-w

24th Dec 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Treat others as you'd like to be treated. If you'd want someone to stop and help you, then you should do the same. I would anyway and tbh in that situation it wouldn't even cross my mind that I was going to get stabbed or somethin You can usually gauge the situation anyway unless you're a retard.

This here, it's actually sad that the country's gone this way where people are scared to stop to help someone crashed at the side of the road. As has been said, if I didn't stop in that situation the very least I would do is phone an ambulance, even the local police station to tell them to give it a look.

It happened to me a couple of months ago on one of the busiest roads in Glasgow. I was heading over to my girlfriend's house and was aboiut five minuted away when I saw what appeared to be a body slumped over in the middle of the road, right next to a traffic island. Thing is, it was the same week as Halloween so I assumed it was kids pulling a prank by the fact that no one else was stopping. However, just as I was about 10 yds up driving away this woman's leg twitched I've never threw the car into reverse so fast, I jumped out of the car waving my arms about like a loony getting traffic to stop. I put her in the recovery position and it was only then I could see the extent of things - her whole forehead had been 'scalped' from just above her eyebrows, right back to just behind her hairline. The woman had been hit by a car and the person had just driven away without so much as an anonymous call to 999.

I can see the associated risk with going over to a car on a deserted country road - but unless it's someone trying to flag traffic down on purpose then where's the risk? Surely you're not going to get people driving out to the middle of nowhere, crashing their car on purpose just so that someone maybe comes along and offers them a hand. Then they bash them over the back of the nut and stick wheel bolts up your arse
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 10 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey - was she OK?
alan-g-w

24th Dec 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She was treated on the scene for a bit, I gave a statement telling the police I had just turned up on the scene to find her slumped there in a pool of blood. I phoned the hospital down the road from where she had been picked up the next day to be told she was doing totally fine, I was honestly expecting the worst considering the impact her head must have taken.
mattk

24th Dec 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id stop, I always have a big torch and heavy things in my van, Id be on my guard, buy only because Im scared of the dark
BarnshaW

24th Dec 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drive past, toot horn and open the window and shout OI OI and carry on driving
Ojc

24th Dec 10 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice to all of you as heartless as it seems is to never stop. I witnessed/helped people out of a car that was on it's roof a horrendous accident had to give a statment then some cunt traffic officer came round and tried accusing me of causing it. Scum
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stoped the other day for a women that had slid into the ditch. No real fault of her own As I nearly followed her in there, she was ok, bit shocked but fine, waited till her husband came and then went on my way.
Just so happens there car is now in my work so not all bad and boss is happy with me.

If I needed help I would hoped that someone stopped for me. When I came off my motorbike and hit a tree someone luckily saw it as I was knocked out and in the dark lying in the ditch so could of been there for a long time or untill the worse happened.

Doesn't take 2 mins to check if someone is ok and no matter what your going to, People will understand why you are late!
3CorsaMeal

24th Dec 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i stopped for a motorbike that crashed in front of me, and he seemed to look down at me for driving a corsa as fast as his R1 motorbike.

he was fine though, just hurt his pride, i still felt like he didn't want me there
Doug

24th Dec 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it your goal to actually insert a certain % of drivel in every post you make?
Brett
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
My advice to all of you as heartless as it seems is to never stop. I witnessed/helped people out of a car that was on it's roof a horrendous accident had to give a statment then some cunt traffic officer came round and tried accusing me of causing it. Scum

I remember a similar story posted on here. It was where a lad had stopped to help some people who'd crashed (and died as it happened) and because he was the first and only person on the scene, he was then accused of racing and subsequently sent down for causing the accident. Don't know if anyone else remember that?
Ben G

24th Dec 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm seems a bit hit and miss then.

there was no major damage from what i could see. roof wasn't caved in and all the lights were on.

you just always hear about some dodgy stuff happening and i'd rather drive past then risk them being high on drugs or something and trying to rape the missus'.

never know nowadays.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you could of at least phoned the emergency services Surely you or your mrs have a smart phone?
John

24th Dec 10 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

This, I wouldn't be worried about wheel nuts being shoved anywhere, it's the hassle the cops cause. I'd stop though if nobody else was about.
Ben G

24th Dec 10 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a shitty old samsung. she has a blackberry.

no good if i don't know the road is it

there were 2 cars coming the other way a little further up anyway, 1 being a taxi so he probably stopped and helped or got raped.
John

24th Dec 10 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I remember a similar story posted on here. It was where a lad had stopped to help some people who'd crashed (and died as it happened) and because he was the first and only person on the scene, he was then accused of racing and subsequently sent down for causing the accident. Don't know if anyone else remember that?

Is that not the one the guy had actually caused it
Brett
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

Is that not the one the guy had actually caused it

Quite possibly then lol

You're going to have to back up that smiley with a link tho, John.
John

24th Dec 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure, I can remember one where a guy on here killed somebody and another one where there was some dodgy story about average speeds that was clearly made up, both may be the same thing.

Somebody always comes along and moans when its talked about.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i have a shitty old samsung. she has a blackberry.

no good if i don't know the road is it

there were 2 cars coming the other way a little further up anyway, 1 being a taxi so he probably stopped and helped or got raped.

The blackberry will have some form of maps to identify where you are.
Brett
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the first one you mean is Ditch off here who went for an overtake and plowed head on into some innocents.

Not sure really, I know it was an american story so it was probably bollocks anyway, ah well
Eck
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not sure, I can remember one where a guy on here killed somebody and another one where there was some dodgy story about average speeds that was clearly made up, both may be the same thing.

Was that the boy with the Celica that killed the old man?
John

24th Dec 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't even think of anything to search for them by
mattant

24th Dec 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If no one else had stopped I would have. I slid on some snow on a country road and went off the road, 90% of people that drove past stopped to see if I was ok and I was more than grateful
Ojc

24th Dec 10 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

Was that the boy with the Celica that killed the old man?

Ditch

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » car accident, would you stop and help? 22 database queries in 0.0145769 seconds