corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wanli Tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wanli Tyres
Doug

User status: Offline
30th Dec 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Yeah but if you replace the brakes, you just buy some from eurocarparts or something and don't think about it usually? I doubt cheap ones would be any worse than dealer ones.

Kidding me?

A Good friend of mine put a brand new set of Euro Car Parts cheap pads on his E30 at Oulton park and actually had fire coming out of this calipers within 3 laps.

Whereas when you run something like Carbotech, Ferodo DS2500 or Pagids you get much better performance (and less fire....)

sand-eel

30th Dec 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oulton park and the public roads are a bit different, TBH I do agree for track use shit brakes will be shit but for road use anything will do.
You can't stop faster than the tyres can handle eg pad coeff-Friction 1.5 tyres coeff-F 1.2 you will still stop at 1.2G's regardless.
Rich H

30th Dec 10 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres I tend to use top end budget to mid range - Van has Kumho's, Mini has Avon's atm.

Brakes I always use OEM or the more expensive motor factor stuff (e.g Pagid)

Those sorts of things I don't like to run too much of a risk with so don't spend as little as possible, but at same time I don't spend a fortune as don't realistically believe there's enough difference to justify such price hikes.
j10E W

30th Dec 10 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are very poor tyres
John

30th Dec 10 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone who blames tyres for crashing a car is an idiot, unless it was literally the first corner you came to.
Joe

30th Dec 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheap shit, but they are cheap so you can't expect much.
DaveyLC

31st Dec 10 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Love it when people talk about tyres..

More expensive isnt always better, for example Contential EcoContacts are big bucks but they are shit for grip.

I'd much rather have a budget directional ZR rated tyre than a low end premium tyre like a Pirelli P6000 which are affectionately known as "Rim protectors" i.e. they are only good for stopping the wheels from getting scratched when the car rolls off the production line.
dannymccann

31st Dec 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is nothing wrong with budget tyres if you drive properly, if you drive to.attract attention from the police then they probably aren't the tyres for you. I have only ever fitted budget tyres, I think the astra has 4 different tyres on it atm and funnily enough I don't find myself in ditches etc, if you are going fast enough to do that it doesn't what tyre you've got
BarnshaW

31st Dec 10 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fact of the matter is yes budget tyres do make a difference, people claiming they dont are the people who skrimp out and just trying to justify it, bottom of the range budget tyres as mentioned in this thread are shit.
ShEp

31st Dec 10 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

More expensive isnt always better, for example Contential EcoContacts are big bucks but they are shit for grip.

I'd much rather have a budget directional ZR rated tyre than a low end premium tyre like a Pirelli P6000 which are affectionately known as "Rim protectors" i.e. they are only good for stopping the wheels from getting scratched when the car rolls off the production line.

EcoContact..

The clue is in the name

EcoContact are for eco driving, thats the reason you only get them in small sizes for small economical cars cars,

Sport contacts etc are good for grip but you'll get bugger all mileage out of them.
BarnshaW

31st Dec 10 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i remember once being a pikey and putting "arrowspeed" tyres on my car and they were absolutely diabolical, i think i changed them about 2 months later because they were that bad
alan-g-w

31st Dec 10 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to stick part worns on. I got a pair of T1Ss and they enlightened me, I knew they'd make a difference but the difference they make is unbelievable. Had medium - premium brands from then on.
Ben G

31st Dec 10 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this thread

they are tyres an perfectly safe for normal road use.

most people who drive a car don't drive like utter twats doing 150mph around bends so they suit their needs perfectly.

obviously if you like a spirited drive, they may not offer as good grip as a higher end tyre but that's why they're so cheap compared to others.

just a load of undead colin mcrae's in here.
BarnshaW

31st Dec 10 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there cheap for a reason though and if like myself you take pride in your car then spending a bit more on decent tyres isnt really wasted money.

either you are quite stupid or just making stupid comments because even at 60/70mph speeds tyre quality will have quite a big impact.
sand-eel

31st Dec 10 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

I had P6000's on the back of the bmw and they were fucking excellent, bmw recommend them but with any tyres they don't suit everything.
DaveyLC

31st Dec 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course BMW recommend them its in their contract with Pirelli! LOL! In the same way they recommend Mobil-1 Because they HAVE TO.

Many of the cheaper Chinese tyres use the EXACT same structure, tread pattern and compounds as the high end stuff.

A Kuhmo KU31 is an AWESOME tyre, they average at about £65 a corner and are as good as any £200+ a corner offering from Pirelli/Michelin/Dunlop.

I Always use budget ZR tyres on my daily dunners and I find them to offer better grip than any premium tyre I could buy for the same price. So whats the point in buying a Y/W rated premium tyre with a a pattern designed for longivity and not performance when I could spend the same money on a ZR rated tyre with a directional tread pattern and a softer compound?
DaveyLC

31st Dec 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..Anyhoo people on here are always wanking on about Yokohomas and TOYO's.. They are budget brands!
sand-eel

31st Dec 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt they would have a contract with a shit tyre that doesn't work with their geometry though.
DaveyLC

31st Dec 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like any other manufacturer they go with who ever can give them the most benefit.

Kumho have a contract with Mercedes (and Smart) who many would consider to be one of the most prestige brands on the planet but people stick their noses up at Kumho?

Its all snobbery and "concieved brand quality". In the same way that someone would pay more money for an Apple product even though its still manufactured in China just like everything else.

This is a forum for people who like Corsa's which are a budget hatchback so why are people sticking their noses up at anything?
Joe

31st Dec 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
this thread

most people who drive a car don't drive like utter twats doing 150mph around bends so they suit their needs perfectly.

obviously if you like a spirited drive, they may not offer as good grip as a higher end tyre but that's why they're so cheap compared to others.

Thats obvious though, some people put new tyres on just to be legal which is why Wanli make tyres, others would rather put their car on something better. Course they are 'safe' but if you want to go quick would you trust them.
Rich H

31st Dec 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kumho and Marshall are the same btw, come out the same factory and share a fair few tread patterns etc. I used to think Kumho were shite, but have changed my mind since fitting them to the van and to my ex gf's Astra.

I had Conti Sport's on the van when I originally got the wheels, and they were shocking - were never great on my old Corsa C either.
Ben G

31st Dec 10 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
this thread

Thats obvious though, some people put new tyres on just to be legal which is why Wanli make tyres, others would rather put their car on something better. Course they are 'safe' but if you want to go quick would you trust them.

of course not, but they do the job they're supposed to do.

it's like buying a tesco value hoover then moaning because it doesn't pick up dust as well a a dyson.

for most people though, the tesco hoover will be fine for them.

same with tyres.

i currently have a mix of tyres on my puma and the handling in the wet is laughable, but they would be fine for someone who does a lot of motorway miles or town driving, not someone like me who drive around roundabouts and country lanes a bit too fast.
Mertin

1st Jan 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My astra has a Wanli, Pirelli, Vredestein and some other brand. Diff one on each corner. I have 2 x Pirelli's to fit but not got round to it yet

Iv found it fine as its only a 1.6 8v spi engine and not a rally car and their all legal so no problem

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wanli Tyres 22 database queries in 0.0154922 seconds