corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cutting out the top of the suspension struts

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cutting out the top of the suspension struts
big eck

User status: Offline
31st Jan 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally wouldn't want to start hacking bits of metal off my suspension but if it makes no difference at all to the handling then you can just go for it.

I suppose it's no different in cutting your arches apart for bigger wheels lol.
stan_the_man

31st Jan 11 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just cut it! I'll bring a hole saw, some beers and we'll go at it! I'll even mop your brow haha.

If you use a conical grinder bit on the end of a drill,that would do the trick surely?
stan_the_man

31st Jan 11 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of these
sand-eel

31st Jan 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its extremely normal to cut the turrets holes bigger, also if they take out the strut and adjust it, they will need to do that loads of times to get it stop on, which I don't see them doing that.
alan-g-w

1st Feb 11 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stan, that's a step up drill not a grinding bit. If you're going to use anything like that you want a TC cutter, something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_en-GB&biw=1259&bih=606&q=tungsten+carbide+cutter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3022436352471317702&ei=ecRHTd2KK4-bhQfm5rSNBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CI4BEPMCMAg#

Bit of wood bolted to the underside is the best suggestion so far in my book.
Gary
Premium Member

1st Feb 11 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a hole saw on it and stop messing about!!

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You can't use a hole saw, there's no pilot hole.

Unless it's a tight fit inside the strut brace it'll just shake about and rag everything. If it is a tight fit it'll mark the strut brace.

You would be better removing the strut brace and bolting it a blank which is marked for the hole saw.

The only reason not to cut is strength. Resale value is largely unaffected. I've never checked anything like that when I've bought a car. If it's cut cleanly and treated properly you wouldn't even notice on inspection.

I would have said it'd be ok as there is the channel all the way round to stop movement.

Failing that. Get a bit of ply and bolt it underneath! so you have a pilot hole.

Fucking about with gay grinding bits will just make for a messy job.

Hole saw and some cutting oil FTW

Cutting oil is definatly needed too!
alan-g-w

1st Feb 11 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be that thick I wouldn't have thought, bit of wd-40 on it wouldn't hurt though.
a_j_mair

1st Feb 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people saying to bolt a bit of wood to the bottom

This will require the struts to be removed, like what the garage are going to do to adjust them, not much point drilling it if you are going to remove the strut anyway
alan-g-w

1st Feb 11 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously you'd want to remove the strut if you're cutting the strut top. It just means that he'll only need to remove them once instead of every time he needs them adjusted.
Ben G

1st Feb 11 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not contact bc and ask how you're meant to adjust the camber on the coilovers when they are already on the car?

bit silly if you can't.
Graham88

1st Feb 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously the strut will need dropped to drill it, otherwise the pilot bit on the drill will be drilling through the coilover, but as mentioned then I can just do that in my own time, only takes 20 mins anyway.

Might do that Ben, I've gotta wait a couple of days before being able to borrow the drill bit anyway.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cutting out the top of the suspension struts 22 database queries in 0.1619940 seconds