corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who has right of way here

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who has right of way here
Col004

User status: Offline
21st Feb 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Big statement you made there.. ''if safe to overtake''. meaning he should be aware of what is pulling out of the junction opposite the stupidly parked lorry before making an overtake. He wouldn't come away with anything if he was to hit the green car and the lorry would be shafted too.

[Edited on 21-02-2011 by Col004]
antnee

21st Feb 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Steve has already pulled out to come round the lorry, then the other car clearly didn't look properly
alan-g-w

21st Feb 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Col004
Big statement you made there.. ''if safe to overtake''. meaning he should be aware of what is pulling out of the junction opposite the stupidly parked lorry before making an overtake. He wouldn't come away with anything if he was to hit the green car and the lorry would be shafted too.

I'd be inclined to agree with this purely from the common sense point of view, Steve's got to be in the wrong if he crashes while on the wrong side of the road
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

if i was halfway through the manouvre though and the car pulled out, it was safe when i started the move, the car coming out of the junction through its lack of awareness made it unsafe,

imo anyway
mwg

21st Feb 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who gives a crap
alan-g-w

21st Feb 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The give way lines means Steve has right of way whatever
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...even if he is turning right
John

21st Feb 11 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve has right of way.

How can someone coming out of a side road have right of way?

Although stupid, it would have been ok to overtake a car at that junction.
mattk

21st Feb 11 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

it is safe to overtake assuming the green car isnt being driven by a complete twat and looks before he goes

exactly the same as going through a green light is safe as long as the car at the red light isnt being driven by a complete twat that doesnt see it and stop

fact is all cars are driven by humans of varying competence, Steve in this case is in the right
Daveskater
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve is always right tbh.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AndyCorsaSport

21st Feb 11 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tough one, imo your right, as the car is pulling into a road your alredy on.

I was passenger in my dads van when he overtook a parked bus, on a 40 road, slowed down to 20/25, safely overtook, when a taxi which was parked infront of the bus, did a U Turn straight infront of us, hit us. He admitted fault, then 4 month later got a letter, he took us to court, claimed all sorts of shit, said we were speeding, dangerously overtaking etc, my dad has NEVER had a speeding ticket, and had 30+ years safe driving awards from being a bus driver. We lost in court!!! Said we shouldnt have overtook. :S
Col004

21st Feb 11 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
quote:

it is safe to overtake assuming the green car isnt being driven by a complete twat and looks before he goes

exactly the same as going through a green light is safe as long as the car at the red light isnt being driven by a complete twat that doesnt see it and stop

fact is all cars are driven by humans of varying competence, Steve in this case is in the right

I cant see how going through a green light is the same as being on the wrong side of the road. But cos you use large . ill let you be right
John

21st Feb 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being on that side of the road when it's clear is perfectly legal to do, the person from the side street is coming out into moving traffic, it's his fault.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have right of way

lorry driver is a cunt
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Feb 11 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think this one is clear cut.

You have right of way as you're on the road already and the other car is only joining.

However, Highway Code 167:

quote:
DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

- approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

Obviously this would cause you to have to stop indefinitely behind the lorry which obviously also it not acceptable.

But if I had have pulled out and hit you mid-overtake, I would be questioning your judgement of overtaking when there was a car present and waiting to enter the road.

If I had to choose one position, I would rather fight your side but it's not as simple as saying you're on the road so you're completely in the clear.
John

21st Feb 11 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the car was visible I'd proceed with caution (I'd proceed with caution anyway), if the car hadn't approached the junction when you went for the overtake I'd put the blame squarely on the one coming out of the junction.

I agree it could be a problem arguing the point though.
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As John said if he was waiting there I'd be approaching with caution but I'd be taking it as my right of way, perhaps a beep of the horn to let everyone know I'm coming through
Warren G

21st Feb 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You had right or way,

they were at a junction, which you have to give way to traffic on the raod you was on
corsamon

21st Feb 11 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red lorry, yellow lorry, red lorry, yellow lorry, red lorry, yellow lorry. Oh sorry what was the topic about
adiohead

21st Feb 11 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You had right of way and green square is a fucking prick
Stu-G

21st Feb 11 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The green car is entering a new road so has to give way to any on coming traffic, so tht would be you have right of way then!
sand-eel

22nd Feb 11 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This exact thing happened to me the other day, some dick in a merc pulled out a side street when I was already going past a parked car, he was waving his arms about like I was in the wrong so just mouthed "fuck you" to him
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Feb 11 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please don't assume than right of way absolves you of any liability in the case of a claim.
sand-eel

22nd Feb 11 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my case the guy pulled out, making me brake so he would be liable, tbh don't actually think he looked at all, anyone would realise they would have to wait.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who has right of way here 23 database queries in 0.0175040 seconds