corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Caught speeding

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Caught speeding
stan_the_man

User status: Offline
17th May 11 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got zapped at 47 in a 30. Ignored all letters that were sent to me, ignored my citation to appear in court and then got a letter to say they had dropped charges. Gotta love Scotland.
DaveyLC

17th May 11 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
you were implying its not illegal to drive without a speedo, as you said no its not, the only part of what i said which that would make sense to is "its illegal to drive without a speedo" which it is, now you are just picking out a small innacuracy in my statement to make it appear that you werent wrong, when in fact if you were talking about my comment regarding points you would have said "no you cant" or similar

[Edited on 17-05-2011 by Steve]

It isnt illegal to drive without a speedo.. If you take the speedo out of your car it remains completely road legal

Steve
Premium Member

17th May 11 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the car came with one it has to have one, apparently
Russ

17th May 11 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought it was along the lines of what steve said
Chris x

17th May 11 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Land Rover speedo snapped the other day whilst off roading. I dont see how anyone would pick up on it?!
mattant

17th May 11 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
My Land Rover speedo snapped the other day whilst off roading. I dont see how anyone would pick up on it?!

I think it's more if you get caught speeding you can't use the excuse "my speedo didn't work"
big eck

17th May 11 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:
heh, I accidently got zapped by a camera van today doing 80 in a 50 ... I've got 14 days of waiting ahead... oh well.

Is it not a month these days?!

no idea... I'm not losing much sleep over it.

Mine came through in 7 days. 80 in a 50 is a bit of a bad one tho lol
pow
Premium Member

17th May 11 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PaulJ? Speeding excessivly? Neveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
whitter45

17th May 11 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
you were implying its not illegal to drive without a speedo, as you said no its not, the only part of what i said which that would make sense to is "its illegal to drive without a speedo" which it is, now you are just picking out a small innacuracy in my statement to make it appear that you werent wrong, when in fact if you were talking about my comment regarding points you would have said "no you cant" or similar

[Edited on 17-05-2011 by Steve]

isn't that what you do for a living on here - pick the smallest fault in what people post

[Edited on 17-05-2011 by whitter45]
marklawton

17th May 11 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
quote:
heh, I accidently got zapped by a camera van today doing 80 in a 50 ... I've got 14 days of waiting ahead... oh well.

Is it not a month these days?!

no idea... I'm not losing much sleep over it.

Mine came through in 7 days. 80 in a 50 is a bit of a bad one tho lol

my brother got caught a few years ago doing 84 in a 40, 58 day ban
gtitim

17th May 11 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
^^ gtitim would have banned him for that.

Do you really think you are funny? You come across as a bit of a prick to be honest.

Unfortunately, speed cameras are set to a level above the limit, whereas a cop with a speed gun can use discretion, and will if they feel it is appropriate.

With regard to differing punishments, different offences have different guidelines - ie insecure loads etc being different to speeding to seatbelts, phones etc. The Police go by the legislation.

We often use motoring offences as a way of targeting offenders - zero discretion given, only takes max of 4 offences for a totting ban. Once banned, alot are stupid and will drive. The punishments for dizzy driving are often harsher than for petty theft, drug possession etc, and the chance of a custodial sentence can be higher.
Alex_Rally

17th May 11 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gtitim , u even sound like a flat footed nob of a copper.
daymoon
Premium Member

17th May 11 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
quote:

Do you really think you are funny? You come across as a bit of a prick to be honest.

Why get so abusive straight away?

John

17th May 11 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The punishments for dizzy driving are often harsher than for petty theft, drug possession etc, and the chance of a custodial sentence can be higher.

Every single cop show I've ever seen on TV must be different from the norm then, they usually get a 50 quid fine and banned again.
Alex_Rally

17th May 11 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly john
gtitim

17th May 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Why get so abusive straight away?

Because I am a little bored of pathetic comments like yours. You don't know me, or what I do or have done, but you think pathetic comments make your internet ego a bit bigger. I was here years before you, and have been modifying cars for 12 yrs, and will continue to do so. The fact I am a cop means I do everything legally, and am well aware of legislation and the implications of breaking the law.

daymoon
Premium Member

17th May 11 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't you think people post " pathetic comments" because they find what you post "pathetic" too?

And what 12 yrs of you modifying cars have anything to do that has been said in this thread?
gtitim

17th May 11 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact is - I quote the law, and the likely outcomes. Some agree, some don't, and some think all cops are idiots. Some people I deal with at work I like, others I think are idiots, it's called life.
Sometimes I make mistakes, I am human. With regard to 12 yrs of modifying - I know my way around a car, know what is and isn't legal, why driving a modified car is likely to get you stopped for some things and not for others, and how it affects the way you are dealt with by Police.
Kris1990

17th May 11 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll more than likely be offered a speed awareness course, my mate was doing about 50 in a 30, spotted the speed camera and managed to slow down, still got caught doing 36 though haha
DJMartin07

17th May 11 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mom got done doing 36mph in a 30 zone and all she had to do was choose either points and a fine, or pay for a speed awareness course. She did the course, and said that it taught her alot that she didn't know.
gtitim

17th May 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ACPO guidelines influence the amount over the limit at which you are issued a pentalty.

The mobile camera operators rarely get people 'just' over the limit, as they must form the opinion that the vehicle is speeding prior to using the laser device, whereas the fixed camera checks every passing vehicle and the safety camera partnership fine all those over the limit.
daymoon
Premium Member

17th May 11 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The fact is - I quote the law, and the likely outcomes. Some agree, some don't, and some think all cops are idiots. Some people I deal with at work I like, others I think are idiots, it's called life.
Sometimes I make mistakes, I am human. With regard to 12 yrs of modifying - I know my way around a car, know what is and isn't legal, why driving a modified car is likely to get you stopped for some things and not for others, and how it affects the way you are dealt with by Police.

Well I hope you changed the source from which you quote laws...
We wouldn't want you to be embarassed quoting laws incorrectly.
gtitim

17th May 11 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have quoted one offence code incorrectly, for a speeding fine. Not something I regularly dish out, having given two in 3 yrs of policing
daymoon
Premium Member

17th May 11 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I have quoted one offence code incorrectly, for a speeding fine. Not something I regularly dish out, having given two in 3 yrs of policing

Was embarassing though, wasn't it?

Returning to 12 years of modifying cars - Laws change. So saying how long you have been modifying cars is useless.

Mods don't increase anyones chances of being stopped.
Both times I have been stopped I was driving standard cars, Apart from one that had newer alloys.

When I was driving my Swift with 3/4 plate that I knew was illegal - no one bothered to stop me and I drove all over Yorkshire passing alot of police cars. Once went past loads of police cars on full chat and never got pulled over.
gtitim

17th May 11 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Was embarassing though, wasn't it? Not really - it happens
Returning to 12 years of modifying cars - Laws change. So saying how long you have been modifying cars is useless. The Road Traffic Act hasnt changed a great amount since 1988 - few new offences - phones etc, SOCAP, Section 59 etc etc

Mods don't increase anyones chances of being stopped. - In my opinion they will to the majority of cops - as they want to know if it's safe, is it insured to you or mummy, are your mods declared, why are you lapping town like a muppet (not all modded cars obviously), and they will pay more attention to your manner of driving.

Both times I have been stopped I was driving standard cars, Apart from one that had newer alloys. And? I got stopped the other week in my car, which is modified. The wife got stopped in hers, which isnt.

When I was driving my Swift with 3/4 plate that I knew was illegal - no one bothered to stop me and I drove all over Yorkshire passing alot of police cars. Once went past loads of police cars on full chat and never got pulled over. - We have to weigh up is it worth chasing after you for it, or is the plate legible and clear? I have turned and followed and stopped cars with stupid italic fonts, and also let plenty of mis-spaced or 'fancy' plates go, as I generally have more important things to be doing, and don't have the downtime from priority jobs to deal with number plates.

[Edited on 17-05-2011 by gtitim]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Caught speeding 22 database queries in 0.1746008 seconds