corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's your job and what job what would you prefer?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What's your job and what job what would you prefer?
_Allan_

User status: Offline
4th Aug 11 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm out of work at the mo

Looking out for a college course or training in Vajazzling but it's a right cunt to get into.
Fro

4th Aug 11 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Yeah I can imagine I work on Central Line, so errrrr, avoid it

Mum gets on that in the morning. I usuallystick to district line this days and catch a snooze instead of faffing about switching to the jubilee which has a habit of fucking up at least once a week.

Matt - its always interested me too, always liked trains in general.

Dream profession when I was growing up was to be a passenger jet pilot.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
4th Aug 11 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I loved teaching but I always had the feeling that if I did that for 30 years I would look back and wonder what could have been.

Wanted to go private but that isn't really viable unless I rented a classroom-sized office. Which I can afford to do with the redundancy money but which if it doesn't fill is mostly down the drain.

Current thinking is mobile hospitality. I really like doing it as a hobby and even as a job it still would get me out and about doing outdoors things. Also involves repairing and maintaining the trailers and a lot of towing. Which is obviously a great way to spend your time.

Plus the investment in that can be realised if you need to sell them on as an older one wouldn't depreciate much. Infact with a bit of tidying and updating it may well make money, even if it didn't rent. Which with the contacts I have in the car scene I should do, before I've looked at other types of show.

Fuel cost going up actually favours starting up locally because where years ago you could appoint someone southern to come up to a northern event, nowadays that isn't viable. Same company who quoted £600 for the unit we had for Combe a few times wanted £1000 to come to Oulton. I could beat that.
gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pharmacy

Enjoy it in genral but can be a bit stretched sometimes but thats working for the NHS for you. Nice and stable though which is a good thing in the current climate. Pays a good wage too which is nice.

Always wanted to be a heavy construction plant operator. Left college with this in mind but couldnt find an employer to sponsor a course for me. ended up lucking into pharmacy insted (talk about differnt ends of the spectrum )

Still would love to do it when ever I see them at work but I would be halving my wage to go and do it so not really an option I am happy where I am though

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
craig8
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

construction and rail plant fitter

fell into it from doing panel beating and offered an apprentiship at a plant dealer then went to a customer to work

not a clue what i would rather do as i enjoy the job but the hours are mental

E36 328
Matty W

4th Aug 11 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently an apprentice mechanic at arnold clark. boring, repetative service work. nothing exciting ever happens..
apart from 2 weeks ago when i handed in my notice. 16 days of the shit left and then ive got a month off before i go to university to start a motorsport engineering course.

also just heard from my uncle that my local karting track are desperate for mechanics for weekends. off to hand in my C.V. tonight
Graham88

4th Aug 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
London Underground kind of interests me for some geeky reason I work in civil & structural engineering so I guess its that side of me creeping in

I know where you're coming from in a strange kinda way, but we'll keep it hush

Seen some cool things in my 4 years working there and I'm sure there are plenty more to see...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/GrahamVFR/London%20Underground/underground5.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/GrahamVFR/London%20Underground/21082008022.jpg
CarbonMike

4th Aug 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a digital telecomms engineer for Fujitsu, currently working on the Virgin Media project.

Basic salary is shiote though (£18k), but there is enourmous oppurtunity to further my career within the company, and plenty scope to work anywhere in the world.

As for those who want to start there own business, its pretty easy tbh, I was a sole trader for 4 years with about 10~15 sole trader sub contracters working for me.

[Edited on 04-08-2011 by CarbonMike]
taylorboosh

4th Aug 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apprentice bt customer service engineer - love it - plan to stay and progress, planning seems a good path
AndyKent

4th Aug 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently training as a building surveyor. Turns out I don't much enjoy repairing old buildings

I enjoy architecture/design immensely though, so pushing through the creation of a new department at work to do this, with me as an integral part.

We'll see if it comes off......

If it does, brilliant, if it doesn't I'll move elsewhere once I've got my degree.
taylorboosh

4th Aug 11 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CarbonMike
Im a digital telecomms engineer for Fujitsu, currently working on the Virgin Media project.

Basic salary is shiote though (£18k), but there is enourmous oppurtunity to further my career within the company, and plenty scope to work anywhere in the world.

As for those who want to start there own business, its pretty easy tbh, I was a sole trader for 4 years with about 10~15 sole trader sub contracters working for me.

[Edited on 04-08-2011 by CarbonMike]

openreach pay £26k for basic engineers
CarbonMike

4th Aug 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

openreach pay £26k for basic engineers

Not what the ex BT guys I work with tole me lol and there opinion of Open Reach wasnt very high either lol but, makes no odds to me as Im moving towards Master Tech type stuff which is just under £27k IIRC.
taylorboosh

4th Aug 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the lads who do what i do are on £26k basic and mine is standard line from frame to end user piece of piss...

tougher jobs like private wire engineers are on £32k+

ohhh i think theyre good to work for
CarbonMike

4th Aug 11 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d

I mean I cant really comment as such, as never worked for them, nor probably ever will (get waaaaaaaaaaay to many perks from Fujitsu) but all the ex engineers Ive spoke to reckon they were shit to work for?
mattk

4th Aug 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plumber, really good dough at the min, still hate it though, it bores the absolute socks off me

Id like to be a sound engineer of some sort
AlunJ

4th Aug 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am a stations support officer for Arriva Trains, basically I'm my bosses bitch
I'd rather like to be a train driver, and then I want to move on to teaching/training train drivers.

As it happens there is a secondment at the moment to be a driver trainer... only problem is I'm not a qualified driver in the first place

[Edited on 04-08-2011 by AlunJ]
taylorboosh

4th Aug 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CarbonMike
quote:
Originally posted by john-d

I mean I cant really comment as such, as never worked for them, nor probably ever will (get waaaaaaaaaaay to many perks from Fujitsu) but all the ex engineers Ive spoke to reckon they were shit to work for?

nah, good sharesaves, overtime available, not too much pressure although there is some, not slave drivers by any means?

i think alot of the older bt engineers want the job to be what it was before it was privatised

perks like what?
antnee

4th Aug 11 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Summer job is at Sainsburys, its shit, 9 days till I hand my notice in!

The degree Im doing (Motorsport Eng BEng) should hopefully lead me into a decent sized team, wouldn't mind working for a team for a while, then setting up my own place building, running and repairing race cars, maybe dabble a bit into fast road/track day for extra pennies.
CarbonMike

4th Aug 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
nah, good sharesaves, overtime available, not too much pressure although there is some, not slave drivers by any means?

i think alot of the older bt engineers want the job to be what it was before it was privatised

perks like what?

Ah same kinda thing here, Monday is overtime, 6 calls a day etc Tuesday to Sat (which can be a pain).

I get a fuel card & van (like everywhere, but dont get hammered on tax for having a company vehicle like some firms) every last tool supplied for no charge (like everywhere else) whatever I pay in my work pension they double an pay in (eg, If I pay in 3%, they pay in 6% = totaling 9% per input annum) top whack viring package for £12 p/m, 50% discount on Virgin Group stuff (flights, holidays, cruise liner, V fest etc) TBC discount off Jitsu electronic, Netgear & some other stuff etc etc. Bonus schemes, sharesaves blah blah all kinds of shit I dont even know about really
Simon

4th Aug 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trainee architect, in my 6th year out of 7
taylorboosh

4th Aug 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very similar mate..

van + fuel card with no extra tax
all toolsand consumables supplied
same pension but it comes off before tax
free bt broadband and vision
loads of discounts on various sites
share saves
lots of overtime with prizes for doing so at the minute

and the important thing is 3 calls a day will keep you near the top of performance charts
Marc

4th Aug 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Customer services at Nestle Nespresso. Beginning to hate it actually! I may as well be on a complaints line!

Still, beats being a welder and the time I spent at Norwich Union!

Never had any real career aspirations as such, always used to be in to drawing when I was younger but didn't want to pursue it at college at 5 years at school! Also used to love playing games on my Amiga, but always knew I didn't have the brains to go in to anything like game design!

Wouldn't mind doing a job that involves training others, I sometimes feel that is what I do now!
Paul_J

4th Aug 11 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Software developer at a financial software consultancy.

Would like to move closer to the money / investment banking.

Ultimately long term goal is my own start up and building a product / company I'm passionate about
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
4th Aug 11 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Wouldn't mind doing a job that involves training others, I sometimes feel that is what I do now!

If you want to teach customer services training and fancy a few days in Liverpool I'll let you know if that venture ever comes off at this end.

[Edited on 04-08-2011 by Ian]
RCoughtrie

4th Aug 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Painter and Decorator with a house builder

Looking at the people who have been in the job for 30+ years and really dont want to be "stuck" like that would like to progress in firm but have applyed for strathclyde police this year so will see how far i get.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's your job and what job what would you prefer? 23 database queries in 0.0160780 seconds