corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The M5 has gone....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The M5 has gone....
Nath

User status: Offline
31st Aug 11 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
He didn't say he can't afford it. He said he can't justify it. Different things.

Symantics!

Either way if there is the disposable income available and you like something enough you'd keep it..

Are you kidding? This is a guy who has also owned a TVR, RS6, and the M5. I'm pretty sure he CAN afford it. Just doesnt want to.

No Nath, that means he cant afford to. Davey has spoken.

Ah shit yeah, good point
R Lee

31st Aug 11 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm telling you...

A new car is nigh
Stu

31st Aug 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know I say it everytime but this is a recurring story on Corsa Sport, buy a nice new expensive car and then not be able to afford to run it.

I wouldnt say thats the case, Ive gone from a TVR to an RS6 to an M5 in my last three cars, I know the running costs of vehicles like these but my priorities in life have changed now I think? Its not like I went out and bought an expensive car without knowing the running costs behind them. I just dont feel the passion for cars that I used to and I just cant justify having a car like that sat there tying up money when it isnt really putting a smile on my face. It had become more of a burden than a joy I'm afraid

The money Im "wasting" having an M5 sat around doing very little is best in places that give me a bit more pleasure I reckon?
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bet Stu has infinity fishing gear
DaveyLC

31st Aug 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Are you kidding? This is a guy who has also owned a TVR, RS6, and the M5. I'm pretty sure he CAN afford it. Just doesnt want to.

Looking at the figures he's posted the running costs are around £5000-6000 / year which is around £20/working day.. I would assume thats a atleast an hours wages if he can afford the car.. so working one hour in a day for something you love surely thats an acceptable sacrifice?
DaveyLC

31st Aug 11 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu

The money Im "wasting" having an M5 sat around doing very little is best in places that give me a bit more pleasure I reckon?

Sat around doing nothing and its costing you £80/week in fuel?? I think it might have a leaky fuel tank
James

31st Aug 11 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Looking at the figures he's posted the running costs are around £5000-6000 / year which is around £20/working day.. I would assume thats a atleast an hours wages if he can afford the car.. so working one hour in a day for something you love surely thats an acceptable sacrifice?

I think however rich I was, I'd have to think twice if an hour a day's worth of my salary was going on running a car.
Stu

31st Aug 11 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i bet Stu has infinity fishing gear

Haha! Ive got a right mish mash of gear yknow! Love my 12.75ft 3.25lb Fox Horizon Titanium rods though, wont change them!

Stu

31st Aug 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
for something you love

See, that may be where the problem lies yknow!

Im just not into cars as much as I used to be and funnily enough for me the better the cars Ive had the less Ive felt connected if you know what I mean!? I cant do much with the M5, I cant tinker or add stuff really and to be honest I dont have the time anymore Its sad but things change I guess?

DaveyLC

31st Aug 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
for something you love

See, that may be where the problem lies yknow!

Im just not into cars as much as I used to be and funnily enough for me the better the cars Ive had the less Ive felt connected if you know what I mean!? I cant do much with the M5, I cant tinker or add stuff really and to be honest I dont have the time anymore Its sad but things change I guess?

Sounds like life's priorities have changed.. Why not buy something older but just as special, reliability wont be that much fo an issue if you dont drive it very offten and I'll bet you get far more enjoyment out of it

You say you can't justify the cost but buying a high value car, keeping it ten minutes and then selling it on generally looses you more money than running the thing in the first place
Stu

31st Aug 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stu

Sat around doing nothing and its costing you £80/week in fuel?? I think it might have a leaky fuel tank

I know but its crazy how much fuel it uses but I seem to use at least a tank full a week, breaks my heart too cos its not even getting its head kicked in like it should be!
jr

31st Aug 11 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know I say it everytime but this is a recurring story on Corsa Sport, buy a nice new expensive car and then not be able to afford to run it.

i dont think stu can be classed quite in that catagory
_Allan_

31st Aug 11 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stu ffs just get with Davey next time you wish to buy a new car.
Keep it off the Corsa forum eh?
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no love in owning a new car, you are buying a finished product, thats why people get bored.

I don't know if you like to work on cars yourself, but thats where the love of cars is to be found imo.

of course everyone wants the newish fastest thing, but when you get there i would say most people aren't as satisfyed as they thought they would be.
DaveyLC

31st Aug 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't know if you like to work on cars yourself, but thats where the love of cars is to be found imo.

I think this is something that you enjoy when you are younger, when you have less resoponsibility and therefore a lot more time on your hands Once the burden of running a home looms over your head you tend to find more "important" things to fill your spare time
Gareth T

31st Aug 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The m5 was a lovely car you had. At least you can say you've owned one and have moved onto something else. I just wish I could get something like that in the future.
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I think this is something that you enjoy when you are younger, when you have less resoponsibility and therefore a lot more time on your hands Once the burden of running a home looms over your head you tend to find more "important" things to fill your spare time

well i think those type of people should just admit defeat and go and buy a saab or something
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

too busy with football, the pub and watching motorsports on tv
Jambo

31st Aug 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Money in th bank is better than a depreciating asset that's fo sho. I hate Saabs though sorry That said the estate is the only one I would consider as the rear end with the clear lights is pretty modern and smart
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a car thats an investment and due to go up in value, then you can justify not using it.

John

31st Aug 11 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When will you do that Jim?
Jake

31st Aug 11 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what reasonably affordable car is worth keeping as an investment these days?

[Edited on 31-08-2011 by Jake]
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
When will you do that Jim?

i agree, i know the corrado isn't going to shoot up in value, it just depriciates a bit slower.

Corrado has no heritage behind it to make it valueable imo, can't think of any races/events its won
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
what reasonably affordable car is worth keeping as an investment these days?

[Edited on 31-08-2011 by Jake]

audi quattro
E30 M3
Lancia Intergrale

although probably already gone up in value tbh.

mk2 golf gti in oak green
Graham88

31st Aug 11 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I think however rich I was, I'd have to think twice if an hour a day's worth of my salary was going on running a car.

I reckon I spend half my daily wages on running/modifying my car, but then I live at home and it's my hobby if you like, so not just a mode of transport like a car is too many people

I can see why you sold it Stu, mine costs me a fortune to run and if I wasn't using it I would sell it straight away, house is much better to put money into

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The M5 has gone.... 22 database queries in 0.0117331 seconds