corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E90 335i vs E90 M3

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E90 335i vs E90 M3
SetH

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 11 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for comments so far. Pretty much what I expected about the M being the clear 'drivers choice'

Can anyone come up with a list of tech specs for M3 to illustrate effectively what the M division are giving you?

Guess I could search but someone might have it to hand or bookmarked
Tomnova16
Premium Member

3rd Oct 11 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

second sentence at top of page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Eddx14xe

3rd Oct 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No im not, i should of worded it better though.

We both agree that an 335 with a remap will keep up with an M3, atleast in a straight line. BUT is the rest of the car, the handling, performance, looks, road presence, the fact you can say 'i drive an M3' really worth the extra 10k.

I dont disagree that the M3 will be the better car, but is it worth the extra £1000's.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

3rd Oct 11 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say it is worth the extra £10k yes

if you were to add up the price of all the upgrades an m3 has over a standard msport it would go well over the £10k mark not including the carbon roof

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
BarnshaW

3rd Oct 11 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have drove a 335I and it was alright i guess, was not mapped but was not overly excited with it. was smooth and effortless as said and had a nice noise to it
Jambo

3rd Oct 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two completely different cars. Worlds apart.

I quite fancy a 335i in the future, great all-round package.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Oct 11 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being cynical, I would put a lot of the differentiation down to marketing.

I would guess the M3 drives better but probably only £10k better if you put stupid wanky slashes before the letter M and consider the M3 a different car because the guy gets stuff out of a box with stripes on when it comes down the production line with all the others.
corsa-sxi

4th Oct 11 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3233548.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3211751.htm

under £13k
davcohen

4th Oct 11 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having never driven an M3 (e90) I cant comment but I have driven many 335's and they are very capable rides if anything slightly more usable then the M3s in every day situations..... however I can only imagine that the M3 is much more capable if you want a harsher ride and enjoy taking your car on track

my pick would be a 335xi the grip levels are amazing
atz_49

4th Oct 11 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As mentioned, why use a pic of a grey SE spec 335i? At least use a pic of a proper M-Sport 335i in a decent colour!
whitter45

4th Oct 11 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I would guess the M3 drives better but probably only £10k better if you put stupid wanky slashes before the letter M and consider the M3 a different car because the guy gets stuff out of a box with stripes on when it comes down the production line with all the others.

Oh dear
adiohead

4th Oct 11 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davcohen

I've never heard of the xi!

Want want want!
BarnshaW

4th Oct 11 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can see this thread and /// being thrown everywhere ,like / \ \\ /\ \/ /
mwg

4th Oct 11 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:

Want want want!

4wd, not available in the UK so not sure why he mentioned it
John

4th Oct 11 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Oh dear

You are exactly who Ian is describing and your parts didn't even come out of the stripy box, apart from the MSPORT badge.
whitter45

4th Oct 11 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Oh dear

You are exactly who Ian is describing and your parts didn't even come out of the stripy box, apart from the MSPORT badge.

how do you work that out

M3 mechanics are completely different to normal MSPORT cars hence the price difference.

I haven't mentioned my car - I am the first to admit MSPORT gives visual change only i.e lowered suspension different aero kit etc - no performance related items

Same as Audi with Sline and Mercedes with Sports trim

I do not see your point to be honest

Colin

4th Oct 11 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by atz_49
As mentioned, why use a pic of a grey SE spec 335i? At least use a pic of a proper M-Sport 335i in a decent colour!

Why I used a standard trim M3, not a competition or edition model
adiohead

4th Oct 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:

Want want want!

4wd, not available in the UK so not sure why he mentioned it

awww man. I want a decent 4wd car
Fad

4th Oct 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Hmmmm synical as you are there differences are a little more than you think,

High reving tuned throttle boddied V8 vs smaller displacement stright 6 twin turbo
Wider track and differenct suspension set up vs the same set up throughout the range
M3 only car in the 3 Series ranged fitted with slip diff
M3 has Different rack and steering arms/roll bars geo and adjustability to other set ups in the range
M3 has Big Brakes all round vs Stock caliper set up throughout the range, m3 brakes use kinetic energy from the brakes to power stuff and get better MPG hence driving down emissions, overall the more technologically advanced car.
M3 has different rear beam to accomodate wider rear track and stiffer bush set uip
M3 spec wise is high as standard
M3 Bodywork completely different shares no body parts with other models (wider arches, deeper bumpers etc etc)

The only reason I know this is because I looked into fitting the M3 control arms, swy bars and suspension bushings to mine. Overall the general consensus is the car feels more focused and is less comprimised to being a conmfort/touring model. Manufcturing a model which has bespoke elements in a lot less volume than other models will cost more its not rocket science is it?

Make of it what you will but they dont hold the market in this sector for no reason.

[Edited on 04-10-2011 by Fad]
Jambo

4th Oct 11 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup marketing.

The proposal manager at BMw said they needed more cash so grabbed a 335i but a different engine in and added some plastic bumpers and some "wanky" slashes then charge and extra £10k.

Yup, thats how they sell thousands per year worldwide.

mwg

4th Oct 11 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They kind of did do that with the X5M and X6M TBF
atz_49

4th Oct 11 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by atz_49

Why I used a standard trim M3, not a competition or edition model

Stop being pedantic. The comparison was between an M3 and a 335i, it's fairly obvious that it's the M Sport model that would be the one in question. There are also many more M-Sport 335i's around than SE's so surely the former should be the de facto choice for picture comparisons?

You chose that picture deliberately to try and emphasise a point. Face up to it, move on. Next please.
Graham88

5th Oct 11 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Hmmmm synical as you are there differences are a little more than you think,

High reving tuned throttle boddied V8 vs smaller displacement stright 6 twin turbo
Wider track and differenct suspension set up vs the same set up throughout the range
M3 only car in the 3 Series ranged fitted with slip diff
M3 has Different rack and steering arms/roll bars geo and adjustability to other set ups in the range
M3 has Big Brakes all round vs Stock caliper set up throughout the range, m3 brakes use kinetic energy from the brakes to power stuff and get better MPG hence driving down emissions, overall the more technologically advanced car.
M3 has different rear beam to accomodate wider rear track and stiffer bush set uip
M3 spec wise is high as standard
M3 Bodywork completely different shares no body parts with other models (wider arches, deeper bumpers etc etc)

The only reason I know this is because I looked into fitting the M3 control arms, swy bars and suspension bushings to mine. Overall the general consensus is the car feels more focused and is less comprimised to being a conmfort/touring model. Manufcturing a model which has bespoke elements in a lot less volume than other models will cost more its not rocket science is it?

Make of it what you will but they dont hold the market in this sector for no reason.

Quite a few interesting things there actually. Especially the kinetic energy part
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Oct 11 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I appreciate the M3 is a higher spec car, better engine, wider track, LSD, better brakes, whatever and that is where a lot of the money goes.

That wasn't my point.

My point was that if it was called a 340 and had that stuff it wouldn't be possible to talk about it like it's something magical and entirely differentiated from the rest of the range.

Facts are the regular 3 series is a great car as well and in addition to a great spec with a great many changes, the M3 must also have some bullshit factored in to its design in order to please people who think it's somehow not just another car with some parts.

The very fact the M brand exists is testament to what I'm saying. It's just essentially a team of people with a specific focus. Same as there are staff dedicated to diesel technology, staff dedicated to user interface on the trip computer, staff dedicated to making sure they all tow trailers safely.

But you can't put wanky slashes before any of those things
Eck
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 340 wouldn't be built by the M Division away from other models though. I do agree, those slashes alone would add money. But then, doesn't any badge with special heritage. The M badge to me has always stood for a pure drivers car. The fact that each and every one has been raved about comes as no surprise.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E90 335i vs E90 M3 23 database queries in 0.0163510 seconds