corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Would you take a pay cut?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would you take a pay cut?
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
25th Nov 11 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id stick with russ... if you get made redundant move abroad for work
gtitim

25th Nov 11 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One big thing is cost of living - if you were to be based Marham / Conningsby, then the cost of living is low. A 2 bed house here is around £90-110k, and general living costs are relatively low. Average wage in this area is £6-7 per hr and house prices reflect this. I am not on much over £26k, the OH alot less, yet we run two cars, house, kids, pets, and have quality of life.

Obviously dropping that much will have a massive impact on disposable income, but as others have said, losing £1k a month take home is better than being unemployed. Of course you may end up staying and keeping your current salary, but you could end up not. Hard decision to make.

My Step-dad has been in the Middle East since 1998, as a former RAF airframe / propulsion technician. He is in Saudi on 50K+, with accomodation, free flights home, etc etc. Just finished building a 5 bed villa in Thailand for his retirement, all tax free. He has a Monaro and a Fireblade, and loves life. Hard being away but the money is nice.

[Edited on 25-11-2011 by gtitim]
Russ

25th Nov 11 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother in law keeps on about doing Saudi for 5 years to clear his mortgage
ed

25th Nov 11 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you work in Civil Aviation? I think Rolls, Goodrich and AEC are expanding at the moment as the 787 nears completion.
Ben G

25th Nov 11 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold out because we will be going to war with iran soon.
Russ

25th Nov 11 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can't see us losing many jets to them, i'll be honest
Ben G

25th Nov 11 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they have nuclear warheads mate.
Budgie

25th Nov 11 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BAE is one of our biggest customers and they've just spent a fair bit of money on their new network system.

But 18k cut is a fair bit of money not be getting yearly. however much you get.
atz_49

25th Nov 11 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 40% pay cut together with having to relocate?

Even in the current climate, there's no way on this earth I'd be accepting that.

If you're confident in your abilities, hold out.
James

25th Nov 11 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't accept that. I don't think i'd accept the paycut alone, let alone with relocation too.

Having said that, I would imagine jobs that offer the kind of money you are on are probably not that common up north so that's another thing to consider.

If they are making 150 odd people redundant, that's 150 people to flood the jobs market in that area.

I would be on the job sites ASAP looking for an alternative.
bigboykarl

25th Nov 11 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
One big thing is cost of living - if you were to be based Marham / Conningsby, then the cost of living is low. A 2 bed house here is around £90-110k, and general living costs are relatively low. Average wage in this area is £6-7 per hr and house prices reflect this. I am not on much over £26k, the OH alot less, yet we run two cars, house, kids, pets, and have quality of life.

Obviously dropping that much will have a massive impact on disposable income, but as others have said, losing £1k a month take home is better than being unemployed. Of course you may end up staying and keeping your current salary, but you could end up not. Hard decision to make.

My Step-dad has been in the Middle East since 1998, as a former RAF airframe / propulsion technician. He is in Saudi on 50K+, with accomodation, free flights home, etc etc. Just finished building a 5 bed villa in Thailand for his retirement, all tax free. He has a Monaro and a Fireblade, and loves life. Hard being away but the money is nice.

[Edited on 25-11-2011 by gtitim]

i bet yr step dad knows my uncle (sgt alan shepherd) he worked at conningsby as a propulsion tech and went to saudi as well
bigboykarl

25th Nov 11 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd take redundancy and look for another job..surely with liverpool/blackpool/manchester and leeds bradford airports within travelling distance there must be some commercial work for you
Ste
Premium Member

25th Nov 11 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The jobs they are offering are all over the place tbh. Mainly Marham. The first thing our union did was tell the company to get rid of sub contractors and make jobs for us so that opened up 150 jobs and they expect that to increase to 500 over the next few years as the Saudi jets start needing depth maintenance.

I really dislike the idea of uprooting and moving hundreds of miles away to Norfolk!

There are 20 jobs at BAe Australia. The company pays all your fees and moving costs etc. Again, massive commitment for the family.

I know I can walk into most aeronautic jobs as i have quite a big skill set. as well as electronic and avionic specialties on military aircraft I have experience on high speed fibre optic bus analysis and most military databus standards. Loom building, end make off and testing.

My main thoughts right now are to stick it out and see what happens. I know a fair few lazy, works shy and people who are always off sick so hopefully the system will get rid of those first, but you know how big companies work, they're the ones who get the promotions!

There are contracting jobs out there, but again, it's all over the place and with no job security.

I bet I could get a job on an F1 team on their electrics as they use mil-spec wire and connectors

anyone got ron dennis's number

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Dom

25th Nov 11 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
I bet I could get a job on an F1 team on their electrics as they use mil-spec wire and connectors

On a serious note have a look at Racestaff.com and obviously keep an eye out the teams career websites. McLaren would probably be the one to keep tabs on as they do majority of FIA standard electronics (ECU etc).
Ste
Premium Member

25th Nov 11 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers blud

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Whittie

25th Nov 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus Ste, thats massive.

I'd definately risk it, and see if you get kept on. With your CV you could get another job over £24k a year i'm sure??

Is there anyone to sleep with in the HR department to let you know if you're on the list or not?
Russ

25th Nov 11 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to Oz!
Dean_W

25th Nov 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
The jobs they are offering are all over the place tbh. Mainly Marham.

I work at the CMU at Marham as an armourer. This is where you'd end up if you went down here. I'm originally from the North West, just other side of Runcorn to you, and i love the place.

I would no way take that cut......but.....you say about cost of living and stuff. Yes, down here is cheap to live. The place is absolutley shit!!! Nothing to do, everything is very sparse and spaced out. It is by far THE worst place i have ever lived. I would never, ever bring up a family round here.

There is my input
taylorboosh

25th Nov 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate, you sound like you love your life
Dave

25th Nov 11 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd gamble and wait for the cuts. How long have you worked there? I'd imagine it would be a pretty generous redundancy package if you have been there a few years.

Do you know how they are choosing who gets made redundant? At my old firm it was a points system based on length of service, range of skills, any disciplinary action and two other things I can't remember. Based on them I knew I was safe compared to who i was up against but it was a much smaller firm and the whole lot went tits up 12 months later!
Rick Draper

25th Nov 11 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they offering you a redeployment payment? When I was redeployed I had my basic pay protected and was given either a fuel allowance for 24 months or a contribution towards moving.
Dean_W

25th Nov 11 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
Mate, you sound like you love your life

You don't even know the half of it lad. Love my life, yes. Love where i live now, NOPE.....
Russ

25th Nov 11 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he wouldnt have to live at marham though, could easily live in dereham and have shit to do, and be 30 mins from norwich, not that anyone would want to live in dereham either
Dean_W

25th Nov 11 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
not that anyone would want to live in dereham either

Yeah i know Russ. I don't live at Marham either. The point i was making is this part of the country is soooo different from the north west it's unbelievable.
Russ

25th Nov 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Norfolk is lovely, if you want night life, you need to be in norwich though

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Would you take a pay cut? 23 database queries in 0.0172732 seconds