corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » strikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author strikes
Russ

User status: Offline
26th Nov 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave
quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
From a teachers point of view (my mum) she is strongly against the proposition of working until 68. I fully agree with her too. She is 56 now and is ready for retirement from teaching already. Its all well and true for these politicians deciding to put the numbers of working years until retirement up when they have no idea about how much the every day ins and outs take their toll on people.

Absolutely, I can see how working 7hr days with 10 weeks paid holiday every year would wear anyone out.

People need to get a grip here, people are living for longer, therefor need to work longer to pay for it. Public sector workers like police retiring in their 50's is ridiculous, they've then got probably 30-40 years where the state has to look after them. How anyone thinks this is suistainable is beyond me, especially as the percentage of people in public sector work soared under the last government.

It's time for Cameron to remember he is a Tory. Slash the wasteful public sector, bring the unions back in line and provide the environment for the private sector to get people back into work and creating growth for the economy.
Shell
Premium Member

26th Nov 11 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave, in the vein of thought, whilst we slash the public sector will we make the nhs private? And how do you propose we cut the number of police officers? Or continue to cut the MOD jobs? I guarantee you'd be one of the first moaning when we were no longer able to defend our country in a crisis, or you suddenly needed surgery that costs hundreds of thousand that your medical insurance wouldn't cover. Or better yet, all your belongings get stolen because there is no one left to enforce the law. Look beyond the end of your nose!

Yours sincerely, the most miserable c**t on CS.
gtitim

26th Nov 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Police are looking at a 2yr pay freeze on increments, as well as no inflation based payrise. We are also having to increase our pension contribution from 9.5% of wages to upto 14%. I have to work a 35yr contract meaning i will not retire until i am 61 as a minimum. I also am facing overtime cuts. Often our job necessitates overtime having to deal with victims, prisoners, urgent incidents. We are looking at losing £1000s per year. I stand to lose around £5000 over the next two years.

Ask yourselves this - would you do the job the Police do for under £30k? In recent weeks I have seen colleagues attacked, bitten by dogs, rammed by criminals, punched, kicked, spat at and generally abused - by the public. Knowing what I know now, I would seriously question applying for the job again. However, I do it, and enjoy it as much as possible. The pay scale does not reflect the type of work we do. When you are moaning no-one has found who nicked your stereo, or robbed your gran etc etc then blame the government for cutting Police funding and numbers.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by gtitim]
Russ

26th Nov 11 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think you need to ask yourself, would you earn 12k a year?

i'd be a copper/fireman for their money
Russ

26th Nov 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd sooner the money that was wasted on being in the EU and money wasted on accepting immigrants were stopped, that'd save billions a year
mattk

26th Nov 11 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People do worse jobs for 30k a year, people do better jobs for 30k a year, I respect people for being police officers because Im not the sort of person that could put up with the rules and procedures you do. I quickly lose respect when they start bitching about it.

you are on a pay freeze. so what? just because the cost of living goes up doesnt mean you are entitled to more wages, who the fuck can pay for that?

keep your job on less money, or have less officers on more pay.
gtitim

26th Nov 11 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or as it actually is - less officers, less pay.

Whilst all the public sector are going out on strike on wednesday, we carry on. We have no right to strike. We have no effective way to protest about our pay or conditions. Fire brigade can strike, and have, NHS can and have, even the prison service can strike. Police cannot - we rely on our Federation to represent us and fight our corner.

I love my job, and will keep doing it. Like everyone else, I do not want to lose money, when the cost of living is rising, my wages are not, and my pension contribution is up another 5% of my salary - £1500 per year less i get. I also believe there are better ways this government could spend our money, but have to put up with them destroying our economy
Steve
Premium Member

26th Nov 11 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always someone willing to do your work for your wage
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
Dave, in the vein of thought, whilst we slash the public sector will we make the nhs private? And how do you propose we cut the number of police officers? Or continue to cut the MOD jobs? I guarantee you'd be one of the first moaning when we were no longer able to defend our country in a crisis, or you suddenly needed surgery that costs hundreds of thousand that your medical insurance wouldn't cover. Or better yet, all your belongings get stolen because there is no one left to enforce the law. Look beyond the end of your nose!

Yours sincerely, the most miserable c**t on CS.

At no time did I propose, to borrow a politicians favourite phrase, cuts to frontline public services. As a nation we should be very proud of our NHS but from my recent experiences of it it is very broken. As an outsider it's impossible for me to give reasons for this, I'm sure you have a more informed opinion.

Likewise we have an obvious need for police, teachers, firemen etc etc but their working conditions need to mirror those of the private sector. Moaning because you aren't going to be able to retire until at least 61? The last time I looked the retirement age was 65. My dad will be 60 next year and has spent his entire working life in the construction industry, he has a good standard of living now but I can't see him stopping at 65, I would imagine he'll work on for another 5 years or so to better fund his retirement.

What I do see is massive waste in other areas. My son has just started primary school and, at a relatively small village school, every class has a teaching assistant(who are also strking next week) alongside the regular teacher. Where is the money for this coming from? I don't remember a single teaching assistant from my primary school days so why do we need them now?

There are so many people employed by the state who are stealing a wage every week, a whole army of non jobs created to artificially lower unemployment rates without any thought to how we pay for them in the long run.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by CorsaDave]
LeeM

26th Nov 11 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking annoying. these people applied for jobs, and signed a contract saying they will do this job and get paid an agreed wage for it.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Nov 11 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
CorsaDave, I love you.

Public sectors full of fucking joke jobs that are not needed.

Sack the lot of them

This.

How does anyone have the ordasity (sp) to strike when therr are so many people unemployed. Selfish cunts imo.

They also don't seem to understand that they are costing the uk a fortune on Wednesday so have even less chance of getting what they want.

Should be illegal to strike!
LeeM

26th Nov 11 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should be able to sack someone if they go on strike
John

26th Nov 11 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
Police are looking at a 2yr pay freeze on increments, as well as no inflation based payrise. We are also having to increase our pension contribution from 9.5% of wages to upto 14%. I have to work a 35yr contract meaning i will not retire until i am 61 as a minimum. I also am facing overtime cuts. Often our job necessitates overtime having to deal with victims, prisoners, urgent incidents. We are looking at losing £1000s per year. I stand to lose around £5000 over the next two years.

Ask yourselves this - would you do the job the Police do for under £30k? In recent weeks I have seen colleagues attacked, bitten by dogs, rammed by criminals, punched, kicked, spat at and generally abused - by the public. Knowing what I know now, I would seriously question applying for the job again. However, I do it, and enjoy it as much as possible. The pay scale does not reflect the type of work we do. When you are moaning no-one has found who nicked your stereo, or robbed your gran etc etc then blame the government for cutting Police funding and numbers.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by gtitim]

Bollocks.

99% of police wouldn't be able to get anywhere near that as a salary in any other job so they should be happy with whatever they get.
Dave

26th Nov 11 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My partners sister was a copper, she has just taken a year off to work as a childminder for her older sister's two kids, knowing she has her job to go back to.
She worked on the riot vans doing drug busts, football games etc but a couple of years ago had knee problems, unrelated to work, that needed an operation. She was off work for at least 6 months, on full pay, then because she wasn't deemed fit enough to do her previous role went back to do desk work dealing with drug offenders then back to being a PC but some sort of team leader.

Show me a private sector employer where you have those sort of perks?
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bt openreach... lad i know had an operation and needed a shit bag, can no longer climb poles because the harness interferes he had full sick pay untill return to work then he now works in stores...

i get just as good a pension as public too

depends who you work for

my main gripe with the nhs is the fact scotland and wales get free dental and prescriptions and we dont wtf
Gary
Premium Member

26th Nov 11 at 19:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Public sector have had it too good for too long. Need telling how it is!

Like it or fuck off and find another job!
John

26th Nov 11 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT are a law unto themselves, they can provide all of that because they charge a lot of money for all their services yet don't seem to be accountable to anyone for being particularly bad at most of it.
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont see how you can say they charge a fortune? Dont like bt use sky or talktalk.
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id also say in regards to bad service.. a huge proporsion of broadband faults arent openreaches fault, mostly user error or the service provider they use setting stuff up wrong on a software level
John

26th Nov 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends if LLU is available or if you are stuck with some terrible BT wholesale service.

When it is your fault it's a joke trying to get it fixed, especially an intermittent fault.

Even worse is when there is a fault, BT engineer goes out and it suddenly starts working without them touching anything in the premises, yet the engineer says it was customer equipment, that's just outright lying.
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the customers equipment is unplugged and the line is then fine, it stands to reason its customers equipment...

Intermittent faults are nightmares.. how can i as an engineer fix a fault if i cant see it on my equipment or hear it on the line? Chasing shadows springs to mind

Dont see how you think its a joke getting things fixed when its our fault? If the line tests faulty a engineer will come out and if pit turns out our fault its free

Aswell
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should also note from my point of view it makes no differance if your with sky, talktalk, virgin ect or bt.. same rules apply line needs fixing to the same standard
John

26th Nov 11 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't expect a BT engineer to understand anything about it tbh.

I know intermittent faults are nightmares but I always give more than enough information and they still make a mess of it.
taylorboosh

26th Nov 11 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They really are very hard to find sometimes
Dom

26th Nov 11 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I wouldn't expect a BT engineer to understand anything about it tbh.

I know intermittent faults are nightmares but I always give more than enough information and they still make a mess of it.

Problem is you go through a chain of people and by the time it reaches the engineer, they tend to have naff all to go on. I've seen it happen a few times with NTL engineers, it was easier just to pop to the cabinet and have a word

Saying that, back when i worked at an ISP (years ago, before LLU/ADSL2) it was a complete ballache getting BT to deal with line faults. It'd take days before we ever knew what the fuck was actually happening

Edit - Back on topic, i agree with CorsaDave to an extent and I've worked in the public sector. Big issue i have is the fact they literally spunk money, nine out of tens time on shite or stupidly expensive contracts.

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by Dom]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » strikes 22 database queries in 0.0168171 seconds