corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New MOT rules?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New MOT rules?
Bam4d

User status: Offline
8th Dec 11 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup means i needa get summat sorted with my bucket seats
Steve
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

luckily my buckets are adjustable
pow
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do they know if I had one in the first place?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computer will tell them
baza31

8th Dec 11 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cat one will not stand . Pc software isn't changing there is no information on how many cats are on. If emissions are ok it will pass. Alot of ones on that list exist already anyhow. Also all gas converted cars need leak checking on all joints .
Steve
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but its blatantly obvious a 55 reg car for example will have left the factory with a cat, no?
Mattb

8th Dec 11 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Drivers seat being adjustable will affect some folk. Bit of a gay rule really.

no because the actual failure is not adjusting as intended or locking into postion - which means if there is no adjustment it cannot be tested and therefore not failed
Mattb

8th Dec 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yes but its blatantly obvious a 55 reg car for example will have left the factory with a cat, no?

ALL vehicles sold after july 1992 on were fitted with a CAT by law - the mot handbook says any vehicle subject to a CAT test for emmisions needs a cat - not having one will fail
Steve
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kinda what i was thinking
Mattb

8th Dec 11 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did post the inspection manual a few months ago - it has all the info in..

the thing with MOT is that you need to look at the wording of the failures / advisories carefully - they can often be misinterperated

as for the airbag thing - iirc the faulire is an airbag missing when one was KNOWN to be fitted as standard - its going to be difficult to prove that so i see no problem in removing it and taking the bulb out
pow
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Mazda is a 1991 car (thus no legal requirement to have one fitted) that I removed the CAT from... so will it pass or fail? It passed the MOT this time round without one as it is tested to the 'upper limits'

[Edited on 08-12-2011 by pow]
Mattb

8th Dec 11 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it isnt subject to a full CAT test at MOT then it should not fail for the cat being removed - just plead ignorance and say it never had one...
AlexW

8th Dec 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
The Mazda is a 1991 car (thus no legal requirement to have one fitted) that I removed the CAT from... so will it pass or fail? It passed the MOT this time round without one as it is tested to the 'upper limits'

It would be put on a pre-cat test, as per a carb nova for instance
Matty_White

8th Dec 11 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you need a spare wheel? also would it fail if you cant open the boot?
AlexW

8th Dec 11 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some cars dont have a spare wheel from factory (Ok they normally have a pump/sealing stuff)
Fonz
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
Was always under the impression 'If its not there it cant be tested'

this is the theory i have always worked to

quote:
Originally posted by pow

my '93 MX5 (K Reg) has a "Sports Cat" (see MX5 parts Cat) which fails the Cat emissions test.

although it was registered in 1993 (K reg issued from 1st Aug 1992- 31st July 1993) when i showed it was a pre-Aug '93 registered they agreed it doesn't need one.

IIRC in my research all cars registered from Aug 1993 require cats, a K reg motor registered before Aug 1993 does not fall under these regs

Nic Barnes

9th Dec 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the drivers chair being adjustable will mean people with fixed buckets will fail. odd. i dont see why it matters to anyone other than the driver of the car where the seat is in relation to the wheel and pedals? unless it refers to cars with back seats maybe?
baza31

9th Dec 11 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

ALL vehicles sold after july 1992 on were fitted with a CAT by law - the mot handbook says any vehicle subject to a CAT test for emmisions needs a cat - not having one will fail

some cars have 3 , you can remove one even two some times and still get emmision levels thus passing
tom130691
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty_White
do you need a spare wheel? also would it fail if you cant open the boot?

rear wiper to pop boot and a false floor with a strut brace makes it impossible for an mot tester to get to my spare wheel
Eddx14xe

9th Dec 11 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont need a spare wheel to pass an MOT if you either have run flat tyres or some tyre weld in your car.
SportBoy

9th Dec 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont need a spare at all regardless.
John

9th Dec 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need a spare wheel to pass an mot at all surely?
Mattb

10th Dec 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no - the spare is not looked at - it doesnt matter what condition its in or if its even there

Yes the boot has to open - its not actually a failure but is a reason to refuse to test a vehicle - you need access to the boot area to check floor and suspension turrets for corrosion etc....
Sean

10th Dec 11 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only time we ever look at spare is of one of the tyres on the car is shagged and the spare is a possibility to get it through the mot.
Stuart H

10th Dec 11 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I worked for Peugeot a car would fail if the spare was fucked , but wouldn't fail if it wasn't there

Edit: although going by this they were robbing people for things that shouldnt fail lol.

Tyres and wheels
Condition, security, tyre size and type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected. Note: vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 - check of the MIL for tyre pressure monitoring.

[Edited on 10-12-2011 by Stuart H]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New MOT rules? 22 database queries in 0.0161738 seconds