corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London Tube Drivers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author London Tube Drivers
Graham88

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 11 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
And exactly how many tube trains have derailed in the last 10 years causing massive injury or death?
Last death of a driver, was 1984, when he drove into the train in front in fog. Most, it not all of the deaths on the underground are by people jumping (or being pushed) onto the tracks.

And you'd be able to cope with that would you? Cause I know plenty of people who've had to be let go or even took their own lives because they can't live with it. I guess that's all taken into account when pay rate for train drivers is discussed.

If you are so annoyed about it then get off your arse and in youer dead end job and do something about it.

But I had the chance to go for the job and I turned it down, I don't really fancy pulling into a platform and wondering whether somebody is going to jump infront of me.
Russ

22nd Dec 11 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do you do Dan and what do you earn?
Graham88

22nd Dec 11 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It is a bit more money than I earn, yes. But they still don't deserve it. There are hundreds of people that could do their job, just as well. And triple time, and a day in lieu on a bank holiday? Give it a rest. They stop work at midnight and don't have to work half the unsociable hours that lots of other people do.

Erm, trains get moved around at night aswell?
John

22nd Dec 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by John
Holding a lever on a train is not complicated and does not deserve that salary.

I however would not be complaining if it was me.

As Dom said, some pilots don't get that and it willl have cost (most) a second mortgage worth to get there.

day in day out, in a tunnel all day long? sounds worth the money mate.

It would be massively boring, it's something you can get paid loads for going in with no skills, which is a bonus for unskilled people.
Graham88

22nd Dec 11 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I very much doubt you'd get the job with no skills. Plenty of people apply for the jobs with years of rail or signalling experience, they'll get the job way before no experience will.
jacko198

22nd Dec 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a joke tbh, as said, pulling a few levers and getting paid that, couldnt believe it when i first heard!

I dont think there is 1 thing that can justify how much they get paid to start with. 3 times pay and a day off in lieu, GTF
sc0ott

22nd Dec 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find the price of tickets more shocking than this.
Welsh Dan

22nd Dec 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
so you are slagging them off then gave examples of two horrendous things a train driver may face

The only two things. And if it happens three times, and they get pensioned off. So whilst i'd not imagine that its a nice thing to deal with, its not one of those things that happens to every driver. And yes, I have had to deal with several suicides. Admittedly, not from people jumping in front of my car/train/lorry/rollerskates, but i've still had to deal with them. And telling the family, loved ones etc.

And I don't have a dead end job. Its a job for life, with good prospects. I enjoy my job, most of the time. I get a reasonable wage, but on the scheme of things, either i'm underpaid, or the tube driver is overpaid. I've got a good idea which one it is....

A close friend of mine was one of the first coppers on scene to the Tavistock Square bombing and had to deal with some of the most horrendous stuff I could ever imagine. And he gets paid less than £44k and has a far more dangerous job than any bloody tube driver.

[Edited on 22-12-2011 by Welsh Dan]
Dom

22nd Dec 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, people bring out the jealously card when others disagree

I don't think anyone here is jealous of a tube driver; it's more of the case of why the hell are they whining and striking when they already have a piss-taking 'cushdy' of a deal. Certainly I've yet to see anything that warrants the salary and benefits that is offered to tube drivers when compared to lesser paid more skilled, dangerous, stressful professions like short-haul pilots.

To be honest, i'm more annoyed/disgusted by the fact that the TFL allow this type of bullshite in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by John
As Dom said, some pilots don't get that and it willl have cost (most) a second mortgage worth to get there.

Sister-in law's uncle flies for Easyjet, get's naff all benefits (contracts) for £35k

[Edited on 22-12-2011 by Dom]
Russ

22nd Dec 11 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
so you are slagging them off then gave examples of two horrendous things a train driver may face

The only two things. And if it happens three times, and they get pensioned off.
oh in that case
Welsh Dan

22nd Dec 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

The only two things. And if it happens three times, and they get pensioned off.
oh in that case

It was meant in a "what else do they need to worry about" way.
Dom

22nd Dec 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Russ, thanks for the sarky input to this discussion; but why do you think tube drivers are worth £44.5k and 43 days annual holiday?

Paul_J

22nd Dec 11 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This whole thread makes me laugh.

People saying 'it's a joke they get paid that for pulling some levers'

There are far more joke jobs earning that much in offices imo - people who push emails about all day, or try to make up new regulations in their company just so they have some paper work to do.

If you looked into the public sector you would find a lot of people in pointless jobs who have basically created themselves a position and due to there being less regulation on efficiency in the public sector - it's allowed to go on.
Welsh Dan

22nd Dec 11 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely.

However, they aren't flaunting in peoples faces quite as much, and threatening tube strikes which inconvenience hundreds of thousands of people, not to mention put peoples lives at risk.
AlunJ

22nd Dec 11 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kicking a football around once a week isn't dangerous but I don't see many people complaining about the millions a year they make... Anyone who thinks its just about pushing a lever hasn't got a clue, not just anyone could do the job, hence the intense aptitude testing, near enough a years training, having to know what to do in any out of course situation, the list goes on.
Eddx14xe

22nd Dec 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A years training? That's nothing - see my previous post.
Graham88

22nd Dec 11 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so you keep mentioning 43 days annual leave, so you must all about get 25-27 days leave yes? Plus bank holidays of automatically, well nobody in LUL gets bank holidays off, hence it's included in the holiday. But then all the media perceive that at is the fact we get lots of holiday, but we barely get anymore than normal. I prefer it that way tbh.

But that's just a small part of things that doesn't get explained and it looks bad, but once explained it's actually quite realistic. I can't even be bothered to go into stuff when I'd say 90% of people in this thread just believe the media. If you were actually in the job you'd realise there's a little more to it than 'pushing a lever'.
Russ

22nd Dec 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Russ, thanks for the sarky input to this discussion; but why do you think tube drivers are worth £44.5k and 43 days annual holiday?

I don't. But I'm not moaning about it lol
Dom

22nd Dec 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes there are 'silly' overpaid jobs everywhere, football and office jobs included. But this is about tube drivers and transport so lets keep it on track (no pun intended).

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
...Anyone who thinks its just about pushing a lever hasn't got a clue, not just anyone could do the job, hence the intense aptitude testing, near enough a years training, having to know what to do in any out of course situation, the list goes on.

So you're saying tube drivers are worth the £44.5k and 43 days annual leave all because they have to undertake not-quite a years training, aptitude testing and an exam or two?

As I say again, short-haul pilots go through a lot more than that and take on a fair amount more responsibility for a lesser salarly and benefits. Granted there is the potential to earn more but that's why i say short-haul pilots rather than commercial pilots, as generally they tend to get shafted.
Dom

22nd Dec 11 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

I don't. But I'm not moaning about it lol

Nice one
Jake

22nd Dec 11 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
. I work in rail and I've seen drivers fired for silly mistakes.

like what?
ed

22nd Dec 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Sister-in law's uncle flies for Easyjet, get's naff all benefits (contracts) for £35k

... and you can be a Flybe Q400 driver and only get about £22k-£24k after you've spent £80k of your own money getting trained up and you're operating a very complex bit of kit!
Dom

22nd Dec 11 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Ok so you keep mentioning 43 days annual leave, so you must all about get 25-27 days leave yes? Plus bank holidays of automatically, well nobody in LUL gets bank holidays off, hence it's included in the holiday. But then all the media perceive that at is the fact we get lots of holiday, but we barely get anymore than normal. I prefer it that way tbh.

But that's just a small part of things that doesn't get explained and it looks bad, but once explained it's actually quite realistic. I can't even be bothered to go into stuff when I'd say 90% of people in this thread just believe the media. If you were actually in the job you'd realise there's a little more to it than 'pushing a lever'.

Usual Billy Bob on the street will get 36 days including the standard 8 days bank holiday; why is a tube driver entitled to an extra 7 days?

And they're wanting triple pay and time in lieu for working a contracted day

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

... and you can be a Flybe Q400 driver and only get about £22k-£24k after you've spent £80k of your own money getting trained up and you're operating a very complex bit of kit!

deano87

22nd Dec 11 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worst thing about the job is not being able to go for a piss or a shit when you want tbh.
ed

22nd Dec 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are lots of jobs where you can only piss and shit at certain times.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London Tube Drivers 22 database queries in 0.0196161 seconds